Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Law Enforcement Reaction

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Hello all. I really do believe in OC and am glad i live in the great state of NC that has it. I am really curious to know what the general response is if an officer spots you carrying a gun in the open while out in the town or if you happen to get pulled over for some other reason. I know we are supposed to inform the officer there is a weapon in the vehicle and was just wondering what the typical response is of the Highway Patrol or Sheriff. I have heard that as long as everything is in order you should be fine and have also heard depending on the officer he may not even acknowlege it once he is comfortable you aren't a bad guy.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    246

    Post imported post

    I live here in High Point, I have never had a bad encounter with the fuzz. They seem well informed here, well all the cops i have encountered.

    only been pulled over once with my buddy he was doing 80 in a 65 we had concealed weapons....should have gotten a ticket, the trooper let us off with a warning.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    I regularly OC in the Greenville area, and I've never even been approached by an LEO. I've walked by them in the parking lot at Sheetz, stood next to Deputies in other convenience stores, walked by City, State, and County LEOs in various places and never had an issue.

    I was OCing at Food lion a few months back, near closing time (about 9:30pm on a Saturday) and as I was wheeling my buggy out to the car, I noticed a guy eyeballing me from across the parking lot. He was sort of following me, and when I got to my car and unlocked the doors, he started moving more quickly. So I turned toward him and addressed him,directly, saying Is there something I can do for you? He said he was a new Deputy (showed me his badge on his belt) and asked if I was a local police officer. I said, no, just a citizen. He asked ic I had a CHP, and I said, well, I'm open carrying, so I don;t see how that's relevent. He then told me he was glad I was OCing, and wished MORE people would do it...

    And that's pretty much the attitude I've found out here in the Eastern, more rural counties...

    I've also OCed in Fayetteville, Raleigh, and the Wilson area, and never had an issue.

    But I think a lot of people probably think I'm an LEO. I'm in my mid-40's, good shape, have short hair and dress "business casual" pretty much all the time. Apparently even cops (like the deputy I met at the grocery store) even think I look like a cop which is fine with me if it means they'll leave me alone. I always state that I'm "just a law-abiding citizen" if anyone asks me, and I always have some of those NC OC cards in my wallet, and usually have a handful of NC OC flyers in my car...

    It all comes down to looking like carrying is completely normal and natural. IF you look like you're SUPPOSED to be doing it, people don't pay any attention. If you are nervous, shifty, or dressed ratty, people tend to think the worst though...

    Good luck, and welcome to the world of Open Carry!

    BTW, it would help TREMENDOUSLY if you put your location in your profile, or at least put it in your posts. Attitudes toward OC vary wildly from county to county and city to city in NC, and if we know where you are, it makes it a lot easier to give you an accurate assessment of your situation...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggressionŚand this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    I was OÇ'ing when I had a wreck last year. The trooper disarmed me during the investigation. He locked the gun up, unloaded, in my truck. Made sure I saw him put the +1 beside the mag. Never asked any questions. We actually talked guns for a while. I've run into LEO's at gun shops, no issues. All the traffic situations I have been involved in, only DL checkpoints, I have just handed over my DL and CCP. Never an issue. OC'ed on the parkway, and around a couple of rangers, again no issue. Pretty good so far.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Man i totaly didn't notice the location not being there. Ill add that today but to tell you now i live in Barnardsville NC which is about 20 miles north of Asheville,,,you know, Gods country. Thanks for the reply and i hope my experiences are like yours. Hopefully someone here will have had some or know of some in my area but i would think if it would be cool anywhere it would be here. I will be carrying the Ruder SRH 454 so im sure it will get noticed. I look at it this way, criminals operate on two basic premis, and that is intimidation and power, so therefore i say lets intimidate and be powerful. Amen

  6. #6
    Regular Member Ruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    548

    Post imported post

    SuperRuger wrote:
    I will be carrying the Ruger SRH 454 so im sure it will get noticed. I look at it this way, criminals operate on two basic premis, and that is intimidation and power, so therefore i say lets intimidate and be powerful. Amen
    Ummm..... You sir, concern me.... Please do not carry this in the city loaded with .454 cartridges. Stick to .45LC - better for self-defense against 2-legged predators.

    "Lets intimidate and be powerful" ???:what: Please tell me that this is a poor attempt at humor. If you are carrying to intimidate then you have no business carrying a weapon IMO. I do not carry to intimidate, to look tough, or out of any perceived sense of "cool". Those who do, do so to the detriment of all law-abiding gun owners.

    EDIT: What's up with all the people on this site who suddenly want to talk about OC'ing a .454 casull or a S&W .500 magnum???:shock: Unless you're going backpacking/camping out in the sticks, WHY???? If folks aren't going to go bear hunting with their .22lr, .380acp or 9mm handguns, then why in the frickin' world do some folks want to carry .454 or .500mag cartridges for self-defense in populated areas???? Choose the appropriate load for the task! Sheesh!
    Carry on!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    246

    Post imported post

    Ruger wrote:
    SuperRuger wrote:
    I will be carrying the Ruger SRH 454 so im sure it will get noticed. I look at it this way, criminals operate on two basic premis, and that is intimidation and power, so therefore i say lets intimidate and be powerful. Amen
    Ummm..... You sir, concern me.... Please do not carry this in the city loaded with .454 cartridges.┬* Stick to .45LC - better for self-defense against 2-legged predators.┬*

    "Lets intimidate and be powerful" ???:what:┬* Please tell me that this is a poor attempt at humor.┬* If you are carrying to intimidate then you have no business carrying a weapon IMO.┬* I do not carry to intimidate, to look tough, or out of any perceived sense of "cool".┬* Those who do, do so to the detriment of all law-abiding gun owners.┬*



    +1
    454 is overkill. A 22 would be better. You don't want to kill that person and the 9 people behind them.

