• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stun gun carry?

boomer92266

imported post

i have a friend who doesn't have a computer and wants to know if he can carry a stun gun without a weapons permit? i didn't know as i open carry now, plan on my permit sometime this summer. i told him he could contact his local leo but he said they give him the runaround on just about everything, he lives in barren county in glasgow. if yall remember a while back i called glasgow police about open carry, the person i talked to said they don't allow it in the city. i have since talked to some officers up there, they acted as they do not want it to happen even said if we upset someone we could be ask to put it back in the car or be arrested. but did admit it was legal to open carry. thanks

Tribunal Power

imported post

Neuroblades posted the following link in one of my threads, referencing the fact that I used to carry a telescoping baton.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/500-00/080.PDF

Given that a stungun/taser is not on that list, I would probably bet that it's fine. However, if it's the kind that fires nodes that latch onto someone and charge them with current (as opposed to the kind that you touch to someone to stun them), then there may be problems.

IANAL, but I think it would be okay. Bear in mind, however, that I'm also new to Kentucky and could be unaware of something here.

neuroblades

imported post

Boomer:

Stun Guns are not considered firarms due to the fact that they DO NOT fire a projectile. They only work when physically touched to the attacker by the intended victim.

According to the information I've found, BOTH stun guns & tazers ARE LEGAL in Kentucky.

The lovely thing about Tazers, in addition to shooting the projectiles that allow for transmission of the electrical energy to the attacker, they also fire out micro ID markers that allow for identification of the owner in case a criminal attempts you use one in committing a crime. :)

As per this type of post, I am NOT an attorney, please check your sources.

http://www.beststungun.com/stun-gun-laws.html