• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Biddeford

boyscout399

imported post

I was asked by the general manager to leave Walmart in Biddeford today for open carrying. I complied and told him I would file a complaint with the corporate office which I have done. Until I hear back from them I would suggest we all take our business and our dollars elsewhere.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

boyscout399 wrote:
I was asked by the general manager to leave Walmart in Biddeford today for open carrying. I complied and told him I would file a complaint with the corporate office which I have done. Until I hear back from them I would suggest we all take our business and our dollars elsewhere.
That's too bad. I really wish they would tell their managers to just comply with the state laws...

boyscout399

imported post

Just heard back from Walmart and they reiterated that it's now up to individual store managers. I called Walmart corporate again and told them that I would get as many people as I can to not shop at their stores considering their new policy.

So shop at Target. They've always been fine with me.

That is all

rhenriksen

imported post

boyscout399 wrote:
Just heard back from Walmart and they reiterated that it's now up to individual store managers. I called Walmart corporate again and told them that I would get as many people as I can to not shop at their stores considering their new policy.

That is all
???? That would be a huge change in Walmart policy. Which corporate office did you contact, and who gave you that information?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rhenriksen wrote:
boyscout399 wrote:

That is all
???? That would be a huge change in Walmart policy. Which corporate office did you contact, and who gave you that information?
As far as I knew this has been their policy all along? There are many, many posts about this stating just that, that it's the managers decision.

rhenriksen

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
rhenriksen wrote:
boyscout399 wrote:

That is all
As far as I knew this has been their policy all along? There are many, many posts about this stating just that, that it's the managers decision.
I won't speak specifically for Walmarts in Maine, but everywhere else across the country, Walmarts' corporate policy has been to abide by state & local laws. Whenever an employee or manager has tried to run counter to state or local laws, the corporate office has *always* intervened and trained/corrected the local store personnel.

jay75009

imported post

wal-mart in mexico ME has no issue with OC. Mangers name is chuck or *chucky* haha personal friend and supporter of OC. personally told me he doesnt have an issue as long as weapons stay holstered.

I've been asked twice to leave Scarborough, and hell i dont even OC in biddo cause the PD there is ....well worse than portland when it comes to OC.

Somersworth NH is great with OC.

windham walmart is against it.

but as someone mentioned before. i've also never had an issue with Target "who by the way has uniformed security" and they seem to have no issue either. :)

MrJoshua

imported post

I've been boycotting Wal-Mart for years. Can't stand the place. The last straw for me was when they introduced receipt checkers a few years back. Why the hell should I have to prove that what is in my bag is on my receipt?

I don't care if ammo is cheaper there. The cost of my dignity is worth a lot more...

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MrJoshua wrote:
I've been boycotting Wal-Mart for years. Can't stand the place. The last straw for me was when they introduced receipt checkers a few years back. Why the hell should I have to prove that what is in my bag is on my receipt?

I don't care if ammo is cheaper there. The cost of my dignity is worth a lot more...
I'm confused? Receipt checkers? Nobody has ever checked my receipt unless the alarm went off, and than they barely looked. But, I as well dislike wal-mart simply because they don't treat their employees well, although seeing as I'm on a college kid budget I'll shop wherever I can save a penny unless they don't allow me to protect myself.

MrJoshua

imported post

Perhaps they are not at all stores? I know they used to check bags at the Brunswick store. Maybe they stopped after too many honest customers complained?

Heh, anyway... Perhaps if more people were allowed to carry at Wal-Mart, there would be less theft and they wouldn't have to resort to checking my receipt in the first place?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MrJoshua wrote:
Perhaps they are not at all stores? I know they used to check bags at the Brunswick store. Maybe they stopped after too many honest customers complained?

Heh, anyway... Perhaps if more people were allowed to carry at Wal-Mart, there would be less theft and they wouldn't have to resort to checking my receipt in the first place?
Well, I don't think that the OC'ing would stop people from stealing from a store because the OC'er wouldn't ever directly stop a theft at a store like that, just simply tell the manager/employee. Although, perhaps the person that is stealing will feel like their actions are being more scrutinized because there is a law-abiding upstanding citizen shopping there as well? At the wal-mart up here I carry everytime I go (Well, I carry everywhere I go anyways) and I went to buy ammo, they checked my id (barely) and laughed that they had bothered to check it after they realized that I was carrying. Apparently they just assumed that since I was carrying I was at least 21, which is false but who knows what they are thinking?