    Seems you are going to carry for the wrong reason.
    EDIT:┬* What's up with all the people on this site who suddenly want to talk about OC'ing a .454 casull or a S&W .500 magnum???┬*:shock: Unless you're going backpacking/camping out in the sticks, WHY????┬* If folks aren't going to go bear hunting with their .22lr, .380acp or 9mm handguns, then why in the frickin' world do some folks want to carry .454 or .500mag cartridges for self-defense in populated areas????┬* Choose the appropriate load for the task!┬* Sheesh!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    246

    Post imported post

    Lol you edited you post as I hit quote. Lol

    stoopid phone.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Ruger wrote:
    SuperRuger wrote:
    I will be carrying the Ruger SRH 454 so im sure it will get noticed. I look at it this way, criminals operate on two basic premis, and that is intimidation and power, so therefore i say lets intimidate and be powerful. Amen
    Ummm..... You sir, concern me.... Please do not carry this in the city loaded with .454 cartridges. Stick to .45LC - better for self-defense against 2-legged predators.

    "Lets intimidate and be powerful" ???:what: Please tell me that this is a poor attempt at humor. If you are carrying to intimidate then you have no business carrying a weapon IMO. I do not carry to intimidate, to look tough, or out of any perceived sense of "cool". Those who do, do so to the detriment of all law-abiding gun owners.

    EDIT: What's up with all the people on this site who suddenly want to talk about OC'ing a .454 casull or a S&W .500 magnum???:shock: Unless you're going backpacking/camping out in the sticks, WHY???? If folks aren't going to go bear hunting with their .22lr, .380acp or 9mm handguns, then why in the frickin' world do some folks want to carry .454 or .500mag cartridges for self-defense in populated areas???? Choose the appropriate load for the task! Sheesh!
    Hey guys hold up for cryin out loud. You don't think i know these things. I list the 454 because that is the chambering. Those only go in it when i am on the hikes where bear contact is possible or hunting. When in normal use the 45 Colt will be in it and if you knew ballistics at all you would know that a 45 Colt cowboy load is less powerfull than a 45 acp which is still the number one choice for defense. Come on guys give me some credit for heavens sake and yes the statement was comical but as i see here that was missed totaly. I was told by a friend be careful about posting on an internet forum because the second you say something that doesn't line up with everyone you will be decended on like locusts in a biblical plaque. How true.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Ruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    548

    Post imported post

    My apologies. Consider that, as you're new here, we couldn't really tell that you were kidding.

    Also, there has been a glut of folks creating topics about open carrying overpowered, large caliber handguns. :shock:
    Carry on!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    SuperRuger wrote:
    I will be carrying the Ruder SRH 454 so im sure it will get noticed. I look at it this way, criminals operate on two basic premis, and that is intimidation and power, so therefore i say lets intimidate and be powerful. Amen
    Why would you be bothered if someone objects to a statement like this? Maybe you should reread it. Most open carry advocates try to help instill responsibility in others who choose to carry. It only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us.

    Maybe you didn't mean it the way it sounds but I wouldn't get too tripped out on someone pointing something out like this. Its how we all learn around here.


    I have heard that as long as everything is in order you should be fine and have also heard depending on the officer he may not even acknowlege it once he is comfortable you aren't a bad guy.
    I know people see things differently here. I respect other people's choices in how to handle encounters with LEOs. Personally though, I don't feel compelled at all to help an officer feel comfortable that I am not a bad guy. If he has no reason to believe that I am a bad guy other than his personal bias of me carrying a firearm, then I would take offense to being stopped in the first place.

    They like to ask, "How do I know you are not a felon?."Butif presented with this question I wouldlike to counter with, "What makes you think I am a felon?"because that is what the real issue is. I don't have to prove to anyone that I am not a felon, they need to show that I am one in order to justify their intrusion.

    My job isn't to convince someone that I am a law abiding citizen. Without any evidence I expect them to assume I am and I don't feel obligated in the least bit to help them with their fishing expedition to prove otherwise.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Ruger wrote:
    My apologies. Consider that, as you're new here, we couldn't really tell that you were kidding.

    Also, there has been a glut of folks creating topics about open carrying overpowered, large caliber handguns. :shock:
    We are good my friend and no apology is needed. Actually that is sort of the reason why i chose this gun. I can't afford right now different ones so this allows me versitility. I can hunt, bear protect, or self defense just by chambering a different round and the 7.5" barrel has astounding accuracy. Believe it or not due to the weight of the gun shooting a 45 colt in it is extremely comfortable and my sons 357 SP101 kicks about the same if i am shooting the 45 colt. The 454 is another ball game all together and if you have never shot one just know it packs a punch. I look forward to talking with you and value everyones opinion.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    95

    Post imported post

    SuperRuger wrote:
    ........I look at it this way, criminals operate on two basic premis, and that is intimidation and power, so therefore i say lets intimidate and be powerful. Amen
    The ballistics discussion aside.. I read the above as the OP intends to intimidate potential criminals and show power by being not afraid to defend himself should they attack him..

    -Adam

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    While on the subject, in your opinions, is a Ruger Security Six .357 mag JHP a suitable choice for open carry? I am aware of it's weight but for now...that's all I have. lol I worry about collateral damage and would hate for a self defense situation to turn into something more because my round just kept going and going...

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    246

    Post imported post

    lol super ad me fooled also, i was like :what:


    I have carry a 40 sometimes a 9. So im not TO worried about over penetration. With that said, I don't use +P I have 16 rounds if said attacker wont fall.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •