• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun left in hotel under pillow

mahkagari

imported post

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7484257

This is disturbing on a several levels. Firstly, who values their weapon so little to leave it behind in a hotel? But more importantly, DEAR GODS ABOVE DON'T THESE PEOPLE CHANGE THEIR SHEETS????

I saw the story locally on Fox 31. Haven't been able to find it on their site. Zappolo did the report and it was Weaver who said, "They obviously didn't change the sheets between guests." Zappolo quipped, "Yeah, that's the least of their worries."

Ummm...EW! Frickin' EW!!! No, Ron, I think that's going to be the top of my worries from now on, thank you very much! Being so irresponsible for your own weapon is reprehensible just on a personal property level. It's worrisome to think the kid might have found it first and not been taught gun safety and thought it was a toy. But the oddsofthat happeningcommonly are pretty low. What's much higher is that thishotel (and surely, many many many others) regularly leave the same sheets between guests communicating lice, ticks, and gods know WHAT ELSE, um, yeah that's TOP of my worries now!!!

Everytime we go to a hotel, the first thing my wife does is strip the bedsrpead and stuff it in the closet because those things NEVER get washed. Now I get to worry about the frickin' sheets??? Yeah, I'm gonna worry about that ALOT more than the off chance an idiot previous guest left a gun in the room.

cscitney87

imported post

If you have ever owned a Kirby vacuum cleaner..

The bed is completely inundated with dead skin cells. A 5 minute vacuum job with a Kirby and you'll have over 5 pounds of solid dead skin left in your bag. This is very disturbing indeed. So disgusting.. I would rather sleep out in my chevy blazer for the night.

CO-Joe

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
"They obviously didn't change the sheets between guests." Zappolo quipped, "Yeah, that's the least of their worries."
That's funny. I'd worry more about the sheets than a stupid inanimate gun. Ick. Bed bugs are a freaking epidemic at hotels too.

I think on my next trip where I stay at a hotel, I'm gonna take a hammock along.

Beau

imported post

People leave things behind all the time when they travel. You would think a firearm wouldn't be one of those things that are easily forgotten though.

As far as hotel beds there are a few things you can do.

Travel with your own sheet set.

Travel with own sleeping bag and pillow.

Strip the sheets and call the front desk for new ones.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

I spent 15 years sleeping in hotels about 5.5 days out of the week. I was lucky to only meet bedbugs once, thankfully.

On the other hand, for a short period I had to carry a UV light with me for work purposes and made the mistake of turning in on in a darkened hotel room. I will Never Ever, leave the bedspread on a bed, nor even lay atop one. Floors, walls, tv.. all showed evidence of "protein deposits".

The best thing you can do for your fellow traveler who will have the hotel room after you is ..... strip the bed on your way out and leave the sheets and pillowcase on the floor. It's less trouble for housekeeping to put new sheets on than to pick up and smooth out the old ones.

mahkagari

imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
The best thing you can do for your fellow traveler who will have the hotel room after you is ..... strip the bed on your way out and leave the sheets and pillowcase on the floor. It's less trouble for housekeeping to put new sheets on than to pick up and smooth out the old ones.
Now, THERE is a movement OCers should sponsor!

rscottie

imported post

I wonder what the old lady was crying about? If she and the parents have done a proper job of teaching their children, finding a gun should be no worry.

I have taught my children that firearms are not toys and will do serious harm to them if they were to play with one. My oldest son has gone shooting with me many times.

I was so happy that my 8 yo little girl, who had shown little interest in guns, asked me when she could go shooting with me! Can anyone say "Cricket" purchase!

She asked me if she could get the "Cricket" in pink. I wasn't sure but know that I've seen small pink .22 single shots somewhere before. She said, "Well, my friend Brook has a pink one so we can ask her dad where he got it!" I would have never guessed she and her friend had even had that conversation.

Her mom thought that this one had not inherited the shooting gene, wrong!! :celebrate

mahkagari

imported post

rscottie wrote:
She asked me if she could get the "Cricket" in pink. I wasn't sure but know that I've seen small pink .22 single shots somewhere before. She said, "Well, my friend Brook has a pink one so we can ask her dad where he got it!" I would have never guessed she and her friend had even had that conversation.
*GUSH!!* Yep, and they even come with pinkoflauge cases:

http://gunholsters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/crickett_rifle_case_pink_camo.jpg

I'll echo the kids and gun safety thing. I can't recall what it was the other day, but we were at a friend's or something and my 5yo daughter asked if she could play with some gun toy. I said yes and she said, "Because we know these ones are toys, right?" I smiled and said, "Yes, but you still don't point it anyone." She replied, "I know. I won't."

It's nice when they DO listen when it counts.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Isn't there a law which requires hotels to change their sheets between guests? Isn't there a law which requires people not to freak out when they encounter a dangerous tool?

Heaven help this family should they ever encounter a kitchen knife!!! :what: