• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheeple at the hardware store

mahkagari

imported post

I'm finally installing a swamp cooler this summer. I had to go to the store for a 25 cent compression fitting I forgot. I neglected to to take cash with me and didn't want to put a quarter on my credit card. I asked a clerk where to find pepper spray to pad out the charge since I needed some anyway.

He showed me where it was and said, "Need defense, huh?"

I shrugged and said, "Neighborhood dogs." I didn't want to get into a conversation about keeping pepper spray by the front door as a step in home defenseescalation. One of the other reasons was agressive dogs getting loose and into my yard where my kids play.

"Animal control can't help you?"

"I've called them, but it makes little difference if I'm out running or jogging and get jumped by a dog whileAnimal Control ison the other side of town."

"Wow....." he said, visibly pondering what part of town I jog in that musthave Australian dingoes running around or something.

Personally, I've been irritated that I hadn't already been carrying pepper spray while running. (Don't have a CCW or belly band (yet)and not sure the comfort trade off is worth the defense risk.) When I lived downtown I always had it by the door at a minimum.

But this guys's astoundment that I would even need to contemplate such a thing blew me away. His immediate response to the thought of being attacked by a dog being to call Animal Control made me certain he'd be in the "if you're being attackedwith your life in danger, just call the police" camp.I'm actually wondering if he was just making friendly conversation or thinking that this would be such a nice quiet friendly town if people just didn't feel the need to defend themselves.

bomber

imported post

my mother in law got attacked by a dog a few months ago in lakewood, she is still having surgeries to fix her injuries. animal control has a 2 strike policy, so the dog still lives. she is terrified of going outside now because that dog is still around. she got pepper spray but i doubt that gives her any piece of mind.

cscitney87

imported post

bomber wrote:
my mother in law got attacked by a dog a few months ago in lakewood,

There's a pit across the sidewalk from my unit...

Needless to say I open carry to and from and will not hesitate to put a hollow point in that dogs direction if it runs towards me.

Have mom carry a .22 maybe?

bomber

imported post

she wont carry. never in a million years

pit bulls are not dangerous, or i should say, not any more dangerous than any other dog of similar size. they have an extremely bad reputation but are among the top choices for a family pet for a lot of reasons, including their temperment with children.
the problem with dogs is not the fact that there are good breeds and bad breeds. the problem is thatwe keep animals thatare capable of inflicting serious injuries andeven death as "pets" and that a lot of owners do not respect this fact.

cscitney87

imported post

I don't care if it's a pit or a husky or a lab. If it's unleashed and comes towards me- I'm putting a bullet in it's direction. Leash laws exist for a reason- to protect humans And the pet itself.

I don't want to be in your mother's situation. I wish her the best and am sorry to hear she was hurt.

SDguy

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
bomber wrote:
my mother in law got attacked by a dog a few months ago in lakewood,

There's a pit across the sidewalk from my unit...

Needless to say I open carry to and from and will not hesitate to put a hollow point in that dogs direction if it runs towards me.

Have mom carry a .22 maybe?

Sorry, but in my opinion a .22 is next to usless against most dogs. I want to stop the attack not make the animal madder.

Hendu024

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I don't care if it's a pit or a husky or a lab. If it's unleashed and comes towards me- I'm putting a bullet in it's direction. Leash laws exist for a reason- to protect humans And the pet itself.

I don't want to be in your mother's situation. I wish her the best and am sorry to hear she was hurt.
So you would 'put a bullet in it's direction' if any dog was unleashed and walking towards you? That sounds like an unlawful discharge charge against you waiting to happen. I'm glad you don't live in my neighborhood.

Diocoles

imported post

I've had german shepards and dobies run at me, I've pulled my weapon and I swear I have never heard a dog owner tell them down as fast as those times.

If they had not, they would have had dead animals. I agree, the leash laws are important for both the animal and the humans involved.

I love animals, but if they are acting agressive and running at me, I'll shoot first and ask questions later.

cscitney87

imported post

Diocoles wrote:
I've had german shepards and dobies run at me, I've pulled my weapon and I swear I have never heard a dog owner tell them down as fast as those times.

If they had not, they would have had dead animals. I agree, the leash laws are important for both the animal and the humans involved.

I love animals, but if they are acting agressive and running at me, I'll shoot first and ask questions later.
Bingo.
[line]
And for you, Virginian, I didn't say ANY dog. I said Pit, Husky, or Lab. In other words, a large canine. Would I shoot a little Mexican yippie dog? Nope. Would I shoot a mini poodle? No. Would I shoot a lap dog, incapable of killing a human? No.

