Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: Somebody here missing their gun in Milwaukee?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minocqua, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    179

    Post imported post

    June 9, 2010 4:12 p.m.

    Milwaukee police are investigating a robbery in which a man took a handgun from another man who was openly carrying the gun in a holster on his hip, a department spokeswoman said Wednesday.The robbery occurred Friday on a sidewalk in the 7000 block of N. Teutonia Ave., police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said.

    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/95995449.html
    More at link.
    Just another reason why we should have a choice on how to carry. Betcha the bad guy didn't have his gun in a holster.


  2. #2
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,197

    Post imported post

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/45736.html

    Ch. 4 will be running a story tonight at 6pm.

    I'll post a link when it becomes available.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,096

    Post imported post

    Will this be the first confirmed story?
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    This isn't a gunsnatch so much as it isan armed robbery.

    Police carry in the open and have had guns taken away on rare occasions.

  5. #5
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    Depends upon how you define "rare"

    There are no national statistics on how many times officers' guns are taken away. But the FBI says that of the 616 law enforcement officers killed on duty by criminals from 1994 through 2003, 52 were killed with their own weapon, amounting to 8 percent.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    yeah, uncommon is probably a better term. I wonder how many of those killed by their own gun were from suicides or from their spouses and how many were from some stranger who relieved them of their weapon.

  7. #7
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    Here's a link to latest (2008) statistics on LEOs.

    http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/killed/2008/f...slykilled.html

    Keep in mind that most likely far more survived, so it happens more often than just in the cases where an officer is killed.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    Seems to me like that is the area where a group of OCers should get together and take a walk.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SM, ,
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    Sounds like someone needed to get more familiar with their holster. At least noone got hurt. I wonder if it was a Blackhawk Serpa?



    Sorry I didnt hear the report correctly...did he get approached from behind?

    just wondering how the robber got to the holster before the OCer

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    JGEARHOBBER wrote:
    Sounds like someone needed to get more familiar with their holster. At least noone got hurt. I wonder if it was a Blackhawk Serpa?
    It wasn't the OCer who wasn't familiar with the holster it was the thug. Although I wouldn't have released the firearm other than to shoot the worthless piece of crap between the eyes.

    Just goes to show that all the retention in the world may not be the answer.

    Know your surroundings. Do not let strangers invade your personal space when you are armed. You can speak to people without being inches away.

    As far as the cigarette goes, a simple "no" would do. It is obvious that is not what he was after anyway.

    It is easy for us all to criticize. The best thing we can do is learn from this. Get some friends together and practice with airsoft guns.

  11. #11
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047

    Post imported post

    J.Gleason wrote:
    Although I wouldn't have released the firearm other than to shoot the worthless piece of crap between the eyes.
    Are you sure? It's amazing how we sit behind our keyboards and bloviate about what we would do. I am under no illusion, I have a plan worked out in my head but once again I reserve the right to crap my pants and lie in the fetal position when something actually happens. That is not my plan, however.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
    J.Gleason wrote:
    Although I wouldn't have released the firearm other than to shoot the worthless piece of crap between the eyes.
    Are you sure? It's amazing how we sit behind our keyboards and bloviate about what we would do. I am under no illusion, I have a plan worked out in my head but once again I reserve the right to crap my pants and lie in the fetal position when something actually happens. That is not my plan, however.
    Yeah I am sure, but then I have practiced for more than 26 years. Like I said, I am not criticizing just making the point that practice makes perfect and probably getting together with some friends for some safe practice would help.

    Just because you doubt yourself doesn't mean that everyone else does.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    This is NOT the first time an Open Carrier had a handgun taken at gunpoint. Numerous times across the country, that never hit the news.

    This is exactly the point I have made in previous posts. CCW has its own advantages and this story clarifies one of them.

    In high crme areas filled with brazen criminals, it is far better to CCW. IF you are going to Open Carry, you better have a CC handgun to get your OC handgun back.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    299

    Post imported post

    Damn, I hope the police get my gun back. :celebrate


    This wasn't me. I'm joking.

