Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky OC Meetings?

Post imported post

Just curious. I attended an OC meeting in Utah a while back and am curious as to whether or not it's a common thing.

Granted, the OC meeting was through a different forum, but still it would be awesome to have something like that around here. At the one in Utah, it was at a Red Robin, and there were about 30 people, all OCing. It was fantastic.

So, do you Kentucky folk do things like this too? If so, where can I find the info? :P

Also, I apologize if I overlooked some event schedule or something. I'm still new to this site.

Thanks, folks!

Post imported post

Our gatherings are kinda random, if you want to have an OC breakfast or Dinner just start a new topic with the date time and place and people will let ya know if they can make it, but we don't keep any definite schedules of meetings to my knowledge

Post imported post

Yeah. from time to time some of the folks here set up a get together. Most of them go on around the E-town & Louisville area though.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Post imported post

Huh, I see. Well, anyone wanna lend me a hand getting something rolling then? I'm totally flexible on dates as long as it's after the 20th. I would love to get something started, but I don't know when the best day is for everyone. Don't wanna pick a bad day and end up with a lousy turnout.

Also, E-Town and Louisville are about the same distance from me, so the place doesn't really matter all that much to me either. Can anyone provide some info on a place that maybe has supported OCers in the past? Maybe somewhere that has hosted previous OC meetings or that has voiced support in the OC community?

Post imported post

I'd be down for a gathering in Louisville.. Or anywhere else if I can catch a ride from Louisville from someone going.. (My Scooter's not capable of Highway speeds..)

-Adam

Post imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
    I'd be down for a gathering in Louisville.. Or anywhere else if I can catch a ride from Louisville from someone going.. (My Scooter's not capable of Highway speeds..)

-Adam
    I actually haven't been to Louisville yet, so I'd be all for that. I've been looking for an excuse forthe wife and I to head out there.

Comments on a Louisville location, peoplez?

Post imported post

Tribunal--what part of the state are you from? I'm in lex and I'd be up for one.

Post imported post

+1 for Lexington

Post imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:
    Comments on a Louisville location, peoplez?
    Well.. there's always Starbucks.. I'm an OCing regular at the Shelbyville Rd St Mathews location..

-Adam

Post imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
    Tribunal--what part of the state are you from? I'm in lex and I'd be up for one.
    I'm in Lebanon. Lexington, Louisville and E-Town are all pretty equidistant from me, so I'm fine with any of them. :P

Post imported post

Well, here's a way to decide-- This is a democracy, after all.

Louisville:
    Kriegsammler (will hitch with someone if meeting is elsewhere)

Lexington
    Langzaiguy
    Thoriz

Either:
    Tribunal Power
    Gutshot

To add your vote, copy and paste the above and put your name down accordingly. We'll see where this takes us.

Also, any reccommendations or suggestions as to the locale are helpful. So far we've gotan OC-friendly Starbucks.

Post imported post

While I can't really say for sure I can make anything is specific yet. You gentlemen might like to keep in mind that there's a gun show coming up on us fast on June 19th in Lexington at Lexington Center. If you guys are looking for a central area to meet and have some face-time plus have something else to do while in the area, Lexington might be a good idea for either a pre-show breakfast or a post-show dinner.

Ideas as to places? I did an OC at the Golden Corral off New Circle after the last gun show a few months back. I didn't have any problems though my dining companion had remarked later after we left that a couple people had eyeballed the sidearmed. *LOL*
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Post imported post

Well, if they know they're weapons, they could make out the make and the model, but not the caliber. *LOL*
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Post imported post

neuroblades wrote:
    While I can't really say for sure I can make anything is specific yet. You gentlemen might like to keep in mind that there's a gun show coming up on us fast on June 19th in Lexington at Lexington Center. If you guys are looking for a central area to meet and have some face-time plus have something else to do while in the area, Lexington might be a good idea for either a pre-show breakfast or a post-show dinner.