MrJoshua

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:

Well, I don't think that the OC'ing would stop people from stealing from a store because the OC'er wouldn't ever directly stop a theft at a store like that, just simply tell the manager/employee. Although, perhaps the person that is stealing will feel like their actions are being more scrutinized because there is a law-abiding upstanding citizen shopping there as well? At the wal-mart up here I carry everytime I go (Well, I carry everywhere I go anyways) and I went to buy ammo, they checked my id (barely) and laughed that they had bothered to check it after they realized that I was carrying. Apparently they just assumed that since I was carrying I was at least 21, which is false but who knows what they are thinking?
Here's a question: Would you draw on a couple who are loading stolen TVs into their pickup through a side door? (This happened at the Brunswick Wally World once; the stealing of TVs that is, nobody had a firearm.) I wonder if that extent of burglary is enough justified cause to hold them at gunpoint until authorities arrive?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MrJoshua wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:

Here's a question: Would you draw on a couple who are loading stolen TVs into their pickup through a side door? (This happened at the Brunswick Wally World once.) I wonder if that extent of burglary is enough justified cause to hold them at gunpoint until authorities arrive?
Unless someones life is in immediate danger I personally wouldn't draw. Unless I'm in fear for my life, or the life of another human being I will not draw. There is no law in Maine saying that you can protect someone elses property. There is a law however stating that you can protect your own (although I think it's only in your home) But I'm sure boyscout will come along and post the statutes, he's good at finding them! Really good, actually. There are even threads throughout OCDO that state unless the person that is harassing you has a weapon they won't draw because they aren't afraid for their life, they're just simply going to get their ass kicked. BUT each situation is different and we never know what we'll really do, unless we're actually in the situation! Keep up the good work OC'ing and hope to see you on the 11th! :)

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

gutshot wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:

Here's a question: Would you draw on a couple who are loading stolen TVs into their pickup through a side door? (This happened at the Brunswick Wally World once; the stealing of TVs that is, nobody had a firearm.) I wonder if that extent of burglary is enough justified cause to hold them at gunpoint until authorities arrive?
No, it is not enough. Anyone, not in his own home, who would draw a gun on a burglar is asking to go to jail. That doesn't mean you have to do nothing, there are other alternatives. What you can do is yell, "What the hell is going on here. Stop stealing those TV sets." If they approach you, or worse, you can then defend yourself from the perceived threat of an assault by drawing you weapon. Of course, you would have you're weapon in a state of readiness before you announce yourself. Should they just turn and run, you've done enough. Call the cops or the owner and wait.
This varies from state to state my friend... There is not one answer for every state, or situation.

Deuce1911

imported post

yea but state law requires them to post any relavant rules or policies in a easily accesable place. whats the point of the law or any law for that matter if the store can just come over and ask you to leave because you have pink hair or are talking on your cell phone too loudly. if its aloud then thats the end of it. As for the drawing on burglars at the store.....

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/17-a/title17-asec104.html

from what ive read ill take my chances and draw on em while i or someone else calls the police. not to mention that i personally beleive that it is the civil duty of armed law abiding citizens to stop such things. now we can all shout back what ifs and buts.

Deuce1911

imported post

oh by the way sanford walmart is cool with OC i go there all the time and no one says anything or even bats an eye. also KTP is no OC now. ran into summerof95 there at the door. he works there and kindly informed me i couldnt OC. long story short we shot the S for a few and i put my gun back in the car and went about my shopping.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Deuce1911 wrote:
oh by the way sanford walmart is cool with OC i go there all the time and no one says anything or even bats an eye. also KTP is no OC now. ran into summerof95 there at the door. he works there and kindly informed me i couldnt OC. long story short we shot the S for a few and i put my gun back in the car and went about my shopping.
Your saying that the Kittery trading Post is a no-oc area?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
Deuce1911 wrote:
Your saying that the Kittery trading Post is a no-oc area?
e-mail sent. i'm going to call them tomorrow as well.