  15. #15
    McX
    Guest

    Post imported post

    CC is illegal in wisconsin, except for the right of property, and business owners. i heard mention of it may have happened before, so i take stock in that. missed the tv, so what i get is what is here, at this moment. maybe wisconsin carry consider offering theft of gun while carrying coverage.
    something seriously wrong with a society that preys on open carriers, if this extrapolates, and it usually does, things could get murky.

    i ain't no lawyer, but i ain't no criminal's gun store either!

    time for the powers that be to get down to it, and give us something before it does get worse.

    edited for spelling errors

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    721

    Post imported post

    Your first level of retention is situational awareness.

    Your second level of retention is not allowing people you don't know to be in your personal space while carrying.

    Your third level of retention is your hands and elbows to stop a grab attempt.

    Your fourth level of retention is your holster's retention

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    Your fifth level of retention is squeezing the trigger.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    Here is the video:

    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local...CLIP_ID_249430

    I get a kick out of the anchor stating that the OCer found out that open carrying a gun doesn't make you safe. Almost as if they were making fun of the guy. Now what if he had drawn his gun and shot the thug? Then what? then they would do the same to him as they did to Jesus. Convict him before his trial.

  19. #19
    McX
    Guest

    Post imported post

    getting out there to the point where carriers have to carry in pairs- people that is.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    smithman wrote:
    Your first level of retention is situational awareness.*

    Your second level of retention is not allowing people you don't know to be in your personal space while carrying.*

    Your third level of retention is your hands and elbows to stop a grab attempt.

    Your fourth level of retention is your holster's retention
    Excellent points. Has anyone here studied Krav Maga disarm techniques? Though they would be an absolute last resort, they do have merit.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    QuikDrawMcGraw wrote:
    This is NOT the first time an Open Carrier had a handgun taken at gunpoint. Numerous times across the country, that never hit the news. 1

    This is exactly the point I have made in previous posts. CCW has its own advantages and this story clarifies one of them.

    In high crme areas filled with brazen criminals, it is far better to CCW. IF you are going to Open Carry, you better have a CC handgun to get your OC handgun back. 2
    1. If it "never hits the news", how do you know about it? Got any sources/links/stats for your assertion?

    2. As should be common knowledge by now, CCW is ILLEGAL inWisconsin for the common Citizen. Did you miss the memo, or are you only here on vacation from your bridge?

  22. #22
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    QuikDrawMcGraw wrote:
    This is NOT the first time an Open Carrier had a handgun taken at gunpoint. Numerous times across the country, that never hit the news.
    Much more commonly it's at LEO's gunpoint.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  23. #23
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    JGEARHOBBER wrote:
    I wonder if it was a Blackhawk Serpa?
    I understand that it was, but that's largely irrelevant, as is the level of retention. For all it matters, it could have been locked in a safe, but when a person suddenly has a gun pointed at his head one tends to comply with whatever demands are made. As far as suggestions of Krav Maga and any other Kung fu-like moves, go ahead and take your chances if you want, you might get lucky.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    Shotgun wrote:
    JGEARHOBBER wrote:
    I wonder if it was a Blackhawk Serpa?
    I understand that it was, but that's largely irrelevant, as is the level of retention.* For all it matters, it could have been locked in a safe, but when a person suddenly has a gun pointed at his head one tends to comply with whatever demands are made.* As far as suggestions of Krav Maga and any other Kung fu-like moves, go ahead and take your chances if you want, you might get lucky.*
    Have you spent any time studying Krav Maga or other disarm techniques? They are designed as a last ditch effort when you have no other alternatives. And Kung Fu is very different.

  25. #25
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    professor gun wrote:
    Shotgun wrote:
    JGEARHOBBER wrote:
    I wonder if it was a Blackhawk Serpa?
    I understand that it was, but that's largely irrelevant, as is the level of retention. For all it matters, it could have been locked in a safe, but when a person suddenly has a gun pointed at his head one tends to comply with whatever demands are made. As far as suggestions of Krav Maga and any other Kung fu-like moves, go ahead and take your chances if you want, you might get lucky.
    Have you spent any time studying Krav Maga or other disarm techniques? They are designed as a last ditch effort when you have no other alternatives. And Kung Fu is very different.
    Yes. And the key phrase is "last ditch effort" no matter what your skill level or martial arts discipline or style. And hope your opponent is a noob. I doubt the guy in Milwaukee who knowingly robbed an armed individual was a noob.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •