• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just moved to Colorado

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Greetings everyone. I moved from Michigan and thought I'd drop in and say hi to my new neighbors and hopefully get some help finding the "laws" (links) on open carry and concealed carry.

I have a Michigan concealed permit, which I know is only valid in Colorado until I change my address from Michigan. I also know that I can open carry here, as I could in Michigan, but some of the regulations are a bit different and there are some cities/counties that prohibit OC.

I already had a bad OC experience at a damn outdoor gun range, which I will explain in another post after I'm done dealing with the situation. I hope all of the DOW workers aren't idiots. /rant

Thank you in advance for any information.

Yooper

imported post

This is probably the best bet for figuring out the laws.
http://www.rmgo.org/faq/

This one from the CBI list the statues that you need to know.
http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/InstaCheck_Statutes.html

In a nutshell, you can OC everywhere except Denver City/County. You can OC/CC in your car without a permit, and you can CC while hunting without a permit. Watch out for "Denver Mountain Parks" because they are the property of the City & County of Denver, and prohibit OC as well.

Where in Grand County are you? Winterpark/Fraser/Tabernash area? Granby/Grand Lake? Hot Sulpher Springs/Parshall, or Kremmling?

cscitney87

imported post

I moved from Michigan in 2006. Detroit area- all over the Metro. Let me know if you need a new friend or just someone to talk to that can relate.

Best of luck! Colorado is a Whole New Ballgame. Enjoy the low humidity!!

Kingfish

imported post

As a followup...

I have read El Paso county is taking the full 90 days to issue a permit.

Are all counties like this? Any of them quicker than others?

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I moved from Michigan in 2006. Detroit area- all over the Metro. Let me know if you need a new friend or just someone to talk to that can relate.

Best of luck! Colorado is a Whole New Ballgame. Enjoy the low humidity!!
Thanks for the info Yooper.

Thank you for the welcome also cscitney. Friends are a good thing to have. A new ballgame in what respects?

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Culture and weather are just two examples. Laws and civil liberties are two more examples.

So far, I haven't had much culture. The weather does take some getting used to. Big change for sure. It seems the laws are a bit "better" and civil liberties are moreso in tact as well (from what research I have done).

Kingfish

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
Culture and weather are just two examples. Laws and civil liberties are two more examples.

So far, I haven't had much culture. The weather does take some getting used to. Big change for sure. It seems the laws are a bit "better" and civil liberties are moreso in tact as well (from what research I have done).
One of the MAJOR cultural differences I noticed on our visit was the lack of "thugs". Living in Atlanta it was a very welcome change.