• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your Favorite .45 - Looking to buy

TehGruu

imported post

I watched a girl that was barely 5' 1" shoot my USP when I still had it with no recoil issues. The only problem she had was gripping the damn think with her extremely little hands. It was a little big for myself, but it's a fine plastic pistol.

-Gruu

Forgot to add, the USP I had was .45.

t33j

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Glock 37 GAP

HGGlock_0305A.jpg
Main problem I have with the GAP round is:
http://ammoseek.com/?gun=handgun&cal=48&type=target&grains=0&mfg=&keywords=&sortby=cpr
http://ammoseek.com/?from=resultspa...ns=0&mfg=&keywords=&sortby=cpr&.submit=Search

45acpForMe

imported post

Huck wrote:
[/quote]Heck with .45 acp, 7-8+1 is more than enough for self defense.[/quote]

Well I have seen statistics that LEO miss 50-80% of the time during a shooting incident. Assuming that I shoot as well as the best LEO, missing 50% in a 8 round magazine gives me 4 hits. If you add multiple attackers that thins out the number of bullets for each perp. :-(

So you can either carry more mags, which require changes during the fight or carry larger capacity guns. I have also seen stats showing that the average gun fight was 3-5 shots so I know you could make an argument that 8 rounds is enough.

I would rather have the extra capacity and not need it than not have it and need it. :) With guns like the XDm having 19+1 in 9mm I feel better carrying my USP, Big Hawg and FNP-45 where I have 13,15-16 rounds without a mag change.

There was also the Texas LEO that hit the perp 22 times before he stopped attacking (using .40) and he was not on drugs! I want to hit them with the biggest round I can as many times as I can until they stop being a threat.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

t33j wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:
I was talking to a good friend of mine who is LE and he has a USP .40, and he was saying that he personally prefers the .40 over the .45 due to the recoil difference (with the USP).
No idea why someone would prefer .40 over .45 because of recoil alone.

I'd go with HK or Sig... or a 1911 if I weren't too worried about capacity or weight.

Wonder why Sig would put a 5lb pull on a match pistol.
Because a .40 has enough stopping power.

t33j

imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
t33j wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:
I was talking to a good friend of mine who is LE and he has a USP .40, and he was saying that he personally prefers the .40 over the .45 due to the recoil difference (with the USP).
No idea why someone would prefer .40 over .45 because of recoil alone.

I'd go with HK or Sig... or a 1911 if I weren't too worried about capacity or weight.

Wonder why Sig would put a 5lb pull on a match pistol.
Because a .40 has enough stopping power.
.45 has been easier to control than .40 in my experience.

The Wolfhound

imported post

Had a couple of 12 year olds shoot my USPElite in .45. They managed just fine with recoil. 40 seems a bit snappier to me. I would trust either as a defense round with no reservation but I run +P on my .45 defense loads so energy is darn near the same.

KansasMustang

imported post

Here I go again touting the virtues of my Springfield XD.45. Now that they've come out with the XDM version I may have wished I'd waited, or traded. My brother also has an XD and both of ours straight out of the box is a no-miss gun. I like to think I shoot pretty good having carried and qualified in the Army with ole beat up M1911's and seldom missing even then. But this weapon makes me look like the best shot in the world. No misses straight out of the box. Just me sayin' it.
edited for typo

ElectricianLU58

imported post

my p220 is my go-to gun. it is very easy to shoot very well and incredibly easy to field strip.

but i love my kimber as well. i have an ultra cdp II. have had no issues with it in 8 years or so.

i feel completely comfortable with both.

i am considering a model 22 s&w as my next gun. revolvers are very reliable.

tnhawk

imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
...I am now looking at buying a .45, and would like to know everyone's thoughts on their favorite .45. ...

I like my XD-45, but my favorite will always be a 1911. SA, Colt, Kimber, Wilson -there'sa large groupto choose from. To be in high demand at 100 years, it has to be a good design.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Considering you already have a Sig, I'd say that the P220 in one of it's many variants would be a good option for you. If you are looking to diversify somewhat, a 1911 would be a nice addition, or one of the polymer guns. Many people like the feel of the XD, and have had good luck with them. I personally prefer the Glocks, because that is what I'm used to, and the G21 or G21SFare hard to beat for a reliable, hi-cap .45. And the USP45 is just bad-ass. Its big, but is probably the most-accurate of the polymer .45s.

