• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

Sparky508

imported post

[align=left]So one of the things that brought me to this site, was the fact that the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife was changing the regulations to allow Muzzleloaders and bow hunters to carry a pistol while hunting IF they had a CPL. I had asked tons of people to call, write, email, and use their telepathic psychic powers, while I did the same.

Previously, it was stated in the regs that you were not to be in possession, period, while hunting during an Archery or Muzzle stuffer season with those tags etc. For years I carried anyhow, figuring that if a warden ever did cite me on it that I would fight it and something would happen at that point, good or bad either way......... Never at anytime did a warden even mention it, and I had met my share out in the field.

So anyhow, the regs came out a couple of months ago, and they removed the CPL part. Not sure if the letters to the AG and the WDFW did it, but it’s still pretty cool that it was written the way it was this year.

[/align]

[align=left]

[align=left]Here is a copy of the text, from the reg book:
(I think the red means it a major rule change?)[/align]

[align=left]Archery Regulations[/align]

[/align]

[align=left]1. Rules pertaining to all archery:
a. It is unlawful for any person to carry or
have in his possession any firearm while in
the field archery hunting, during an archery
season specified for that area, except for
modern handguns carried for personal
protection.
Modern handguns cannot
be used to hunt big game or dispatch
wounded big game during an archery, big
game hunting season.
[/align]
Edit to add: It has the same verbage for muzzleloaders too.

[align=left]
[/align]

daddy4count

imported post

that's pretty cool

I have my CPL so it wasn't much of an issue for me... but I am stoked that I can carry a firearm when archery hunting. Personally I feel better stalking quietly through bear and cat infested woods when I can carry a pistol.

Pointy sticks are great for elk... not so great for cougar

Remember to unload the pistol when you get back to your car!

The CPL doesn't trump the game laws... if you're hunting you cannot have a loaded firearm in your vehicle PERIOD.

Aaron1124

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
that's pretty cool

I have my CPL so it wasn't much of an issue for me... but I am stoked that I can carry a firearm when archery hunting. Personally I feel better stalking quietly through bear and cat infested woods when I can carry a pistol.

Pointy sticks are great for elk... not so great for cougar

Remember to unload the pistol when you get back to your car!

The CPL doesn't trump the game laws... if you're hunting you cannot have a loaded firearm in your vehicle PERIOD.
Do you know if there's an RCW that states that? I don't recall it being one of the areas that are "off limits" to firearms.

daddy4count

imported post

I don't have the reg book in front of me... but it's in there.

I believe it applies to hunting weapons, but makes no distinction between those and personal protection firearms (or at least it didn't used to, if I'm wrong somebody please correct me)

As I recall, even leaning a loaded weapon up against your vehicle COULD get you ticketed, or worse, if you're hunting...

When I used to rifle hunt I would go so far as to remove the clip from my BAR, just so there weren't any rounds "attached" to the rifle, even thought the clip was removed

(The clip in my BAR attaches to a swivel mount which pops it into place... )

<edit>
I don't know if there is an actual RCW attached...

daddy4count

imported post

found one that apparently applies to all long guns..? Not just while hunting..?

RCW 77.15.460
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

(4) This section does not apply if the person: (b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities.
... unless you are a disabled hunter...

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The only RCW that I am aware of only applies to rifles and shotguns.
RCW 77.15.460
Loaded firearm in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Penalty.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway.

(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle or unlawful use of a loaded firearm is a misdemeanor.

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities.

(5) For purposes of this section, a firearm shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the firearm.

daddy4count

imported post

Yep, it appears to apply to long guns, not pistols...

so only the CPL would be required to carry it in your car..?

I wonder how many game officials understand it the same way..?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

daddy4count wrote:

Pistols can be loaded in a vehicle, so long as the person in possession has a valid CPL. This is the same whether the person is in downtown Seattle or 15 miles outside of Omak on an archery hunting trip.

Loaded long-guns in a vehicle is a no-no regardless of where you are, but citations for such are more often written by game wardens who walk up on hunters who have just gotten back to their vehicles and leaned their rifle or shotgun against their truck, or set it on the tailgate, etc.... rather than city cops who discover someone has a charged mag locked into their AR in the trunk of the car they stopped for DUI (or whatever).

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
daddy4count wrote:

Pistols can be loaded in a vehicle, so long as the person in possession has a valid CPL. This is the same whether the person is in downtown Seattle or 15 miles outside of Omak on an archery hunting trip.

Loaded long-guns in a vehicle is a no-no regardless of where you are, but citations for such are more often written by game wardens who walk up on hunters who have just gotten back to their vehicles and leaned their rifle or shotgun against their truck, or set it on the tailgate, etc.... rather than city cops who discover someone has a charged mag locked into their AR in the trunk of the car they stopped for DUI (or whatever).

