• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB308 passes, HB291 vetoed

groats

imported post

We finally got rid of the 140-year-old Jim Crow laws that made it difficult for everyone (except the criminals) to carry!

aadvark

imported post

Too bad Jim Crow lives on through the newly-revamped 16-11-126!

In Georgia, I still need a stickin' Permit to Carry a Pistol, although I prefer Long Guns to Pistols.

Sigh...

Better than nothing, I guess...

Hopefully, though, and one day soon, we will join the majority of The Nation of this issue.

PT111

imported post

aadvark wrote:

In Georgia, I still need a stickin' Permit to Carry a Pistol, although I prefer Long Guns to Pistols.

Sigh...

Hopefully, though, and one day soon, we will join the majority of The Nation of this issue.
I thought GA was an OC state without a permit. Do you need a permit ot OC?

Hef

imported post

PT111 wrote:
aadvark wrote:

Sigh...

I thought GA was an OC state without a permit. Do you need a permit ot OC?

Need a permit to carry, no distinction between open or concealed.

rmodel65

imported post

yeah you gotta have a permit...if you dont have a permit we honor you can easily get a PA nonresident for 26$...

zekester

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
yeah you gotta have a permit...if you dont have a permit we honor you can easily get a PA nonresident for 26$...

My understanding is that you must have a permit issued by your state before PA will issue a non resident permit.

(e)(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

• (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

rmodel65

imported post

zekester wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:

My understanding is that you must have a permit issued by your state before PA will issue a non resident permit.

(e)(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
  • (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

yeah you need a home permit seeing how the guy is in SC i was replying too i assume he has one since there is no open carry there....

aadvark

imported post

In Georgia, one only needs a License for Knifes and Hanguns.

On the other hand, one does not need a License for Long Guns or any other Hand-held Weapon.

A License is required to Carry the former..., regardless, as to whether or not they are Carried Openly or Concealed.

The later Weapons may only be Carried Openly, but not Concealed.

PT111

imported post

I am from SC and have a SC and a NH permit so I assume the the NH permit works in GA. I got the NH permit primarily for GA but strangely since I have had it I have not been to GA. I am not sure why but I was thinking that GA did not require a permit to OC so thanks for letting me know. I am not for any kind of federal cwp at all but I think that states should be more uniform in gun laws. Even the suttle differences are amazing not to mention the major differences. Things like you can carry a gun all you want but just can't have any ammo nearby are crazy.

aadvark

imported post

Georgia and South Carolina are worlds apart on Firearm-related Laws. For example:

1. A Georgia Weapons Carry License does not share Reciprocity with a South Carolina Concealed Carry Permit, or vice-versa.

2. It is still Illegal in South Carolina, unlike Georgia, to Carry any Firearm into any Restaurant or Bar that serves Alcohol for consumption on-premises.

3. South Carolina does not allow Open Carry at all, except Long Guns, which even then can be potentially regulated by Local Governments under SCC 23-31-520.

rmodel65

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I am from SC and have a SC and a NH permit so I assume the the NH permit works in GA. I got the NH permit primarily for GA but strangely since I have had it I have not been to GA. I am not sure why but I was thinking that GA did not require a permit to OC so thanks for letting me know. I am not for any kind of federal cwp at all but I think that states should be more uniform in gun laws. Even the suttle differences are amazing not to mention the major differences. Things like you can carry a gun all you want but just can't have any ammo nearby are crazy.

hey PT111 do you have any idea if open carry of a black powder pistol is legal in SC?? ive read the laws there and BP isnt a "gun" under the permit system and the law said all other weapons had to be carried openly