• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time driving to the LSRK

Nevada carrier

imported post

Planning on taking a drive from Las Vegas To Ventura Kalifornia. I understand I can still OC unloaded, but in what manner may I carry my firearms in my car while in Kalifornia? what places in Kalifornia must I be aware of that I may not carry under any circumstances?

Should I be stopped because I'm carrying what am I obligated to show the police? anything else I need to know about before I start my trip?

flagellum

imported post

Ooo, beautiful California. When carrying in a car, you must have the firearm in the trunk or a locked container separate from any ammunition. When you open carry it must be unloaded of course, and you may not be at any time within 1000 feet of a school, or else you are screwed. I'm sure Greengum will chime in as he as OC'd in Cali.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

You should check the CA section. They have a few CA printouts that summarize the laws there.

Make sure any guns you bring have magazines that are not larger than 10 rounds in capacity.

If you are bringing a handgun I would recommend having a locked case for transporting it in a vehicle. Under California law it is a felony offense to have a handgun knowingly within 1000 feet of a school without being in a locked case in your vehicle.

You can transport an unloaded long gun through a school zone without locking it up.

Make sure that whatever gun you bring is not considered an assault weapon under California law.

If you are stopped in California, the law allows the officer to check to see if your gun is loaded. Your gun must be unloaded everywhere where discharge of a firearm is illegal.

It is also generally illegal to carry a gun into government buildings in California.

Unloaded open carry is generally legal as long as you are not within 1000 feet of a school or in a government building.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

If you know you will not be driving within 1000 feet of a school you can keep handguns in plain sight. The school zone gun ban does not restrict "transport" of unloaded long guns through a school zone so it does not need to be in a trunk nor locked. In a school zone, your handguns must be locked up but you can keep the ammunition in the same container as long as the ammunition is not in the gun. A magazine can be loaded but it cannot be inserted into the gun. You also cannot conceal a loaded magazine other than in a locked case.

I.E., if you are unloaded open carrying, a legal format would be unloaded gun in holster on right, loaded magazine on left. Case law holds that if you had an unloaded gun in a holster and a loaded magazine in a pocket that it is the same as concealing the gun.

You should also read the actual penal code for yourself.

626.9, 12031, 12025 are some important ones but check the CA forum pamphlets to make it easier to find some other ones.

greengum

imported post

Wow the PRK. I DO NOT recommend you OC on a regular basis. However if you want to see people sh!t themselves and deal with the LAPD you must plan your trip out with google earth. For instance last time I oc'd in Kali I went to Fry's and UOC'd. Transport your gun at all times in a locked container while it is unloaded (PC 626 PC 626.9) because you will be within 1000' of a school. There are sooo many schools there. All of your bullets must be open carried as well unless you plan on using a revolver. 12031 (e) allows the police to take your firearm to inspect it for bullets.

There are active UOC'rs there and I recommend you post on the KAli forums and meet up with a couple to go over the finer points. It is like going to East Germany. Good luck!

flagellum

imported post

also I don't know how much this matters, but if his gun hasn't passed the california drop test can he still bring it there as well? I don't know if his has or not, but I know a couple of mine have not so it is very possible.

Remmy

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
Planning on taking a drive from Las Vegas To Ventura Kalifornia. I understand I can still OC unloaded, but in what manner may I carry my firearms in my car while in Kalifornia? what places in Kalifornia must I be aware of that I may not carry under any circumstances?

Should I be stopped because I'm carrying what am I obligated to show the police? anything else I need to know about before I start my trip?

Ahh Ventura, my home town, if your not taking the coast in HWY 10 to PCH your going to be traveling the 101, through Camarillo the cops are jack asses. Ventura PD is not bad but CHP are pricks, Oxnard PD are nervous, and well Port Hueneme have a few cops I know personally that are really cool. Ventura County sheriff's are absolute pricks and patrol all the outlying area and have jurisdiction in every city as well.

As everyone said your gun must be locked, and your ammo must be separate from the firearm IE locked in your glove box. This would pose a problem with UOCing anywhere as you would have to place your firearm into its holster from the case in your trunk. I would suggest using a paddle or some sort of quick disconnect holster system so you you dont have to have the firearm out of its holster at anytime. I am unsure of CAs brandishing laws but im sure they are strict as their gun laws.

I would also double check the laws in regards to capacity for your mags. I do know you cannot have over 10 rounds which is usually a 9+1 to be legal for any hand gun in CA. so if your mag holds 10 I would not do 10+1 but then again im not certain on the laws.

you wont have to deal with LAPD just as long as you dont get stopped on surface streets inside LA jurisdiction.

in Ventura I would stay away from the Avenues some shady shit goes down there. After all it is the birth place of the Hells Angles :)

Ventura is a pretty safe city in general and it has some really pretty places to visit. I love the city and all the surrounding cities just too bad its in such a Nazi State.

Ive never ever seen anyone UOC in the 805 period so im sure you'll have some great stories.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The California Safe handgun list involves a drop test but mainly it involves the manufacturer continuing to pay a regular fee to keep the gun on the list. It only applies to whether the gun can be sold in California, and does not make the guns become illegal. If it did then a California gun owner who had owned a pistol would suddenly own an illegal gun as soon as the manufacturer decided not to pay the fee to keep it on the list when it came up for renewal.

10 round magazines are fine in Califonia. I always bring 10 round magazines with 10 rounds loaded into them. Guns in California are sold with 10 round magazines. Not very many guns even have 9 round magazines. 10+1 is okay in areas where loaded carry is allowed, but loaded carry is only allowed where you can shoot legally.

You can lock a magazine into the same case as you lock a handgun into as long as the magazine is not in the handgun. The glove box does not count as a locked case under California law.

Nevada carrier

imported post

Well I just got back, I decided that I did not have enough time to adequately familiarize myself with KA law before I left so I decided to leave my firearms behind. it sounds to me like being a firearm owner in KA is a pain in the ass. it also appears that they have made the law so convoluted over there that they can find something to criminalize a firearms owner if they dig deep enough.

Just an aside, I avoided the 101 because its a nightmare in the evening heading west and equally bad in the morning heading east as the commuters are heading to and from work, so I just got off the 210 freeway at I-5 and got on 126 at Valencia. It adds a few miles to the trip, but it's a scenic drive and very little in the way of traffic. Plus, avoiding North Hollywood is a good idea if you're unarmed.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
The California Safe handgun list involves a drop test but mainly it involves the manufacturer continuing to pay a regular fee to keep the gun on the list. It only applies to whether the gun can be sold in California, and does not make the guns become illegal. If it did then a California gun owner who had owned a pistol would suddenly own an illegal gun as soon as the manufacturer decided not to pay the fee to keep it on the list when it came up for renewal.

10 round magazines are fine in Califonia. I always bring 10 round magazines with 10 rounds loaded into them. Guns in California are sold with 10 round magazines. Not very many guns even have 9 round magazines. 10+1 is okay in areas where loaded carry is allowed, but loaded carry is only allowed where you can shoot legally.

You can lock a magazine into the same case as you lock a handgun into as long as the magazine is not in the handgun. The glove box does not count as a locked case under California law.
why a drop test when they dont want it loaded anyway:?