• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-Police sentiment among Oregon Open Carry???

do you feel ALL Law Enforcement Officers are to be feared and distrusted

• Total voters

TheHossUSMC

imported post

First of all Citizen, this was a poll for Oregonians regardless of the motives. We love Teddy here on the Oregon portion of this forums, and though we may disagree at times he is ours, so I'm here to back him up.

I read all of the posts in the other thread and agree that the conversation was a bit heated, but that doesn't allow you to come here bash a member, which I'm pretty sure is against the rules.

Lets focus on the arguments and not the participants if we determine the other side cannot, then do not participate. You know that I agree with your position, but if Teddy wants to back up his statement with this poll then that is his business.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
First of all Citizen, this was a poll for Oregonians regardless of the motives. We love Teddy here on the Oregon portion of this forums, and though we may disagree at times he is ours, so I'm here to back him up.

I read all of the posts in the other thread and agree that the conversation was a bit heated, but that doesn't allow you to come here bash a member, which I'm pretty sure is against the rules.

Lets focus on the arguments and not the participants if we determine the other side cannot, then do not participate. You know that I agree with your position, but if Teddy wants to back up his statement with this poll then that is his business.

9) No stalking of other users. This includes creating accounts with similar names, avatars and personal information in an attempt to confuse others as to the views of the original poster.

I would say that Citizens response on this thread borders on violating Rule 9.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

Let me be clear that I was trying to gently remind that we should be attacking the argument of the posters and not the posters themselves. I realize that to Teddy this is a big issue for him, and that we should just agree to disagree, let it go and move on to fighting the good fight for OCers.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

please friends, allow me to clarify my reason for starting this thread.....

i wanted the information that i did not have. period, not trying to change anyones position at all....

i asked for oregon residents to tell me how they feel about the police via the poll and then to give me the reasons why in the thread.

why? citizen was absolutley correct in connecting this thread to another one here that i felt bashed police as a group.... i was looking to see if the prevailing attitude was anti-cop...not just a healthy wariness, but total anti leo.

why does it matter? well it matters to me, if the overall shade of this group was anti-leo, its not for me..... as the name of the group is OPENCARRY, i fully believe in it and support it 100%.... but since its not named "anti-leo" i feared i had joined the wrong group.... i needed the information to make the right choice.

as far as the stalking by the "founder" i knew i would have his comments, i also knew that i would dismiss them as having no merit on the face since he is not a citizen of oregon and this was an oregon thread and poll.

and thanks for the support guys but i am not fragile....i really can take it when people do not agree with my point of view.... heck, i know WTP and we rarely agree on specifics but we totally agree on GUNS, MOTORCYCLES, CIGARS, GOOD BOOZE AND BEAUTIFUL WOMEN... again, not in the details but in the overall goodness of them.....

and now for the "founder".... he tries to bait me, the name calling, mis-stating my nick, trying to insult my intellegence, implying that i have not thought my position thru etc etc etc.... all standard tricks to veterans of any forum..... but i shall not respond, it takes away his power and eventually he will go elsewhere....and if not, he WILL eventually violate rule 9 and i will report him (but as a founder i have ZERO confidence in any help from those who run this board because like the police he bashes, i am sure they protect thier own)

and lastly, thanks for the good thread and poll.... the overwhelming majority do not fear the police..... so this is not an anti-cop forum but a progun forum and i shall stall and participate

and to the founder..... :p

Semper Fly (former USAF) to my jarhead bros

cassterr

imported post

Wow so this thread got interesting over the weekend.
Teddy I went back and was reading some of your posts like this one:

Teddybearfrmhell wrote:
The past few days i have been wondering if i was the exception to the rule or the norm....

with all the anti-cop feeling voiced here on another thread, i was just wondering how other oregon citizens feel...... but first, i shall put my neck out and tell you how i feel....

#1 I have been arrested twice, i was guilty BOTH times, i was stupid and i got caught, i paid the price for MY actions.... i do not fear the police

#2 The police in do the best job they can under the circumstances and guidlines they have..... i do not fear the police

#3 There was a local incedent here in medford which i believe with all my heart was a violation of this mans 2,4, and 5th Ammendment rights in addition to many civil rights and maybe even his right to privacy reguarding his workplace records and files..... and yet i do not fear the police ....

#4 I have been pulled over by the police for a traffic violation , while open carrying..... and was let off with a warning, my handgun was never mentioned...... i do not fear the police.

#5 I open carry on my motorcycle EVERY time i ride.... police see it, they do not harrass .... i do not fear the police.....

i contend that the police i have had contact with are hard working low paid guys doing a tough job to the best of their ability.... i also contend that locally, their superiors are pea brains with no idea what their actions mean.

as i have said before...... i do not fear the police until they show up on my doorstep to take away my guns..... i go from patriot to rebel with that one knock.

i would love to hear from other oregunners on this, your feelings, experiences etc etc. i am trying to figure out if i joined the wrong group.....

i am here to advocate open carry, not bash the police.....

and i really am only interested in the replies from current oregon residents about current oregon police experiences.....

thank you

and now I'm kind of curious about something. How do YOU define "anti?" When I think of the prefix "anti" I think of "opposed to" or "against. In the topic of this thread you said, "anti-police" but then in your opening statement you focused on trusting police. So I was wondering if having a distrust for someone or a group of people meant, in your opinion, that you are now "anti" towards them. Let me give you an example of why I don't think the two overlap. Every time I slam on my brakes I fear the person behind me may not do the same and I prepare to react accordingly. This fear or distrust in the person behind me doesn't mean that I'm anti-car or anti-driver. I'm not against them but I'm also not going to assume the person behind me will do the right thing and stop as well. I think this same thing applies to law enforcement. I'm not against them and I do not appose them, I think they serve a vital role in our community. I do not however, always trust the way they are trained to react (at least in oregon) or their judgments (they are human). Does that put me in the anti group?

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

casster, if you read my posts, you would know that i DO trust the police , our legal system and most things about our country....i also have come across a faction here in OPENCARRY that are anti-police cop bashers.....

and since they are founders of the group, i put this thread together to find out if this was the predominant feeling for the local oregon group.

the poll that i attached is either trust or distrust..... not pro or anti..... the poll was the information i was looking for... the rest of the thread is anticdotal.....

so while i trust the brakes on my car, i am not totally pro brake, when the light is green i am mostly anti-brake.

cassterr

imported post

Teddybearfrmhell wrote:
casster, if you read my posts, you would know that i DO trust the police , our legal system and most things about our country....i also have come across a faction here in OPENCARRY that are anti-police cop bashers.....

and since they are founders of the group, i put this thread together to find out if this was the predominant feeling for the local oregon group.

the poll that i attached is either trust or distrust..... not pro or anti..... the poll was the information i was looking for... the rest of the thread is anticdotal.....

so while i trust the brakes on my car, i am not totally pro brake, when the light is green i am mostly anti-brake.
I never said you didn't trust the police. I said your opening statement "focused on trusting police." I know the title of the poll had to do with trust or distrust but the title of the thread "anti-police sentiment among oregon open carry" had to do with anti-police. I understand that your intent is to get an over-all feeling of this forums view on law enforcement. But what I want to know is that in your opinion, does the distrust of law enforcement make you anti-law-enforcement?

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

i will ask, how can the distrust of law enforcement make one PRO-law enforcement?

i suppose in some convluted way someone can make the arguement that being PRO-lawenforcement applies to the theory of the enforcement of law buttheydistrust the actual way it is executed?....

i shall let you define the terms how you will, you can answer as you wish..... you may surmise what you can and make any assumption that you need to make a vote or give an antecdote..... i have stated how i feel, the reasons why and what information i was looking for.

are the police trustworthy or not..... the begining and end of this thread.

We-the-People

imported post

"The Police" as a whole are trying to do the best job they can in a difficult position. I empathize with that. I used to do ride alongs with my father quite often. One night in a dense fog we got a call from the county south of us that they had a car running north and were in pursuit. Mind you, this was in fog where "code 3" we were only doing about 45 mpg and the officer needing asistance was reporting the suspect vehicle doing 70 and better. The adrenaline was pumping, there was no way for my dad to drop me off so I was along for the ride, wherever it might go.

