• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NorPoint Shooting Range

tat2ed_guy

imported post

Not sure of all the details (as I am in Iraq) but the wife just drove by and told me about it and I thought i would pass it along to you guys. Free shooting with the purchase of ammo.

Mech

imported post

*noob moment alert* can someone please school me on what a "range nazi" is? Thanks.

*noob moment off*

amzbrady

imported post

tat2ed_guy wrote:
Not sure of all the details (as I am in Iraq) but the wife just drove by and told me about it and I thought i would pass it along to you guys. Free shooting with the purchase of ammo.

Your wife is in Iraq also? :lol:

Thank you for your service. Watch out for the camel spiders.:shock:

Lurkus Maximus

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amlevin wrote:
Beware of the "Range Nazi(s)" there.
I shoot there about twice a month and I have never seen their RSOs be anything but personable to anyone, UNLESS they do something they shouldn't.

I have seen a couple of folks get chewed (deservidly) for sweeping others, even a couple of yahoos that had their muzzles pointing through the window at us at the front counter!

I will continue to shoot there. It's clean, convenient, and the people that work the range counter are great.
:celebrate

amlevin

imported post

joeroket wrote:
amlevin wrote:
Huh? I have yet to encounter one there. I have however encountered one at every visit to Wades and Sams.
You must go there when Anthony is the RSO (or when the owners are on site). There are two other (names will not be given) that go way beyond what's necessary to achieve their objective (Range Safety). Anthony knows how to do his job, getting his message across with a minimum of shouting and threats.

waterfowl woody

imported post

i have shot there a couple times. great place to shoot. One incounter with the guy at the desk with the question of "open carry" on there property. I asked if they follow the wasington state law on open carry. He replied " yes we follow the law of open carry, that is if you have your CPL to do so." ??? I stated to him that thats not what the open carry law states and explained it to him. he turned red, embarrased not mad, and started with " oh ya well thats fine as long as you leave it in its holster and just remember that we keep our guns loaded!" I acted like I didn't here that one and proceeded to the range.

my opinion... Why would that shooting range let peoplework there with that attitude towards others with the same interests, yet alone that I am there to pay them to use there range. doesn't the open carry law state that you are not to intimidate another when open carry a firearm. well he was opencarryand to me that is a intimidation of a phrase. In his defense I guess I really dont know how many idoits come there. still the stuggles we face with people not understanding guns or the right to have guns they should be more friendly so people will want to ask and learn. Instead with people like that others think gun owners and others alike are cocky asses.

sorry went off there but had that on my craw since it happened. Still I will support that range because the sum of the people working there were ok.

joeroket

imported post

amlevin wrote:
joeroket wrote:
amlevin wrote:

Huh?  I have yet to encounter one there. I have however encountered one at every visit to Wades and Sams.
You must go there when Anthony is the RSO (or when the owners are on site).  There are two other (names will not be given) that go way beyond what's necessary to achieve their objective (Range Safety).  Anthony knows how to do his job, getting his message across with a minimum of shouting and threats. 

I have encountered at least three of the RSO's there. Maybe my persona is just that good. :p

centermass

imported post

I would agree, going in with a bad attitude toward their rules will turn anyone into a "nazi" a work friend told me similar stories that they were griping about they were shooting and the ammo they bought. A group of my friends went there with 3 7.62, 2 shotguns, 2 .22, and several handguns. Not only were they friendly but we got a good deal. They let us shoot out wolf since they were sold out ( they make you buy THEIR wolf) then she procceeded to let us use the entire bay for laying out weapons since we had so many and use all lanes ( it was empty)

New Daddy

imported post

I don't know about this place. I was there one time and had asked a question. The guy at the counter answered me and less than a minute later owner called and corrected him.

Kind of gave me the willies.

Nimh

imported post

centermass wrote:
I would agree, going in with a bad attitude toward their rules will turn anyone into a "nazi" a work friend told me similar stories that they were griping about they were shooting and the ammo they bought. A group of my friends went there with 3 7.62, 2 shotguns, 2 .22, and several handguns. Not only were they friendly but we got a good deal. They let us shoot out wolf since they were sold out ( they make you buy THEIR wolf) then she procceeded to let us use the entire bay for laying out weapons since we had so many and use all lanes ( it was empty)

Odd. I might get flack from the Norpoint fans here but...

I was there a few weeks back to shoot my new-to-me 7.62 with some Wolf I had picked up off the net for less than $4/box. Norpoint told me the ammo I had wasn't allowed and I would have to buy from their stock... which was the same Wolf stuff for $13/box. This is on top of their extra fee for shooting long guns which I believe has recently gone up. As I was planning on shooting my .45 (100 rounds) and another 100 rounds or so out of the AK, with range fee my lane was quickly going North of $100. They said it was a "tax" for shooting the Wolf ammo at their backstop.

When I told them I would pass on shooting the AK that evening at those prices, they said I had to put my ammo back out in my car, even though I wouldn't be pulling the AK from the range bag.

Between the range ammo pricing and these kinds of policies (which the RO kept asserting he didn't make the rules, and was just following them) I'm left cold with the place. If 7.62 is hard on the range, dissallow it, and the same goes for Wolf. I guess for what they charge for range ammo, a "free" lane may be in the eye of the beholder.

I will say that having gone there off-and-on for a couple of years, I've never had a problem with the RO's, but I usually bring my own ammo with me.

joeroket

imported post

centermass wrote:
Was this before or after they replaced their backstops. If it was more than a month ago then it was before and that is probably the reason she let you fire your wolf. Most wolf ammo is steel lined and will destroy a backstop. The wolf they sell is non-steel and is safe for backstops. Go in with Tula and they will tell you the same thing. It does not matter what caliber you fire or brand of ammo, if it is steel lined then they will not allow it.

Bersa.380

imported post

I shoot there at least once a month and most people are polite to me .... except one guy tries to act like John Wayne sometimes. BUT hey .... free range time with Ammo purchase .... COOL ! ! ! I have tomorrow off !

Stein

imported post

Look at the nice chip in the bullet resistant glass right behind the counter and I can see why they are very careful about steel core. I had a guy right before me fail the magnet test using Wally ammo.

I have been there maybe 20 times and have yet to have a bad experience. I bought a gun, shot on the range and took an FAS course as well as shot the IDPA qualifier last weekend.

There may be a range nazi there somewhere but I have yet to see or hear from him. I have pushed the rapid fire envelope a couple of times (ok, several times), but I have put them on the target and was safe the entire time.

Personally, I would not want to own a range because far too many people show up who have no idea how to safely handle a firearm.

They also have ladies night on Monday where they get in free. I took my wife there and we paid $15 to rent all the guns to figure out what our next house gun would be.