• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Problem Purchasing Firearm Need Help Please

Astorian101

imported post

Hi everyone heres my problem hopefully i put it in the right forum spot.Just purchased a new Firearm i guess u can say. I went into a undisclosed Firearm Shop in NH and attempted to purchase a pistol.The associate that was assisting me called the background check number NCIS i believe its called to get the clear to leave with the Pistol i was put on delay. I have now been waiting almost 3 weeks for yes or no answer from the state. They stated they were "waiting on something from Mass and it would be a few days" that was 2 weeks ago when i went in:banghead:. After waiting my initial 3 Buisness days to go in to claim my firearm the associate then again called the number he had written down for a ba check w.e its called and sayd they cant release it even after the 3rd buisness day.Im still waiting the problem im having is im going on a planned vacation trip I will be gone for 2 months or so. In conclusion im not sure what i can do because if i cannot pick the firearm up before i go on vacation then i would like to just recieve the money i paid for the firearm and just forget about it until i wanna wait 2 months because of the fact it will just be sitting there and the purpose of the purchase was so i had it for this trip i plan on taking but, I kind of feel bad for making the owner take it off the showroom and save it for the period its been sitting and now just saying forget it as the firearm shop is great and i have never had a problem there i just dont want to wait 3 months before i get a yes or no answer . please any suggestions law info about the waiting anything to help is greatley appreciated im stuck and dont know the right thing to do.:banghead: lthough i would like to know if im approved or not i just was wanting to know if there is a law where they have a certain amout of time to respond or something. I really want the firearm i just dont think its legal or fair to make me wait such a period.

Astorian101

imported post

i think im getting jerked around.Like i sayd i waited the three buisness days after the associate told me that i got delayed i went in after those days were done expecting to pick my firearm up went to the counter the guy came over i told him it was after the 3 buisness days and id like my firearm and he called the ncis number he had got off the phone with them and sayd still cant release it they sayd there still waiting on something from massachusettts which to me makes no sense.But regardless iv waited and paitently for an answer now it it getting ridiculous it should not take this long to recieve an answer and i dont think this is right.FYI no slander going to the firearm shop its a great shop just idk what is going on here in this situation

Astorian101

imported post

from reading this http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsfact.htm
Ifeel like going in there being as polite as i can be and pretty much saying id like my money back or my firearm because they can release it to me up to 3 days?Again though i dont wanna be demanding the firearm from them either because they can just say no and they have my money

Superlite27

imported post

You are getting jerked around.

3 days - no denial - gun is yours.

You have payed for it. They are in possession of your property. I'd print the page with the regs out and show it to them while asking in what manner they are complying with it.

If they say anything to the effect of "Well, we'll just cancel the sale then." I'd demandyour firearm as they have ALREADY TAKEN YOUR MONEY therefore THE SALE HAS ALREADY TAKEN PLACE. But I wouldn't press it.

I'd definately not go back.

rodbender

imported post

There may be something in state law. I can't imagine what in NH. If nothing in state law is doing this to you,I would tell them, "Cancel the sale, give me my money back, and I will be happy to spend my money somewhere else, from this point forward". You say they are nice and it is a nice gun shop. Why would you say this when they obviously are giving you the run around?

Idea: Ask to see the gun. If they can't or won't produce it for you to even look at, they may have sold it from under you, and are waiting for another one to come in, while hoping you just lay down and take it.

I don't do business with folks like this. I will spent more somewhere else to receive the treatment that customers deserve.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Astorian101 wrote:
i think im getting jerked around.Like i sayd i waited the three buisness days after the associate told me that i got delayed i went in after those days were done expecting to pick my firearm up went to the counter the guy came over i told him it was after the 3 buisness days and id like my firearm and he called the ncis number he had got off the phone with them and sayd still cant release it they sayd there still waiting on something from massachusettts which to me makes no sense.But regardless iv waited and paitently for an answer now it it getting ridiculous it should not take this long to recieve an answer and i dont think this is right.FYI no slander going to the firearm shop its a great shop just idk what is going on here in this situation
It is up to the discretion of the selling dealer to release after the 3 day period. If they release and it does come back as denied (for any reason) the FBI will visit in full riot gear and confiscate any firearm in your home. I was delayed (my brother is a convicted felon, name is very similar) for at least 1 month and several phone calls to the FBI (by me) to get it handled. When I called the representative did tell me that the selling dealer can release after 3 days, but to expect an unpleasant visit if there is a denial.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
Astorian101 wrote:
It is up to the discretion of the selling dealer to release after the 3 day period. If they release and it does come back as denied (for any reason) the FBI will visit in full riot gear and confiscate any firearm in your home. I was delayed (my brother is a convicted felon, name is very similar) for at least 1 month and several phone calls to the FBI (by me) to get it handled. When I called the representative did tell me that the selling dealer can release after 3 days, but to expect an unpleasant visit if there is a denial.
:what::what::what::what:

Superlite27

imported post

rodbender wrote:
Idea: Ask to see the gun. If they can't or won't produce it for you to even look at, they may have sold it from under you, and are waiting for another one to come in, while hoping you just lay down and take it.

Good catch. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Very possible.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
rodbender wrote:

I doubt that
The store would be a licensed FFL and if they sold and did the paperwork for a NICS check on one gun and gave him one with a different serial number there are a few options that could happen

1. they do not change it and when the ATF does their surprise inspection they will risk having their FFL suspended

2. they change it and the OP catches it and goes to his local law enforcement agency and ATF about the FFL falsifying a federal document.

3. you ask for your money back get the money back and the gun would be recorded in their disposition book as being sold too someone else than the actual person who got it.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Beerme wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
rodbender wrote:

I doubt that
The store would be a licensed FFL and if they sold and did the paperwork for a NICS check on one gun and gave him one with a different serial number there are a few options that could happen

1. they do not change it and when the ATF does their surprise inspection they will risk having their FFL suspended

2. they change it and the OP catches it and goes to his local law enforcement agency and ATF about the FFL falsifying a federal document.

3. you ask for your money back get the money back and the gun would be recorded in their disposition book as being sold too someone else than the actual person who got it.

HUH????

The "sale" of said product is not complete until said item is delivered. If canceled the transaction is voided. You are not returning the product as you never received the item.

Astorian101

imported post

Thanks to everyone who replied i appreciate it. The problem has been resolved today i will be having my answer tommorow.

tnhawk

imported post

Glad it isn't done that way in TN. You fill out form and pay $10 for NCIS check and wait a few minutes to an hour. After it is approved, the purchase is completed.

rodbender

imported post

tnhawk wrote:
Glad it isn't done that way in TN. You fill out form and pay $10 for NCIS check and wait a few minutes to an hour. After it is approved, the purchase is completed.
Don't even have to call on me. CHL holders are exempt from the NCIS check in Texas. Even without a CHL you don't have to pay a fee.

tnhawk

imported post

rodbender wrote:
tnhawk wrote:
Don't even have to call on me. CHL holders are exempt from the NCIS check in Texas. Even without a CHL you don't have to pay a fee.
That's the way it should work!

celticredneck

imported post

tnhawk wrote:
rodbender wrote:
tnhawk wrote:
That's the way it should work!
For some reason, I'm delayed on the background check every time I purchase a gun at Virginia gun shows, even when I use my CC permit as a form of ID. This even happened when I purchased a pair of Marlin Model 60, .22 cal rimfire rifles. No one at the shows has been able to tell me why it happens. I haven'r tried buying anything directly from a dealer recently.