• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wayne Co. CPLs - Long waits 3 to 4 Months or more...why?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This came directly from the Clerks web page:
http://www.waynecounty.com/mygovt/clerk/services/ccw_faq.aspx

Q - How long does it take to get my CCW?
A - The approval time for a Concealed Pistol License is approximately 3-4 months. Your license will be sent to you by regular mail. All Concealed Pistol Licenses are issued for a period of no less than four (4) years and no more than five (5) years.
Plus when I asked the sheriff deputy at the desk he said they can go as long as five months! Again how do they get away with this?

DetroitBiker

imported post

Its not just CPL`s,Wayne County is the one of the worst Counties to get any documents or legal papers etc.. filedor picked up. Alot of the workers that I observed downtown are slow,lazy ,and just down right incompetent. When I moved from Wayne County to livingston County I noticed a huge difference in the way things are done.The workers actually go out of their way to help you out here. When I applied for my first CPL in Wayne County back in 2002 it took 8 months before I recieved it.

The Expert

imported post

I got mine in 85 days.

If you check the law that governs the issuance of CPLs I think you'll find that a "decision to approve" (or something like that) within 45 days.

Wayne Cty gives you the ability to check on your application online. Mine was "approved" well withing the 45 days required. It just took the extra time to print it up, stuff it in the envelope and mail it to me. They could stretch this "post-approval" period out as long as they want I think.

Also, I don't know what level of funding the State gives each Cty to fund the processing of these permits. Does the fee go to the Cty? To the State? Where does it go?

If it doesn't go to the Cty and they are required to process an overload of these, then it doesn't matter what type of laws the state makes concerning these things. The state could pass a law requiring the County to ensure that no more than 5 people are murdered within each county's borders each year. If the State didn't provide massive funding, Wayne Cty wouldn't get close and nobody could run around and say "How come the County is Adhering to State Law? Isn't it their responsibility to get the homicide down to under 5 p/year?"

There must be a backlog on these things too. My wife and I had to wait in line more than 4 hrs to turn our paperwork in and get our fingerprints taken on their computer thingy-ma-jiggy. It was on a Tuesday too in the middle of the day. Such backlog indicates and overwhelming demand the county is not prepared to address in a speedy manner without additional funding.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My understanding is that by law they have "under" 60 days? If that is true then why aren't they being fined or at least being forced to refund a part of the fees to the people that get theirs late? I Wayne Co. I assume this is nearly 100%? Does anyone know who people should send complaints too?

"I am mad as hell & I'm not going to take it anymore!" Quote from an old 70's movie that comes to mind here.
:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

autosurgeon

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
My understanding is that by law they have "under" 60 days? If that is true then why aren't they being fined or at least being forced to refund a part of the fees to the people that get theirs late? I Wayne Co. I assume this is nearly 100%? Does anyone know who people should send complaints too?

"I am mad as hell & I'm not going to take it anymore!" Quote from an old 70's movie that comes to mind here.
:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:
BC there is no punishment laid out in the law for when they fail to meet the requirements.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nice - those who swore to uphold the law choose to break it because they won't get in trouble! WTF? This is still America right? Why are we the law abiding citizens the only ones held to any standards?

Maybe we should start a "push" to let our elected MI officials know that we are as mad as hell! There should be a 5% refund issued for everyday they are late. That's fair & it sure would light a fire under their asses. If not they would lose millions of the only thing they understand ($$$dollars) !!!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

coffee4meplz wrote:
kyleplusitunes wrote:

I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!

ok, now what?
"Maybe we should start a "push" to let our elected MI officials know that we are as mad as hell! There should be a 5% refund issued for everyday they are late. That's fair & it sure would light a fire under their asses. If not they would lose millions of the only thing they understand ($$$dollars) !!! "

Do you have any other ideas? They can only help.;)
We have to do something about this, as it is going on across S.E. MI.
If gun board meetings are open to the public maybe we could attend in a large group to show our objection to these delays. If we got media coverage, my experience is things that could not or would not be done are suddenly applied and the problem(s) "magically" get fixed. POOF! All gone.;)

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just tried to call the Clerks office (313.224.6262) to get the meeting place & times of the Gun board. I couldn't find this info on their website. If it's there it sure is not easy to find? After going through a maze of options you end up at a rambling message that basically says due to layoffs & budget cuts it will take up to 48 hours to return a message??? Anyone out there know when & where the board meets?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Savage.Detroit

imported post

See http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17028

NickS from MGO
...Since I attend the Wayne County Gun Board meetings every month I've decided to use this opportunity to offer my services to those awaiting approval (or denial) of either their new or renewed application.

I will check the approval / denial list for your name and advise you ONLY if you are on the list. Do NOT ask me every month if your name was on the list!

This is what I need from you...

Once NickS lets you know you are approved my advice is to go downtown to the Wayne County office and ask for it. They will look you up and say you are not approve but be firm and ask them to check the paper records.

I was approved at the April 14th board but didn't receive mine until May 20th (80 days). It would have been later but I went down to the office insisted I was approved. There was a bit of polite back and forth but once I told them about Nick the supervisor did my CPL up right then and handed it to me.

Tao

imported post

Let this be a lesson.

Anytime you or anyone else is involved in drafting legislation, MAKE DAMN SURE there is a penalty written right into it.

Another good example are the spoiled children...err...cities that don't want to play well with others, and have limited days and times that one can get a purchase permit.

Why don't they follow the law, as further interpreted in an official opinion by the attorney general? No penalty, no teeth in the law to compel them to act.