I would go to a range that rents guns, buy 2-300 rds of .45 and rent every .45 that they have. Usually after two or three mags, you'll know whether or not you and the gun are a good fit. Keep notes about what you liked and disliked about the various guns that you tried and then do some research about the one's you would consider when you get home.

There isn't any way for us to tell you what gun is "right" or "wrong" for you. Only you can make that determination. We can tell you what we like and what we do not like, but ultimately you'll have to live with your decision.

-G20

Michigander

imported post

45acpForMe wrote: Heck with .45 acp, 7-8+1 is more than enough for self defense.

Well I have seen statistics that LEO miss 50-80% of the time during a shooting incident. Assuming that I shoot as well as the best LEO, missing 50% in a 8 round magazine gives me 4 hits. If you add multiple attackers that thins out the number of bullets for each perp. :-(

So you can either carry more mags, which require changes during the fight or carry larger capacity guns. I have also seen stats showing that the average gun fight was 3-5 shots so I know you could make an argument that 8 rounds is enough.

[/quote]

I think a lot of the missed shotsin police shootings can be directly blamedto instructors teaching 2 handed sight use at just about any distance with lots of complicated little issues to worry about with stance and grip. Point shooting out to 20 feet or so was for a long time respected asa greatway to get good fast, and not be so likely to miss even with infrequent practice. Tests which taughtnew shooters point shootinghave proven this to be a fact.

The funny thing about point shooting is that a lot of modern bulky double stack .45's aren't all that well balanced for it, rather being well suited to a 2 handed grip for most people. This leads back to single stack .45's or smaller guns, which leads back to the capacity and power issue. :banghead:

[/quote]

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Complaining about recoil in a handgun is, for the most part, silly.

My son was oh so terrified to shoot my 1911 when he was 9 years old. He just 'knew' it was going to hit him in the face or knock him down.

I finally coaxed him to the trigger, he fired once, cringing and holding his head sideways, as far from the gun as he could get it...

Then he dumped the mag, dropped it, popped in the second mag, dumped that, and could not stop smiling for 15 minutes. Every round hit the paper at 20yds.

He had never fired a handgun before. Weighing all of 65lbs soaking wet...

There's just no excuse.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ixtow wrote:
Complaining about recoil in a handgun is, for the most part, silly.

My son was oh so terrified to shoot my 1911 when he was 9 years old. He just 'knew' it was going to hit him in the face or knock him down.

I finally coaxed him to the trigger, he fired once, cringing and holding his head sideways, as far from the gun as he could get it...

Then he dumped the mag, dropped it, popped in the second mag, dumped that, and could not stop smiling for 15 minutes. Every round hit the paper at 20yds.

He had never fired a handgun before. Weighing all of 65lbs soaking wet...

There's just no excuse.

Arthritis and other physical limitations seem pretty viable to me.

Someone recoil sensitive is not IMO being silly - it is part physical (grip, stance etc.) as well as psychological. Training and experience can overcome most of those conditions; nevertheless, it should not be ignored or dismissed lightly.

It is good that your son took to shooting like the proverbial duck to water. Such is not always the case - people respond in individual ways and most new shooters benefit to being introduced gradually to larger calibers. Some are never comfortable with a high level of felt/perceived recoil. Better that they should carry/shoot something with which they are comfortable than lay it down and walk away.

As for me, I'd rather make it easy and fun for a newby than to turn them off by telling them they were silly - but that's just me.

Yata hey

ElevenBravo

1911 by Rock Island. I had a 1911 of US ARMY and the RIA 1911 is "an exact duplicate".

It can be honed, polished and built to your endless desire also.

GL,
Andrew

merc460

1911 by Rock Island. I had a 1911 of US ARMY and the RIA 1911 is "an exact duplicate".

It can be honed, polished and built to your endless desire also.

GL,
Andrew

A friend of mine just bought a Rock Island. Nice piece.

I personally have a Taurus Judge "Public Defender". I really like it! The versatility is nice. Just the ammo is so dang high (45 Colt). As soon as I can pick up a nice holster it will be my everyday carry.

erb

Get a Kimber Raptor II Pro.

Wanna buy mine? I just got it 2 months ago. :)