Ideas as to places? I did an OC at the Golden Corral off New Circle after the last gun show a few months back. I didn't have any problems though my dining companion had remarked later after we left that a couple people had eyeballed the sidearmed. *LOL*
    Oooh. Now there's an idea. Getting a bunch of folk and raiding a gun show soumds like a real time. :P

What are the details of the gun show? Things such as admission fee, oropen-closing time? Any info would be helpful.

Also, when we figure out where to eat, do you think it would be necessary to call and inform them what we're doing? Management may get intimidated by a group of people OCing all at once in their restaurant...

Post imported post

Here's the information on the show:

http://www.lexingtoncenter.com/event...kennyWoods.php

If you go to this site:

http://www.rkshows.com/

You can printa $1 off coupon, it's clickable at the very top of the page.

For those that may've not been to one of these before, you can carry a sidearm or carry a weapon (long gun), be advised that ALL weapons will have to be cheked in before you enter the venue. All weapons have a zip tie run through the breach for safety. No loaded weapons are allowed! No loaded clips allowed!

That's the official statement.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Post imported post

Saturday, June 19
    9:00am - 5:00pm

Sunday, June 20
    9:00am - 4:00pm
    Based on the times, it would probably be better to do the dinner afterwards. That way people can come to the show whenever they want and just meet up at the restaurant.

Thank you, neuro, for the information!

Does it strike anyone else as silly that you're allowed to carry but must have your weapon disabled? Meh.

Post imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:

Does it strike anyone else as silly that you're allowed to carry but must have your weapon disabled? Meh.
    No, not silly so much as an insurance requirement for those who run the shows. Plus, seeing some of the absolutely LOUSY firearms handling that takes place at these things, and not just a by a tiny minority of attendees, it's a "necessary evil" in my opinion. You can thank the worst common denominator folks for this as much as the insurance companies.

Not bashing gun shows or their patrons btw...just now got back from the big one in Louisville myself.

Post imported post

Mm, I suppose I can see that. I've seen some pretty reckless handling at gun shows myself.

Post imported post

Should I make a seperate thread for this now that we have some idea of what's going on? Having a title like "Lexington OC Meeting and Gun Show" might catch more people's attention...

Post imported post

Any further suggestions on where we should meet after the gun show? Someone mentioned Golden Corral-- any other places to consider?

Post imported post

gutshot wrote:
    Tribunal Power wrote:
    Any further suggestions on where we should meet after the gun show? Someone mentioned Golden Corral-- any other places to consider?

I suspect that Golden Corral will be very busy late on Saturday afternoon.
    That may be true. But if we don't get any other OC-friendly places, we may just end up going there by default.

Post imported post

gutshot wrote:
    Tribunal Power wrote:
    gutshot wrote:
    Tribunal Power wrote:

I suspect that Golden Corral will be very busy late on Saturday afternoon.
    That may be true. But if we don't get any other OC-friendly places, we may just end up going there by default.
    Crackerbarrel and Bob Evans are OC friendly. Maybe we should try some place we're not sure of and see if they want to turn us away.
    I dunno. I mean, any place that isn't familiar with OCers probably won't like the idea of a mob of people carrying guns walking into their establishment. :\ You really think it's a good idea?

If you guys don't have anything against that, then I suppose anywhere near the center where the gun show will be would be fine to meet at.

Post imported post

I'm always up for Cracker Barrel, but if we're up for somewhere new then maybe Louden Square Buffet, or Kentucky BBQ on New Circle.

Post imported post

If anyone's local to Lexington, maybe give Golden Corral a call and ask about getting the side room for the group from OCDC? If they know we're coming, then there shouldn't be any objections that I can see. If they do object then we'll know well ahead of time and plan somewhere else.

I know on my previous visit there after the last Lexington show, I had no problems, just a couple of "look overs" and that was it. One gentleman even asked about OC and I had the opportunity to educate a fellow Kentuckian as to his rights to OC as long as he was legal to own.

Just a thought, gang.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Post imported post

I'll be out of town this weekend, so much much help for the meet-up. Catch you guys on the next one.
    --Thoriz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast