• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky OC Meetings?

Tribunal Power

imported post

Just curious. I attended an OC meeting in Utah a while back and am curious as to whether or not it's a common thing.

Granted, the OC meeting was through a different forum, but still it would be awesome to have something like that around here. At the one in Utah, it was at a Red Robin, and there were about 30 people, all OCing. It was fantastic.

So, do you Kentucky folk do things like this too? If so, where can I find the info? :p

Also, I apologize if I overlooked some event schedule or something. I'm still new to this site.

Thanks, folks!

BigBubba

imported post

Our gatherings are kinda random, if you want to have an OC breakfast or Dinner just start a new topic with the date time and place and people will let ya know if they can make it, but we don't keep any definite schedules of meetings to my knowledge

neuroblades

imported post

Yeah. from time to time some of the folks here set up a get together. Most of them go on around the E-town & Louisville area though.

Tribunal Power

imported post

Huh, I see. Well, anyone wanna lend me a hand getting something rolling then? I'm totally flexible on dates as long as it's after the 20th. I would love to get something started, but I don't know when the best day is for everyone. Don't wanna pick a bad day and end up with a lousy turnout.

Also, E-Town and Louisville are about the same distance from me, so the place doesn't really matter all that much to me either. Can anyone provide some info on a place that maybe has supported OCers in the past? Maybe somewhere that has hosted previous OC meetings or that has voiced support in the OC community?

Kriegsammler

imported post

I'd be down for a gathering in Louisville.. Or anywhere else if I can catch a ride from Louisville from someone going.. (My Scooter's not capable of Highway speeds..) ;)

-Adam

Tribunal Power

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
I'd be down for a gathering in Louisville.. Or anywhere else if I can catch a ride from Louisville from someone going.. (My Scooter's not capable of Highway speeds..) ;)

-Adam

I actually haven't been to Louisville yet, so I'd be all for that. I've been looking for an excuse forthe wife and I to head out there.

Comments on a Louisville location, peoplez?

Tribunal Power

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
Tribunal--what part of the state are you from? I'm in lex and I'd be up for one.
I'm in Lebanon. Lexington, Louisville and E-Town are all pretty equidistant from me, so I'm fine with any of them. :p

Tribunal Power

imported post

Well, here's a way to decide-- This is a democracy, after all.

Louisville:
Kriegsammler (will hitch with someone if meeting is elsewhere)

Lexington
Langzaiguy
Thoriz

Either:
Tribunal Power
Gutshot

To add your vote, copy and paste the above and put your name down accordingly. We'll see where this takes us. :D

Also, any reccommendations or suggestions as to the locale are helpful. So far we've gotan OC-friendly Starbucks.

neuroblades

imported post

While I can't really say for sure I can make anything is specific yet. You gentlemen might like to keep in mind that there's a gun show coming up on us fast on June 19th in Lexington at Lexington Center. :) If you guys are looking for a central area to meet and have some face-time plus have something else to do while in the area, Lexington might be a good idea for either a pre-show breakfast or a post-show dinner.

Ideas as to places? I did an OC at the Golden Corral off New Circle after the last gun show a few months back. I didn't have any problems though my dining companion had remarked later after we left that a couple people had eyeballed the sidearmed. *LOL*

Tribunal Power

imported post

neuroblades wrote:
While I can't really say for sure I can make anything is specific yet. You gentlemen might like to keep in mind that there's a gun show coming up on us fast on June 19th in Lexington at Lexington Center. :) If you guys are looking for a central area to meet and have some face-time plus have something else to do while in the area, Lexington might be a good idea for either a pre-show breakfast or a post-show dinner.

Ideas as to places? I did an OC at the Golden Corral off New Circle after the last gun show a few months back. I didn't have any problems though my dining companion had remarked later after we left that a couple people had eyeballed the sidearmed. *LOL*

Oooh. Now there's an idea. Getting a bunch of folk and raiding a gun show soumds like a real time. :p

What are the details of the gun show? Things such as admission fee, oropen-closing time? Any info would be helpful.

Also, when we figure out where to eat, do you think it would be necessary to call and inform them what we're doing? Management may get intimidated by a group of people OCing all at once in their restaurant...

neuroblades

imported post

Here's the information on the show:

http://www.lexingtoncenter.com/events/2010/20100619_kennyWoods.php

If you go to this site:

http://www.rkshows.com/

You can printa $1 off coupon, it's clickable at the very top of the page.

For those that may've not been to one of these before, you can carry a sidearm or carry a weapon (long gun), be advised that ALL weapons will have to be cheked in before you enter the venue. All weapons have a zip tie run through the breach for safety. No loaded weapons are allowed! No loaded clips allowed!

That's the official statement.

Tribunal Power

imported post

Saturday, June 19
9:00am - 5:00pm

Sunday, June 20
9:00am - 4:00pm
Based on the times, it would probably be better to do the dinner afterwards. That way people can come to the show whenever they want and just meet up at the restaurant.

Thank you, neuro, for the information!

Does it strike anyone else as silly that you're allowed to carry but must have your weapon disabled? Meh.

Brian D.

imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:
Does it strike anyone else as silly that you're allowed to carry but must have your weapon disabled? Meh.

No, not silly so much as an insurance requirement for those who run the shows. Plus, seeing some of the absolutely LOUSY firearms handling that takes place at these things, and not just a by a tiny minority of attendees, it's a "necessary evil" in my opinion. You can thank the worst common denominator folks for this as much as the insurance companies.

Not bashing gun shows or their patrons btw...just now got back from the big one in Louisville myself.

Tribunal Power

imported post

Should I make a seperate thread for this now that we have some idea of what's going on? Having a title like "Lexington OC Meeting and Gun Show" might catch more people's attention...