• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went to traffic court this morning...

EM87

imported post

...and was told that the officer couldn't make it because he was occupied with "official business". I thought this was a good thing because the citation would be dismissed, but then the judge went on to say that the courts are very clear about this and that it would be rescheduled.

I didn't bother asking about it being dismissed because I figured the judge would be correct, seeing as how this is what he does every day.

Did anyone know that? I always thought if the officer couldn't make it, you got off clean.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

EM87 wrote:

...and was told that the officer couldn't make it because he was occupied with "official business". I thought this was a good thing because the citation would be dismissed, but then the judge went on to say that the courts are very clear about this and that it would be rescheduled.

I didn't bother asking about it being dismissed because I figured the judge would be correct, seeing as how this is what he does every day.

Did anyone know that? I always thought if the officer couldn't make it, you got off clean.
May have to do whether the officer has a valid excuse and notified the court or just didn't show up.

sevenplusone

imported post

Venator wrote:
EM87 wrote:

May have to do whether the officer has a valid excuse and notified the court or just didn't show up.
That would be my guess as well.

MK

imported post

I would think that a court appearance is official business too. At the very least, I think they should have notified you ASAP when they knew he couldn't show. If they knew ahead of time, that's pretty damn rude on their part. People take off of work and reroute their schedules for this stuff.

The judge should have still thrown the ticket out in my opinion. Its a pretty trivial matter to the court and treating someone with respect andcommon courtesy should be a higher goal than sticking them with a ticket.

EM87

imported post

Should I follow up with the court before I receive the new date and see if it can be thrown out?

If so, what would I tell them that would be convincing enough to get it dismissed?

Pouget

imported post

When they set up your next appointment, make sure to call a few minutes after and tell them you had official business to take care of and could not make it. Then proceed to tell them when the next time that works best is.

PT111

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Should I follow up with the court before I receive the new date and see if it can be thrown out?

If so, what would I tell them that would be convincing enough to get it dismissed?
Tell them that you have surgery scheduled at that time. I have know people that would keep getting it rescheduled until the court would finally give up and dismiss the charge. If either side has a legitimate reason for the delay the judge can grant delays until doomsday. But the judge makes the determination of whether or not it is a legitimate reason. I met court one time where I was suing another fellow and he didn't show up. They judge awarded me what I was asking but as I was walking out the door the other fellow shows up. I kept on walking but the judge heard his sob story how he wrecked on the way to court and the accident investigating officer called the judge to tell him that it was true. The judge reversed the ruling and we had to actually have the trial later.:banghead: I still won but didn't get eerything I asked for.:cuss:

Savage.Detroit

imported post

I know in Detroit a no show by the cop means a dismissal. I had 3 tickets dismissed that way. The day I went there was a bunch of people who had no show cops although the judge did lecture us.

Be a no show in a civil or criminal trial and it means bad news for you. I don't think police should get special privilege on that.

eastmeyers

imported post

I got a ticket by the cop in Warren who writes 2000+ tickets a year, 20/20 did a story on him how he does it to scam overtime. When I went to court, the judge waited for his cases for last, had the officer stand, along with all of us that got ticket, and dismissed all of our tickets at once. I asked a bailiff what happen and he said she (the judge) does that every time with this particular officer.

How sad is that, last I herd he is still around too, doing the same old BS, giving felonious tickets out. When I asked him why he pulled me over he gave me the most BS story I had ever herd such crap.

God Bless

malignity

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
I got a ticket by the cop in Warren who writes 2000+ tickets a year, 20/20 did a story on him how he does it to scam overtime.  When I went to court, the judge waited for his cases for last, had the officer stand, along with all of us that got ticket, and dismissed all of our tickets at once.  I asked a bailiff what happen and he said she (the judge) does that every time with this particular officer.

How said is that, last I herd he is still around too, doing the same old BS, giving felonious tickets out.  When I asked him why he pulled me over he gave me the most BS story I had ever herd such crap.

God Bless

Hmm. Okay. Mine are in Sterling heights and Clinton twp.

I haven't had a ticket in 6 years then all of a sudden I get 2 in 6 months. One in February for sliding through a yellow during a snowstorm (running a yellow is aparently illegal?) and one for improper lane usage when someone hit me and totaled my car (I have PLPD so I have to buy a new car) when I was driving into the turn lane to make a right. I normally pay tickets if I truthfully messed up, but neither is the case here.

insignia240

imported post

malignity wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
I got a ticket by the cop in Warren who writes 2000+ tickets a year, 20/20 did a story on him how he does it to scam overtime. When I went to court, the judge waited for his cases for last, had the officer stand, along with all of us that got ticket, and dismissed all of our tickets at once. I asked a bailiff what happen and he said she (the judge) does that every time with this particular officer.

How said is that, last I herd he is still around too, doing the same old BS, giving felonious tickets out. When I asked him why he pulled me over he gave me the most BS story I had ever herd such crap.

God Bless

Hmm. Okay. Mine are in Sterling heights and Clinton twp.

I haven't had a ticket in 6 years then all of a sudden I get 2 in 6 months. One in February for sliding through a yellow during a snowstorm (running a yellow is aparently illegal?) and one for improper lane usage when someone hit me and totaled my car (I have PLPD so I have to buy a new car) when I was driving into the turn lane to make a right. I normally pay tickets if I truthfully messed up, but neither is the case here.
Failing to yield to traffic?

malignity

imported post

No. That's what the guy got that hit me. I got improper lane usage cause I was technically on the shoulder the turn lane started in another 50 feet (even though traffic was backed up well over 50 feet past where it started, and I was just joining the back of the line... no way to make my turn unless I did, and the two lanes next to me let the guy in and he darted across, cutting through my 'lane').

kryptonian

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:

How sad is that, last I herd he is still around too, doing the same old BS, giving felonious tickets out. When I asked him why he pulled me over he gave me the most BS story I had ever herd such crap.

God Bless
saw that cop on tv. he's retiring soon. he gave an ambulance on a run a ticket. they had a mental patient throwing a fit in back and the driver was following a GPS unit that didn't know there was a new no left turn at that intersection. didn't matter. ticket dismissed. chief bagged on him a little too if i remember right but said he's retiring soon.

rix937

imported post

If the officer reported to court 7 days in advance that he/she would be unavailable for that time, what they did is legal. If however they didn't, well... it wasn't. I know there is a ruling on that but can't find it now. But it just gives you more time to be prepared :)

Take a look at "Marc Stevens - Adventures In Legal Land" series on youtube, he has a pretty clever way of proving pretty much all civil infractions like speeding and the like are illegal (I assume you got a speeding ticket)

Good luck!

EM87

imported post

Actually it was for crashing my motorcycle.... I don't want to explain the situation right now but I was not at fault and believe that the citation will be dismissed when I appear before the judge.