Remember all, the legislature has a carefully crafted exception to car carry and you are exempt. When you are going to and from a lawful outdoor activity such as hunting you need not have a CPL to carry a pistol in your car loaded. It is plain and clear in the language of the law.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

ghosthunter

imported post

I have taught Hunter Ed for 15 years and always open carry when hunting , including in my truck. I have had countless encounters with Fish and Wildlife officers. In 40 years not one has ever cared one bit about my handgun.

But if you get caught with a loaded long gun you will get a ticket. They do not like that one bit. Been several close calls betweenofficers and hunters with loaded long guns. Oneofficer was killed back in the 60s.

Several hunters or their partners have ben killed in or around the car or truck.

That goes for leaning on or againist any motorized vech.

PoppaGary

imported post

Seems like they are stretching the interpretation of the law if they can give you a ticket for merely leaning your rifle/shotgun against your vehicle. I know that is probably what I would do, or would have now, when I returned to my vehicle.

While it is safer to unload the gun before you set it down, I can see how easy it could be to do otherwise. Set your gun down, drop your pack, unlock the rig, grab a cold pop or water out of the cooler while you unloaded your gun and packed stuff away. Especially if one doesn't have a handgun....if I didn't then unloading the rifle would be my last task so I wouldn't be defenseless.

Gary

ghosthunter

imported post

For hunters the car or truck is a very a dangerous place. Many ,folks have been killed or injured at the vehicle. A few years back a father and two sons returned to their truck. The father lowered the tail gate and laid his loaded rifle on it , while he got out of his pack and unlocked the truck.

The younger son climbed into the back of the truck and knocked the rifle off. His older brother was killed.

Even if the gun is unloaded,leaning it againist your vehicle is asking for your scope to be damaged.

Long guns should be unloaded before you reach the truck.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When my party hunts, 4 to 6 guys, and we meet back at the trucks at then end of a hunt. We have all agreed to unload idividually and away from the truck. We take turns unloading, rifles never pointed towards the truck or others and not towards the road either. Some have semis and some have bolt action and it is a bit of a ballet to unload and double check before we actually unlock the vehicles and get in safely. I usually ride shotgun and it is my responsibility to unload last as well as be able to load first if driving out and we see an animal. Then I would have to get out of the truck, load and pursue the animal if safe.

Also, every single hunter has a sidearm while hunting for self defense.

ghosthunter

imported post

gogodawgs

You are way ahead of the curve. Most hunting parties have no where near that good of plan. Wish they did.

Handguns do not to seem to be aproblem as far as hunting accidents go. Most hunters do not carry a handgun while hunting although many of my group do.

Quilbilly

imported post

PoppaGary wrote:
Seems like they are stretching the interpretation of the law if they can give you a ticket for merely leaning your rifle/shotgun against your vehicle. I know that is probably what I would do, or would have now, when I returned to my vehicle.

While it is safer to unload the gun before you set it down, I can see how easy it could be to do otherwise. Set your gun down, drop your pack, unlock the rig, grab a cold pop or water out of the cooler while you unloaded your gun and packed stuff away. Especially if one doesn't have a handgun....if I didn't then unloading the rifle would be my last task so I wouldn't be defenseless.

Gary
My firearm safety instructor said that he knew a guy who would wait in the parking lot at popular hunting spots and ticket people who leaned their rifles on their cars.

joeroket

imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
I have taught Hunter Ed for 15 years and always open carry when hunting , including in my truck. I have had countless encounters with Fish and Wildlife officers. In 40 years not one has ever cared one bit about my handgun.

But if you get caught with a loaded long gun you will get a ticket. They do not like that one bit. Been several close calls betweenofficers and hunters with loaded long guns. Oneofficer was killed back in the 60s.

Several hunters or their partners have ben killed in or around the car or truck.

That goes for leaning on or againist any motorized vech.
Terry Hoffer was killed in 84 because of a dumbass trying to unload his rifle after being waved over by the officers.

http://odmp.org/officer/6581-wildlife-agent-terry-l.-hoffer

ghosthunter

imported post

There have been several close calls over the past few years. Most do not make the paper.

Two years ago Forest service officers & Game officers were working a check station in Yakima area. Two yahoos in a truck drove up and as the Forest officer walked towards them they discharged a high power rifle though the floor of their truck.

Gravel and fragments of bullet struck the officer. He was not badly injured. However the the two yahoos were detained for over a hour until they could hear well enough to answer questions.

I tell all my students that around the automobile is a very dangerous place.