• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Real idiots on Yahoo Answers

Aaron1124

imported post

So I was browsing Yahoo Answers, reading self defense stories from people. I found one that read this:

"My brother is a maintenance man for an apartment complex. He has been for several years. He has carried a concealed firearm, in accordance to the law, since he's been employed, even though it's strictly against company policies to carry a firearm while performing the duties of your job.

Anyway, last month on the 1st, an armed man in a ski mask came in to the office and demanded that they give him all of the cash from renters. The leasing agent was complying, but the man seemed like he was on drugs, and kept brandishing his firearm at her, and his finger was in the trigger. My brother was nearby, and took advantage of a clean shot he had. He opened fire, and killed the robber.
On a quick side note, I'm wondering if the robber was a former (or even current) resident, because he seemed aware that the apartment complex holds on to all of the money from renters until the 6th of the month when they send it to the management office. Not to mention there are several hundred units there.

Anyway, to skip to the chase, my brother was interviewed by the police, and the police and prosecutors office felt he acted within the realms of self defense, and was not charged, because his actions were considered "justifiable homicide" which fell under RCW 9A.16.050, which reads

RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

Anyway, he was terminated from his job because of his possession of a firearm. What are your thoughts on this entire situation? My brother is very proficient in firearms and firearm knowledge, and said the guy was exhibiting every bit of reason to think that the firearm could go off without him even intending to. In my eyes, his life, and the life of the leasing agent were in imminent danger, considering the robber had a gun, and was violently and carelessly brandishing it with his finger on the trigger."

Here's the first responder:

"Sounds like complete bull. Your brother was in no danger and at no point is it legal for some joe blow to shoot someone involved in a robber that the joe blow is not a part of. In other words, if you had a gun and walked by a liquor store that was being held up and you shot and killed the perp you would be in trouble, even moreso than the perp.

I call troll. A rare, clearly educated troll, but still a troll nonetheless."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, regardless of if the asker was trolling or not ( I give him the benefit of the doubt), why is it that the RCW is sitting there directly in front of the "answerer", and they completely disregard it, and claim that it's unlawful? That's exactly what I mean by being an idiot.

Tawnos

imported post

Yahoo answers = how is babby formed.

That is, nonsensical BS.

Just ignore it, you'll feel better.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I was using yahoo answers to find out about a phone number that kept calling the house.

On the same thread about my number is a lady asked a question about the same number cause it showed up on the hubbys cell phone many times. The answers that came back said he had to be cheating and that she should divorce him and get everything she could..... and they went on and on like that.

It turns out the number is from a solicitor for travel packages.......

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
So I was browsing Yahoo Answers, reading self defense stories from people. I found one that read this:

"My brother is a maintenance man for an apartment complex. He has been for several years. He has carried a concealed firearm, in accordance to the law, since he's been employed, even though it's strictly against company policies to carry a firearm while performing the duties of your job.

Anyway, last month on the 1st, an armed man in a ski mask came in to the office and demanded that they give him all of the cash from renters. The leasing agent was complying, but the man seemed like he was on drugs, and kept brandishing his firearm at her, and his finger was in the trigger. My brother was nearby, and took advantage of a clean shot he had. He opened fire, and killed the robber.
On a quick side note, I'm wondering if the robber was a former (or even current) resident, because he seemed aware that the apartment complex holds on to all of the money from renters until the 6th of the month when they send it to the management office. Not to mention there are several hundred units there.

Anyway, to skip to the chase, my brother was interviewed by the police, and the police and prosecutors office felt he acted within the realms of self defense, and was not charged, because his actions were considered "justifiable homicide" which fell under RCW 9A.16.050, which reads

Anyway, he was terminated from his job because of his possession of a firearm. What are your thoughts on this entire situation? My brother is very proficient in firearms and firearm knowledge, and said the guy was exhibiting every bit of reason to think that the firearm could go off without him even intending to. In my eyes, his life, and the life of the leasing agent were in imminent danger, considering the robber had a gun, and was violently and carelessly brandishing it with his finger on the trigger."

"Sounds like complete bull. Your brother was in no danger and at no point is it legal for some joe blow to shoot someone involved in a robber that the joe blow is not a part of. In other words, if you had a gun and walked by a liquor store that was being held up and you shot and killed the perp you would be in trouble, even moreso than the perp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, regardless of if the asker was trolling or not ( I give him the benefit of the doubt), why is it that the RCW is sitting there directly in front of the "answerer", and they completely disregard it, and claim that it's unlawful? That's exactly what I mean by being an idiot.
Aaron1124 as you quoted in RCW 9A.16.050 allows you to come to the defense of another, there is no argument there the troll is an idiot.

Second even though this person was with in their legal rights to defend another does not have nothing to do with employment unfortunately.

His actions were legal and as his firing was also.

Aaron1124

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

Aaron1124 as you quoted in RCW 9A.16.050 allows you to come to the defense of another, there is no argument there the troll is an idiot.

Second even though this person was with in their legal rights to defend another does not have nothing to do with employment unfortunately.

His actions were legal and as his firing was also.
I agree. I primarily pasted this Q&A here, because it seems that no matter what source you put in front of someone, they'll always have their blinders on, regardless of it coming straight from "the source" itself.

Dem0072

imported post

(given the story is true) I find it ridiculously ironic. They don't allow their employees to pack heat on the job site when tens of thousands of dollars are at steak, yet when one of the employees saves them from being robbed of that tens of thousands of dollars and potentially saves the womans life his thanks is being fired.

They seriously wonder why people mind their own business & turn the other cheek when shit hits the fan?

Aaron1124

imported post

Dem0072 wrote:
(given the story is true) I find it ridiculously ironic. They don't allow their employees to pack heat on the job site when tens of thousands of dollars are at steak, yet when one of the employees saves them from being robbed of that tens of thousands of dollars and potentially saves the womans life his thanks is being fired.

They seriously wonder why people mind their own business & turn the other cheek when @#$% hits the fan?
It's all about money and insurance. They feel it's too big of a liability. They put that before personal safety, apparently.

In my apartment lease, there is a paragraph that specifically says "All tenants are responsible for their own safety and security. Management and employees thereof, can not guarantee the safety and security of tenants. We do have a courteousy patrol officer, and if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to page them, or on site maintenance."

Quilbilly

imported post

When I discovered Yahoo Answers I thought "Now here is a good opportunity to help people get some answers that they really need". After several people picked the "Best Answers" that were just stupid rather than my own which were much better, I realized I was wasting my time. It is sad really.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Quilbilly wrote:
When I discovered Yahoo Answers I thought "Now here is a good opportunity to help people get some answers that they really need". After several people picked the "Best Answers" that were just stupid rather than my own which were much better, I realized I was wasting my time. It is sad really.

It's very unfortunate your welcome to the innawebzz wasn't very pleasant. I hope you are doing okay now, :p.

PT111

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
Yahoooooooooo ....... give me a break !
I know it is off target but after 30+ years in the PC business and about 17 in the Internet business I have reached theconclusion that no matter how much you hate Microsoft, I hate Yahoo & AOL twice as much.

Aaron1124

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Bersa.380 wrote:
Yahoooooooooo ....... give me a break !
I know it is off target but after 30+ years in the PC business and about 17 in the Internet business I have reached theconclusion that no matter how much you hate Microsoft, I hate Yahoo & AOL twice as much.
Amen to that..

AOL has to be the most overpriced internet provider for the crappiest service.