You know what I'm talking about and you still asked "Any" dog. I would not shoot Any dog. I would shoot a large dog. Huskies will rip your throat out. Labs are nice but can be SUPER big and heavy, easily capable of causing severe injury. A pit bull is strong enough to pin you down and rip your neck out as well. A large enough boxer would easily be strong enough to latch onto you and not let go until shot.

cscitney87

imported post

Posting on this OCDO forum is like a broken record. Constantly the same conversations and points to make to different, separate people.. but always the same shit. Dogs.. open vs conceal.. long guns...family members that dont like guns... getting kicked out of places..etc

It's never new.. it's the same old issues. Ugh. Broken record.

Kriegsammler

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
And for you, Virginian, I didn't say ANY dog.  I said Pit, Husky, or Lab.  In other words, a large canine.  Would I shoot a little Mexican yippie dog?  Nope.  Would I shoot a mini poodle?  No.  Would I shoot a lap dog, incapable of killing a human?  No.

You know what I'm talking about and you still asked "Any" dog.  I would not shoot Any dog.  I would shoot a large dog.  Huskies will rip your throat out.  Labs are nice but can be SUPER big and heavy, easily capable of causing severe injury.  A pit bull is strong enough to pin you down and rip your neck out as well.  A large enough boxer would easily be strong enough to latch onto you and not let go until shot.

To be clear.. you probably should have said all of the above the first time as "The Virginian" isn't the only one that interpreted your original statement as "any dog"..

Just sayin'

-Adam

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Posting on this OCDO forum is like a broken record. Constantly the same conversations and points to make to different, separate people.. but always the same @#$%. Dogs.. open vs conceal.. long guns...family members that dont like guns... getting kicked out of places..etc

It's never new.. it's the same old issues. Ugh. Broken record.
Yep. New folks come and go. Same old stuff comes up again and again.

This is where a person's commitment to help increase other's knowledge comes into play.

I've probably written the same post about not being able to know for sure whether a cop has genuine RAS at inception about a zillion times. But, I keep on writing it.

I've probably posted a link to the Busted and Prof. Duane videos half a zillion times. But, I keep on putting it up there as a new version of the same old discussion comes up.

Also, sometimes new stuff, or a new angle, or something does come up and even the board veterans learn something new.

cscitney87

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
And for you, Virginian, I didn't say ANY dog. I said Pit, Husky, or Lab. In other words, a large canine.

To be clear.. you probably should have said all of the above the first time as "The Virginian" isn't the only one that interpreted your original statement as "any dog"..

Just sayin'

-Adam
"I don't care if it's a pit or a husky or a lab. If it's unleashed and comes towards me- I'm putting a bullet in it's direction. Leash laws exist for a reason- to protect humans And the pet itself. "

To be clear... you must have had a temporary lapse in mental capacity. By using the nouns pit or husky or lab and then referring to the subject, later, as "it" (it's), I am stating that I would put a bullet in the direction of an unleashed Pit or Husky or Lab. Nothing else more is said there. I further clarify by describing the size of the canine as being large in order to qualify the bullet and shot.

Maybe next time, Adam.

-Charlie

Kriegsammler

imported post

Nice Charlie..

Go straight to resorting to insulting a perfect stranger who wasn't being rude to you at all.

Your interpretation is simply different than others is all I was trying to point out. It's things like this that actually make English such a hard language to learn for non Native speakers.

You can apologise to me at any time for the rudeness.

-Adam

cscitney87

imported post

" as "The Virginian" isn't the only one that interpreted your original statement as "any dog".."

I am sorry that you were unable to understand my perfectly structured sentence. Best of luck to you and your continued experiences with the English language.

Kriegsammler

imported post

Thank you for proving my point.

You resort to attacking me.. instead of successfully attacking my argument.. which really wasn't an "argument" per se.. just an alternate POV.

We can have those in this country last I checked.

Go ahead.. have the last word if you must..

-Adam

cscitney87

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
Thank you for proving my point.

You resort to attacking me.. instead of successfully attacking my argument.. which really wasn't an "argument" per se.. just an alternate POV.

We can have those in this country last I checked.

Go ahead.. have the last word if you must..

-Adam
Okay I will have the last word.. I never attacked you. IF you perceive my statements as attacks, so be it. That's simply Your Point Of View. :)