• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer robbed at gun point ... did OC make him a target?

Michigander

imported post

It was only a matter of time until it actually happened. I'll hold any judgment unless further details are available.

scot623

imported post

Michigander wrote:
It was only a matter of time until it actually happened. I'll hold any judgment unless further details are available.

Agreed. The more people who OC only increases the odds. Not gonna change my opinion of OC.

CharleyMarbles

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Not enough details... however just BC you OC does not mean you can go out without situational awareness...
Couldn't agree more!!! Some people get the gun straped on and think they are automaticly immune to the Bad guys. This just goes to prove the fact that the gun is a TOOL and without proper training it is not a very effective tool :)

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed the "guy with the gun" gunpoint. Police say the suspect struggled with the holster so the victim helped him get his own gun and the criminal now at two guns.

Nice proofing from the news station! Man what a bad situation all around.:uhoh:

Slugslinger

imported post

The MI Self Defense Act PA 309 of 7.18.2006 says that if you feel imminent harm may come to you or others, you do not have to retreat and that you can use deadly force.

A little bit of training sure could have gone a long long way.

Go shoot that gun man! Get used to that loud popping sound! It's great for deterring BG's. I'll bet the BG didn't even see his piece 'till that yuppies hands were up.

meeooooow!

I wish that BG would try to rob me!!!!!!!!!

Peace be with you and be with your piece!..........................or without it hehe

DanM

imported post

CrimDoc wrote:
This was a topic of discussion awhile back ... can OC make one a target? Apparently so . . .
There's no indication that the bad guy in this instance targeted thevictim because hewasarmed. The only thing known at this time is the victim was found to be armed during the course of the robbery. Therefore, it is premature tospeculate that "apparently" OC made him a target.

CrimDoc

imported post

Fair enough ... I suppose ... there are plenty of stupid criminals who "leap before they look".

DanM wrote:
CrimDoc wrote:
This was a topic of discussion awhile back ... can OC make one a target? Apparently so . . .
There's no indication that the bad guy in this instance targeted thevictim because hewasarmed. The only thing known at this time is the victim was found to be armed during the course of the robbery. Therefore, it is premature tospeculate that "apparently" OC made him a target.

LaVere

imported post

I read and reread the story. No where did it say the gun was taken. We maybe can guess it was. Poor writing I would say.

When I open carry. Just for my conveince. It is warm I don't want to add another layer of clothes. And I don't want to wear my shirt outside my pants. That gun is to protect me. Also I have other things to protect my gun. ;) "Dont ask don't tell"

To steal an old phrase.

Is (S)he or Isn't (S)he only his only his gunstore knows forsure.

kryptonian

imported post

trying to imagine how it even happened. how unaware are you? brings up questions - where was he? multiple assailants? day or night? just from the pic i saw he didn't appear to be in premium physical shape (little overweight). not that i'm bagging on a fellow OCer but part of the responsibility is having more than a normal awareness of your surroundings and goalee away any attempts to lose your weapon. the usual arms length rule would apply. came from behind? any other people around? usually not. still had his pistol for the pic so assuming it wasn't taken. maybe it's just me but that how my mind works.

SlowDog

imported post

I would for one say that wasn't him in the pic still with gun. Also, I used to run Milwaukee every day for a year or so and he was in a really bad area. I would leave there late at night and actually saw two different people shot laying out on sidewalk bleeding with people just walking by. One guy was sitting against front of convenience store bleeding pretty bad callin 911 and I got the hell outta there quick. I just love going to those neighborhoods...NOT!!

The Expert

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
I would for one say that wasn't him in the pic still with gun. Also, I used to run Milwaukee every day for a year or so and he was in a really bad area. I would leave there late at night and actually saw two different people shot laying out on sidewalk bleeding with people just walking by. One guy was sitting against front of convenience store bleeding pretty bad callin 911 and I got the hell outta there quick. I just love going to those neighborhoods...NOT!!
That's a freakin horrible story you tell. Kinda reminds me of that one recently where the homeless guy got stabbed and bled out after rescuing a woman who was being assaulted.

Here's the link to that one: http://homelessness.change.org/blog/view/dozens_keep_walking_as_homeless_man_bleeds_to_death