We pick up bits and pieces from the pursuing officer as he can give them (solo in a high speed chase in dense fog the radio is secondary). It's a VW RABBIT DIESEL of all things, running from a Mustang CHP car. Long story short, they bail about a mile ahead of us and we're stressed, searching for the patrol unit. We find it, lights on, against a fence on our side of the freeway, no officer in sight.I tell you what, I'm damn glad I knew where the shotgun release was!!!!

The other officer had the driver in the median and walked out of the fog as my dad is calling for more backup. Turns out they were gangbangers and had three stolen weapons under the rear seat. Fortunately they couldn't get to them as one of them had a full leg cast and couldn't get out of the car before the pursuing officer had cuffed them all up.

Cops have a diffcult job and they are almost always dealing with people who are not having a good day whether it's because they're a criminal that just got busted, a vicitm, or the poor soul broken down on the side of the road. Overall, across this nation, they do an outstanding job with the limited resources they have.

HOWEVER, the police, in their many manifestations (city, state, federal, etc) are the only people in this country that have the power to remove your liberty. No they don't convict you, but they provide the testimony that does. IF you meet one of the few who is, shall we say "less than honest" and willing to "bend the truth" if necessary. Believe me when I tell you that many an officer has testified "I don't recall" to a piece of evidence that would exonerate an accused.

So, considering that my law abiding ass could end up in jail if I come across one of these few "bad apples", I most definitely do NOT TRUST the police.

It is not from hatred or because I am a criminal. It is mere self preservation. The same reason I carry an audio recorder whenever I carry outside of my "comfort zone" around my own general area and most of the time while within it.

I know you were military Teddy, In the Corps we had the "10 percent", I'm sure you're familiar with that term. While I don't think "problem officers" are 10% of the total, it can not be denied that there is a percentage that are.

Still, were I to come across an officer that needed assistance I would provide it without hesitation. Nor do I hesitate to call them when they are needed such as when we had a vehicle vs deer accident in front of our house. But I still have that niggle in my mind and my senses go to full alert when they are around.

Phlip74

imported post

Your poll gave you some respect points from me! I think your veiws are exceptional, I also think you keep a very cool head, even when baited intentially. I don't know much about you but you, if you were not already, would make an excelent soldier. Cool and clam even when under fire. Thanks for the poll I was also wondering the same thing as that is why I don't post much here myself, because I feel the anti police attitude and I am glad to find out that here in Oregon we don 't fear the Police, even though there are quite a few bad ones. I also like that most of us here in Oregon are about the OC, aspect not the Police aspect.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

Phlip74 wrote:
Your poll gave you some respect points from me! I think your veiws are exceptional, I also think you keep a very cool head, even when baited intentially. I don't know much about you but you, if you were not already, would make an excelent soldier. Cool and clam even when under fire. Thanks for the poll I was also wondering the same thing as that is why I don't post much here myself, because I feel the anti police attitude and I am glad to find out that here in Oregon we don 't fear the Police, even though there are quite a few bad ones. I also like that most of us here in Oregon are about the OC, aspect not the Police aspect.

thank you for the comments philip, i always appreciate participation in the threads and am glad to find that much like myself, many of us have a wariness but not a fear when dealing with the police.

i am not a soldier, nor have i ever been..... ALTHOUGH i am a USAF veteran, spent some time running around doing NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Warfare) and stuff when i was a much younger and thinner version of myself...... so while i will not claim to be a soldier, they have my respect all, soldiers , sailors, airmen, and marines.

i hope to see more posts from you, even when we disagree... and i am sure we will, i have been called disagreeable by many!

:)

We-the-People

imported post

Okay, I will change my use of the word "fear" to "wariness" that does fit better with the conflict within myself from knowing that most are great guys doing a tough job while knowing that a bad encounter could ruin my life for no good reason.

I am very wary of LEO's when OCing.