• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Badges - oh my

cscitney87

imported post

1st. If someone wants to wear a badge.. sweet.. to each his own.

2nd. If someone wants to wear a badge.. sweet.. to each his own.

There is No stigma attached to a badge. Badge does not equal cop or authority. Jews wore the Star of David as a badge in Nazi Germany.. No authority there.

Any argument against a badge might as well be an argument against steel toed boots or Addidas and Nikes. It's an article of clothing.. let it go.

crisisweasel

imported post

Walt_Kowalski wrote:
So, by carrying a bage and your OC, you will have a lot of folks ASSUMING that you are an LEO, and thus missing the point of OCing all together.

The point is to have more citizens OCing, so other citizens, see it, and accept it.

Walt's point here is spot on. And we're not talking about whether or not badges have any kind of technical legal force or authority but that they are perceived that way.

The RKBA in any permutation is an individual right, tied to some degree of sovereignty of the individual, in the context of a free human being, or citizen.

Badges to me represent authority, and I think they do to most people, regardless of whether or not they literally carry any authoritative weight.

Also, I've seen those CWP badges in magazines - they are sold by that company that makes prop guns and the like. They are the nerdiest thing I have ever seen in a gun magazine without exception. If the presence of such a thing provokes an eyeroll from me, you can only imagine what it would do with the general public who didn't mistake it for a police badge and saw it for what it was.

You're also likely to draw attention and be mistaken as a cop, which cannot be a good thing for your own safety.

You have a First Amendment right to carry any kind of cheesy badge you want (and a right to be free from the prospect of me pushing you into a locker, smashing your glasses, and stealing your bike). But I really wish people wouldn't do that.

Also those sashes are awful cute. Next time I want to look awful cute, maybe I'll wear one.

novasig226r

imported post

crisisweasel
The RKBA in any permutation is an individual right, tied to some degree of sovereignty of the individual, in the context of a free human being, or citizen.

But it's easier to carry a badge than the Constitution and Bill of Rights. :lol:

Seriously, though, you've brought up a very critical point. And being armed, by means of our RKBA, prevents that sovereignty and freedom from being yanked away (whether by force or not) by the government.

To suggest that the badge, and not the Constitution (by way of the 2A), indicates that one takes away the badge and the "right" to carry a gun goes with it.

ODA 226

imported post

steveinNEPA wrote:
Thats a SASH to be precise :D

That was posted on another forum I belong to when someone brought up the badges for OC or CC, ya know so the LEOs can tell the GOOD guys apart from the BAD guys :banghead:. Do a google search for CCW sash and YES you can actually buy those things, unfortunately. Look at it this way, if the badge isnt visible enough, get one of these, you are GUARANTEED to be noticed...

And when the cops respond, you'll still be treated as a bad guy...at least until they sort shit out.

This thread is retarded...

steveinNEPA

imported post

xODA 226 wrote:
steveinNEPA wrote:
Thats a SASH to be precise :D

That was posted on another forum I belong to when someone brought up the badges for OC or CC, ya know so the LEOs can tell the GOOD guys apart from the BAD guys :banghead:. Do a google search for CCW sash and YES you can actually buy those things, unfortunately. Look at it this way, if the badge isnt visible enough, get one of these, you are GUARANTEED to be noticed...

And when the cops respond, you'll still be treated as a bad guy...at least until they sort @#$% out.

This thread is retarded...
Exactly and agreed with the thread being retarded. Which is why I inserted sarcasm and the head banging wall thing... It doesn't make a difference and as others have said, badges defeat the purpose of OCing being accepted.

lukeshort

imported post

Why would anyone want to attract attention to themselves while carrying a weapon?

I don't trust anyone with a badge, let alone some schmuck with a totally illegitmate one. Just wear the damn gun inside or outside your pants and don't worry about trying to impress upon LEO's or John Q. Public, your one of the good guy's. Just smile and be polite to everyone, even the fascist you come across. It says a heck more than a badge.

If people are smart they are not going to trustsomeone they don't knowanyway, carrying a gun or not. And COP's don't know you from adam.You think someone else with a gun is going tobe relievedwhen you walk in the room with your badge?If ever I find myself at the business end of a cops weapon I'm not going to be showing him no badge. I'll be complying or in the process. If I have to protect me or mine from anyone and it justifies the use of a firearm, I'm not going to be showingno badge. So why do people keep bringing up the badge thing?

Now unless you want to wear a ten-gallon hat, fringed gloves with embroidered red stars, chaps and cowboy boots with your jeans tucked into them, then maybe it would be a good idea. LOL!

Tomahawk

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
I showed my ID card to the border guard.

On the back it said that I'm Jean-Luc Picard of the United Federation of Planets.

The world is full of stupid people.
But I got the pistol, so I'll keep the pesos...and that seems fair.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:
I showed my ID card to the border guard.

On the back it said that I'm Jean-Luc Picard of the United Federation of Planets.

The world is full of stupid people.
But I got the pistol, so I'll keep the pesos...and that seems fair.
Damn you beat me too it. Now I know what will be going through my head all day.

Mo

Banned
imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
Also, I've seen those CWP badges in magazines - they are sold by that company that makes prop guns and the like. They are the nerdiest thing I have ever seen in a gun magazine without exception. If the presence of such a thing provokes an eyeroll from me, you can only imagine what it would do with the general public who didn't mistake it for a police badge and saw it for what it was.

You're also likely to draw attention and be mistaken as a cop, which cannot be a good thing for your own safety.

You have a First Amendment right to carry any kind of cheesy badge you want (and a right to be free from the prospect of me pushing you into a locker, smashing your glasses, and stealing your bike). But I really wish people wouldn't do that.

Also those sashes are awful cute. Next time I want to look awful cute, maybe I'll wear one.
^^^I approve this message^^^

Exactly. What a shame we have wannabes making a mockery of OC.

Take the badge and conceal it up your butt.

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

BADGES? We don't need no steenking BADGES!

Sorry, couldn't resist. If you want to go out and buy yourself a tin star, hey free country I guess. You could probably get a good deal on a white hat and a Lone Ranger mask and really complete the costume. :lol:

I just dont see the point of wearing a badge. If you aren't an LEO, it means absolute ZIPPO.

1245A Defender

imported post

the only reason anyone would want to wear a badge is so people will think he has power or authority!!
i know a guy that boosts his ego and power by telling people that he used to work in the CIA!!
thats the "controlled industrial area" of the ship yard here in bremerton... he was a welder..

cscitney87

imported post

Personally.... why would you want to wear a badge? I get it.. that some places Only allow you to carry concealed.. so you feel like wearing a badge is your way of sneaking around the laws and still trying to tell people "hey I have a gun" and I think that's silly. When I carry concealed.. it's concealed for a reason. If you can carry open.. no badge needed.