• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Washington resident with a few questions

devildoc5

imported post

First off let me say that I am both new to this state and this forum. I am one of those "pansy-a$$e$ from California" I believe is the appropriate terminology on this board :)

That being said I am interested in possibly open carrying in the future and I am just trying to figure out a few things. I have been through the boards and have worked my way through a significant number of posts. I am confident that I know the general gist of the RCWs, although not which number is what or for who or how long or how many times and what have you not.

My first question (I have a feeling the big scary BEAR is gonna flame me for this and I apologize in advance) I am more comfortable using a drop holster setup as it is what I have trained with and utilized in the past. That being said what are the possible legal ramifications of this? Is there any one who has done it? What are the possible LEO problems, if any, that may be associated with this type of a setup?

Second (ok not really but still) can anyone recommend any other places of reference for finding out more about Washington state laws in regards to open carry, other than the RCW's and here? Other forums that deal with WA state issues?

All help is greatly appreciated.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

First and foremost, welcome to the forum!

Second, you don't fit the "panty ass from Kalifornia" bill, seeing as how you're looking to open carry, haha!

There's no law saying what kind of holster you can or can't use, so your drop leg holster is perfectly fine! In fact, Batousaii uses a rustic looking rig for his single action Ruger that would be the modern day equivalent of a drop leg holster. Police may hassle you but they can't actually do anything. I've OC'd plenty in Lakewood and haven't had any problem, I use a Blackhawk Serpa level II retention holster.

Here you can open carry loaded to your heart's content. You only need a concealed pistol license for concealed carry and to have your pistol loaded in a vehicle. Without a CPL, you have to unload every time you get in a vehicle, which means no magazine containing ammunition in the gun, and no round in the chamber. Some people carry without one in the chamber when they don't have a CPL for the convenience of only having to remove the mag, rather than racking the slide to unchamber a round.

Dang, we have several people in Lakewood now. Let's get a meetup going!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

devildoc5 wrote:
First off let me say that I am both new to this state and this forum. I am one of those "pansy-a$$e$ from California" I believe is the appropriate terminology on this board :) If you stay here, do not vote like they do in Kalifornia

That being said I am interested in possibly open carrying in the future and I am just trying to figure out a few things. I have been through the boards and have worked my way through a significant number of posts. I am confident that I know the general gist of the RCWs, although not which number is what or for who or how long or how many times and what have you not. Print out the pamphlet found here and carry it with you... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/32333.html

My first question (I have a feeling the big scary BEAR is gonna flame me for this and I apologize in advance) I am more comfortable using a drop holster setup as it is what I have trained with and utilized in the past. That being said what are the possible legal ramifications of this?No legal remifications.Is there any one who has done it? Yes there are a couple. What are the possible LEO problems, if any, that may be associated with this type of a setup? You will be noticed more often than if you carry a black gun in a black holster on your hip. Be prepared to answer more questions from the public as well as from LEO.

Second (ok not really but still) can anyone recommend any other places of reference for finding out more about Washington state laws in regards to open carry, other than the RCW's and here? This site covers it the absolute best, I would recommend that you continue to read this forum. Other forums that deal with WA state issues?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to OCDO. We are having coffee this Saturday at Starbucks just north of Lakewood in Federal Way. Please join us! This board is by far the best for figuring out OC. Do you or are you planning on getting a WA CPL?

Coffee thread here...
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/45511.html

devildoc5

imported post

Possibly, not too sure about the whole CPL yet I prefer Beretta actions and the 92fs is by far my favorite THUS far and those are just a LITTLE bit difficult to conceal...

I am thinking about possibly trying out a few others and seeing if one will fit the concealed carry bill while still fitting nicely in my hands and being reliable. Havent found one I like yet, but that doesnt mean there isnt one out there.

devildoc5

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Some people carry without one in the chamber when they don't have a CPL for the convenience of only having to remove the mag, rather than racking the slide to unchamber a round.
I know I am from California and all and we have the unloaded open carry law....nut doesnt that kinda defeat the purpose of open carrying in the first place? That is the reason I refused to open carry in CA, it seemed more like a "see I have a weapon but I will never be able to draw load and rack a round in before you can pull your hommie pistol outta your waistband and shoot me twice"

j2l3

imported post

Yep, that's exactly the problem.

