• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

using bug spray as self defense?

Tony Santiago

imported post

what if all you have on you is a can of bug spray or something, and someone is seriusluy attacking you. can you legally use the bug spray and spray that person, even thought it can cause serious permenant damage?

Aaron1124

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
what if all you have on you is a can of bug spray or something, and someone is seriusluy attacking you. can you legally use the bug spray and spray that person, even thought it can cause serious permenant damage?
Last I heard, a firearm can cause serious, permanent damage and/or DEATH!
I'm sure if you absolutely had to use it for legitimate self defense, you could get away without being charged. That label is there to tell you not to go around spraying people with it.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:
I'm sure if you absolutely had to use it for legitimate self defense, you could get away without being charged. That label is there to tell you not to go around spraying people with it.

This is why I am losing faith in many of you on this forum. Tony is a troll, look at his posts. This has nothing to do with OCDO.

You seem to want to argue for arguments sake and want to be right. Get over it and move on.

Aaron1124

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:

This is why I am losing faith in many of you on this forum. Tony is a troll, look at his posts. This has nothing to do with OCDO.

You seem to want to argue for arguments sake and want to be right. Get over it and move on.
Not really. I'm just stating my opinion and my thoughts as how it would pan out. If someone asks a question, then I'll answer it with my thoughts. It's not really anything more complicating than that.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Actually this does have to do with self defense and I know this forum is mainly dedicated to open carry but it is a mode of carry as concealed carry is as well.

The issue I am bringing forward is call the law of necessity in Washington State and many other states if you can show by a preponderance of the evidence.

This allows one to break a law to prevent a greater evil.

Note this does not apply if the illegal act was preplanned as if you were to carry into a bar and then a robbery occurred, necessity as a defense would not be available.
If the robbery was occurring and you ran outside and retrieved from your car and then entered the bar it would be.
You cannot break a law ahead of time, so if the bug or wasp spray was used in self defense but you did not buy it for the purpose then necessity for a defense may be used.

Part IV. Defenses
WPIC CHAPTER 18. Miscellaneous Defenses

WPIC 18.02 Necessity—Defense

Necessity is a defense to a charge of __________ if(1) the defendant reasonably believed the commission of the crime was necessary to avoid or minimize a harm; and(2) the harm sought to be avoided was greater than the harm resulting from a violation of the law; and(3) the threatened harm was not brought about by the defendant; and(4) no reasonable legal alternative existed.The defendant has the burden of proving this defense by a preponderance of the evidence. Preponderance of the evidence means that you must be persuaded, considering all the evidence in the case, that it is more probably true than not true. If you find that the defendant has established this defense, it will be your duty to return a verdict of not guilty [as to this charge].​

Ruby

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
Why would you even care if it causes serious permanent damage if he is seriously attacking you?!? Duh!!

Aaron1124

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Actually this does have to do with self defense and I know this forum is mainly dedicated to open carry but it is a mode of carry as concealed carry is as well.

The issue I am bringing forward is call the law of necessity in Washington State and many other states if you can show by a preponderance of the evidence.

This allows one to break a law to prevent a greater evil.

Note this does not apply if the illegal act was preplanned as if you were to carry into a bar and then a robbery occurred, necessity as a defense would not be available.
If the robbery was occurring and you ran outside and retrieved from your car and then entered the bar it would be.
You cannot break a law ahead of time, so if the bug or wasp spray was used in self defense but you did not buy it for the purpose then necessity for a defense may be used.
Part IV. Defenses
WPIC CHAPTER 18. Miscellaneous Defenses

WPIC 18.02 Necessity—Defense

Necessity is a defense to a charge of __________ if(1) the defendant reasonably believed the commission of the crime was necessary to avoid or minimize a harm; and(2) the harm sought to be avoided was greater than the harm resulting from a violation of the law; and(3) the threatened harm was not brought about by the defendant; and(4) no reasonable legal alternative existed.The defendant has the burden of proving this defense by a preponderance of the evidence. Preponderance of the evidence means that you must be persuaded, considering all the evidence in the case, that it is more probably true than not true. If you find that the defendant has established this defense, it will be your duty to return a verdict of not guilty [as to this charge].
Good information. Very similar to the "No discharge of firearms in city limits" law, that someone inquired about a while ago - asking if one could still use a firearm in self defense, even if the city, or state park prohibited discharging a firearm. What site do you find the WPIC's?

Bob Warden

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
What if all you have is a full bladder? Can you drop your pants and pee on the bad guy even though indecent exposure is against the law? What if all you have is a couple of boogers in your nose? Can you pick 'em and flick 'em at the bad guy?

BobR

imported post

Back to the OP......only if you have an ignition source nearby and can use the pesticide to its full pyrotechnic effect. :p;)

bob

amzbrady

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
You can not legally use you gun against bugs, at least in city limits.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Good information. Very similar to the "No discharge of firearms in city limits" law, that someone inquired about a while ago - asking if one could still use a firearm in self defense, even if the city, or state park prohibited discharging a firearm. What site do you find the WPIC's?
This is where one is covered on the issue of not shooting in the city limits when defending ones self or of another.

RCW 9.41.270 (3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

For WPIC you will have to refer to the Pattern Jury Instructions at http://government.westlaw.com/linkedslice/default.asp?SP=WCCJI-1000

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:
You can not legally use you gun against bugs, at least in city limits.
What about Killer Bees:shock: :celebrate

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
It is a violation of federal law to use the pesticide in a manner inconsistent with its label
LOL

I love you man.

:celebrate

Gotta love federal law.. poking it's nose where it need not belong...

oneeyeross

imported post

What I'm trying to figure out is why all I would have on myself is a can of bug spray.

(That certainly wouldn't cover up the naughty bits very well.....)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

oneeyeross wrote:
What I'm trying to figure out is why all I would have on myself is a can of bug spray.

(That certainly wouldn't cover up the naughty bits very well.....)
Maybe at home, in the yard, out in the shed ....

oldkim

imported post

Hmm, seems to be going way off topic here about the legality of using bug spray. Isn't this guy or gal a TROLL?

I think if the situation where one has to defend themselves from an attacker - any reasonable means to stop the attack is justified. So, if it means using one's fist, a chair, a stick, or some other readily available means to defend oneself.... use it.

Bug spray would not be high on the list as you'll need to get the BG in the eyes or airway and still may not cause enough delay for the BG to stop.

What I'mpicturing is a regular can of bug spray not the high pressure Bear repellent or Yard bombs that actually spray pretty far. Those would be good to deter.

Is there Troll spray available?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I do not know the OP and there is quite often those that just like to call others a troll.

Granted the website is for open carry and for those that are so ridged on that issue then any incident related to self defense is off topic, anything after one removing this gun from the holster would be yes, off topic.

If you do not like the subject then do not read it or respond to it, that is easy enough.
It does work with many others here in the forum why not you.