• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Law Firm asks the Police to leave for Open Carry

Aaron1124

imported post

If someone from your home calls 911 to report domestic violence in the house (not toward you, but toward another resident in your home), do you think you have the right to tell the officer that he has to leave his firearm in the car while he conducts his investigation?

Are you serious, or trolling?

killchain

imported post

Doesn't requesting that a peace/police officer come to investigate a crime or give an official disposition imply that they want the officer to perform his duties in an official manner?

Which is covered by a ton of RCW's under LEO exemptions?

Aaron1124

imported post

killchain wrote:
Doesn't requesting that a peace/police officer come to investigate a crime or give an official disposition imply that they want the officer to perform his duties in an official manner?

Not necessarily all of the time, given the example that I posted above.

Or in a case where the business or private residence itself is under investigation, and the officer(s) have reasonable cause or a warrant.

killchain

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
killchain wrote:

Or in a case where the business or private residence itself is under investigation.
I was thinking along the lines of "I called 911 because I came home and someone's in my house, please help," and then trying to file a lawsuit because I didn't want the police officer to be armed in my home, even though I specifically requested aid from the police?

Aaron1124

imported post

killchain wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
killchain wrote:

Or in a case where the business or private residence itself is under investigation.
I was thinking along the lines of "I called 911 because I came home and someone's in my house, please help," and then trying to file a lawsuit because I didn't want the police officer to be armed in my home, even though I specifically requested aid from the police?
That's an obvious one, but I'm using other examples as well, such as the case of the other individual living in your home filing a domestic violence report, and then you, the home owner/head of household, telling them no, you can't enter unless you disarm.

killchain

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
killchain wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
killchain wrote:

That's an obvious one, but I'm using other examples as well, such as the case of the other individual living in your home filing a domestic violence report, and then you, the home owner/head of household, telling them no, you can't enter unless you disarm.
That makes sense. Good food for thought.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

deanf wrote:
Wow lots of citations to back up all the opinions being thrown about . . . .

:rolleyes:

:lol: You actually thought this was a formal discussion or debate that would require citation of statements. FYI, we are all walking citations, opinions, opinions :p

Stein

imported post

I think it would be a hoot if they met at a neutral site and the whole crowd was armed: cops, attorneys, defendants, everyone.

I will say that I respect their right to restrict their office. I think they are looney, but that's the great thing about this country - looney away if you want to.

deanf

imported post

You actually thought this was a formal discussion or debate that would require citation of statements.

Well it is traditional and expected OCDO behavior to provide citations to buttress one's arguments.

I don't know why we would suspend the rules just for this thread . . . .

again: :rolleyes:

Aaron1124

imported post

deanf wrote:
You actually thought this was a formal discussion or debate that would require citation of statements.

Well it is traditional and expected OCDO behavior to provide citations to buttress one's arguments.

I don't know why we would suspend the rules just for this thread . . . .

again: :rolleyes:
I'm not really sure where the RCW is that states that police officers are required to be armed at all times while they are on duty.

Aaron1124

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

That's like saying a home owner has a right to tell an officer that he has to leave his firearm in his vehicle while he's responding to a 911 call to the house.
At such a point, would a responding officer then be under any legal obligation to continue responding to the 911 call?
I suppose I should have said "conducting an investigation".