The only legal way around it is to get your concealed pistol license. That way you can have it fuly loaded everywhere, even in the car or bus.

It's stupid, but it is what it is.

devildoc5

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
devildoc5 wrote:
First off let me say that I am both new to this state and this forum. I am one of those "pansy-a$$e$ from California" I believe is the appropriate terminology on this board :) If you stay here, do not vote like they do in Kalifornia
What's wrong with voting like they do in California? We are getting ready to legalize marijuana for all citizens thus creating MAJOR problems with the DEA and CA residents, we have non us citizens that run our state government, and we allow anyone to have an opinion except for U.S. citizens? Where is the error in that?

Nope dont see anything wrong with that...lol

.45ACPaddy

imported post

devildoc5 wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
devildoc5 wrote:
What's wrong with voting like they do in California? We are getting ready to legalize marijuana for all citizens thus creating MAJOR problems with the DEA and CA residents, we have non us citizens that run our state government, and we allow anyone to have an opinion except for U.S. citizens? Where is the error in that?

Nope dont see anything wrong with that...lol
Nope, nothing at all :lol:

devildoc5

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Yep, that's exactly the problem.

The only legal way around it is to get your concealed pistol license. That way you can have it fuly loaded everywhere, even in the car or bus.

It's stupid, but it is what it is.
well I can understand the whole vehicle thing as that I GUESS could be misconstured as being concealed, however even if I dont immediately get a CPL I will be damn sure that I am locked cocked and ready to rock whenever it is legal to do so. I mean honestly how hard is it to remove the mag and rack the chamber back? all you gotta do then is place that round back in the mag. That should take a whole few seconds of "inconvienience" during a time when you can semi control the environment versus having to rack a round into the chamber after drawing and attempting to acquire sight picture while in a hostile environment.

And I think (correct me if I am wrong here) I saw a post that stated according to the law you could TECHNICALLY have the pistol on your strong leg unloaded and the mag on your weak leg while driving and still be legal? Not that I would I am just trying to see if the old think box is still working right...

Or am I just completely way off base here?

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Not off base, really. Some people just carry without one in the chamber so they don't have to handle their carry piece out in public. I used to do this, and I practiced drawing and racking while on the way up to getting my sight picture. I was almost as fast at doing that as drawing without racking, but it there was a small difference. It's all a matter of personal preference. Also, it doesn't matter where the gun is on your person as long as you're not concealing it. It can be on your hip, on your leg, or even duct taped to your forehead! As long as it's not concealed on your person (i.e. under a jacket) then you're fine. The mag can be anywhere. It can be taped to the gun if you want, just not actually in the gun.

j2l3

imported post

Not off base, no. Most people are just concerned with racking the slide out in the open, with people around. Right or wrong, it might get more people to call the police when there is no need.

You can't do it IN the car, because then you would be in violation. Busses fall under the same restriction as cars. Racking the slide at a bus stop is probably not the best way to go either.

devildoc5

imported post

I personally (pending advice and cautionary tales from other more experienced persons) would believe that opening the door and placing the weapon inside the vehicle and removing the chambered round would not be any reason for anything to happen, yet again that is my own opinion and I defer to the wiser more experienced members

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A couple of things. If one of your hands is incapacitated then having to rack the slide may not be the best way to carry. I believe that a CPL is the best way to deal with 'worst case' scenarios.

There are carefully drawn out exclusions to having a CPL. So if you are always going hiking, camping, fishing..... you would be excluded. (Be aware there are no court precedents)
RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to Restrictions on carrying firarms.

(8)Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

devildoc5

imported post

I have read that RCW nnumerous times and as I am not a lawyer (nor very bright at times it seems) I cannot for the life of me figure out what "attending circumstances" means. Anyone got any knowledgeable insight into this?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

devildoc5 wrote:
I have read that RCW nnumerous times and as I am not a lawyer (nor very bright at times it seems) I cannot for the life of me figure out what "attending circumstances" means. Anyone got any knowledgeable insight into this?

Yes, to some degree you must have some sort of articuable proof that you are going to be hiking.

If you are in a buiness suit..... nope.

If there are no hiking trails around ..... nope.

USMC1911

imported post

Welcome aboard DevilDoc5. What Marine Unit had the pleasure of your service ? I have much respect for Navy Corpsmen, ours followed us any where and every where, trained with us, even wore our uniforms to our standards. Semper Fi Doc !