• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Somebody here missing their gun in Milwaukee?

Cobbersmom

imported post

June 9, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Milwaukee police are investigating a robbery in which a man took a handgun from another man who was openly carrying the gun in a holster on his hip, a department spokeswoman said Wednesday.The robbery occurred Friday on a sidewalk in the 7000 block of N. Teutonia Ave., police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/95995449.html
More at link.
Just another reason why we should have a choice on how to carry. Betcha the bad guy didn't have his gun in a holster.

MK

imported post

This isn't a gunsnatch so much as it isan armed robbery.

Police carry in the open and have had guns taken away on rare occasions.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Depends upon how you define "rare"

There are no national statistics on how many times officers' guns are taken away. But the FBI says that of the 616 law enforcement officers killed on duty by criminals from 1994 through 2003, 52 were killed with their own weapon, amounting to 8 percent.

MK

imported post

yeah, uncommon is probably a better term. I wonder how many of those killed by their own gun were from suicides or from their spouses and how many were from some stranger who relieved them of their weapon.

JGEARHOBBER

imported post

Sounds like someone needed to get more familiar with their holster. At least noone got hurt. I wonder if it was a Blackhawk Serpa?

Sorry I didnt hear the report correctly...did he get approached from behind?

just wondering how the robber got to the holster before the OCer

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

JGEARHOBBER wrote:
Sounds like someone needed to get more familiar with their holster. At least noone got hurt. I wonder if it was a Blackhawk Serpa?
It wasn't the OCer who wasn't familiar with the holster it was the thug. Although I wouldn't have released the firearm other than to shoot the worthless piece of crap between the eyes.

Just goes to show that all the retention in the world may not be the answer.

Know your surroundings. Do not let strangers invade your personal space when you are armed. You can speak to people without being inches away.

As far as the cigarette goes, a simple "no" would do. It is obvious that is not what he was after anyway.

It is easy for us all to criticize. The best thing we can do is learn from this. Get some friends together and practice with airsoft guns.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Although I wouldn't have released the firearm other than to shoot the worthless piece of crap between the eyes.

Are you sure? It's amazing how we sit behind our keyboards and bloviate about what we would do. I am under no illusion, I have a plan worked out in my head but once again I reserve the right to crap my pants and lie in the fetal position when something actually happens. That is not my plan, however.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Although I wouldn't have released the firearm other than to shoot the worthless piece of crap between the eyes.

Are you sure? It's amazing how we sit behind our keyboards and bloviate about what we would do. I am under no illusion, I have a plan worked out in my head but once again I reserve the right to crap my pants and lie in the fetal position when something actually happens. That is not my plan, however.
Yeah I am sure, but then I have practiced for more than 26 years. Like I said, I am not criticizing just making the point that practice makes perfect and probably getting together with some friends for some safe practice would help.

Just because you doubt yourself doesn't mean that everyone else does.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

This is NOT the first time an Open Carrier had a handgun taken at gunpoint. Numerous times across the country, that never hit the news.

This is exactly the point I have made in previous posts. CCW has its own advantages and this story clarifies one of them.

In high crme areas filled with brazen criminals, it is far better to CCW. IF you are going to Open Carry, you better have a CC handgun to get your OC handgun back.

M

McX

imported post

CC is illegal in wisconsin, except for the right of property, and business owners. i heard mention of it may have happened before, so i take stock in that. missed the tv, so what i get is what is here, at this moment. maybe wisconsin carry consider offering theft of gun while carrying coverage.
something seriously wrong with a society that preys on open carriers, if this extrapolates, and it usually does, things could get murky.

i ain't no lawyer, but i ain't no criminal's gun store either!

time for the powers that be to get down to it, and give us something before it does get worse.

edited for spelling errors

smithman

imported post

Your first level of retention is situational awareness.

Your second level of retention is not allowing people you don't know to be in your personal space while carrying.

Your third level of retention is your hands and elbows to stop a grab attempt.

Your fourth level of retention is your holster's retention

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Here is the video:

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html?video=pop&t=a&bctid=CLIP_ID_249430

I get a kick out of the anchor stating that the OCer found out that open carrying a gun doesn't make you safe. Almost as if they were making fun of the guy. Now what if he had drawn his gun and shot the thug? Then what? then they would do the same to him as they did to Jesus. Convict him before his trial.

M

McX

imported post

getting out there to the point where carriers have to carry in pairs- people that is.:uhoh:

professor gun

imported post

smithman wrote:
Your first level of retention is situational awareness. 

Your second level of retention is not allowing people you don't know to be in your personal space while carrying. 

Your third level of retention is your hands and elbows to stop a grab attempt.

Your fourth level of retention is your holster's retention

Excellent points. Has anyone here studied Krav Maga disarm techniques? Though they would be an absolute last resort, they do have merit.