• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm going to visit Michigan City

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I live here in North Carolina.

My dad lives in Michigan City, well Trail Creek.

I normally come up once a year....This yeah i decided to visit in the summer... not the winter. lol

But anyways I have only been OCing for about a year now, I don't not have my chp/ccw, because i don't not need it here in NC ( gold star state for carry:monkey )

when i visit can i oc and if so where cant i carry? i.e. banks, school(don't plan on going to one but you never know.) state building and so forth.

protias

imported post

You need a privilege card to carry here. The only place you cannot carry is on K-12 school grounds (unless you are waiting in your car to pick up your child). I'm not too sure about government buildings.

ralphb72

imported post

I don't think that Indiana has a non-resident license to carry a handgun (LTCH), but I could be wrong. You have to have a license to carry here even to OC as protias has already said.

We do recognize ALL other State's licenses or permits though, which is better then many States who are more selective. Probably the best thing you could do is get a NC permit and it would be honored here. Florida and Utah have out of state license/permits that are honored in many States also, but I don't know if NC would honor it since you are a resident there.

Here in IN, we are not restricted in carrying in alcoholic establishments at all.

Hope that helps to answer your questions... Ralph

ralphb72

imported post

IC 35-47-2-3 Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
(a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
(1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
(2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an application form prescribed by the superintendent; or
(3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment. in.

Golden Eagle

Be careful if you Don't have some sort of carry permit I don't think you can even transport it unloaded in your trunk in Indiana.

cmlewis184

Be careful if you Don't have some sort of carry permit I don't think you can even transport it unloaded in your trunk in Indiana.

U.S. Code Title 18
Part I Chapter 44
§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearm

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

This is how I legally transport my gun when I drive from NC through Indiana to get to Chicago. This law still applied even during the Chicago handgun ban. If I was pulled over and my vehicle was searched, I could not be (legally) charged for being in possession of a handgun.