Thread: Political Phone Calls

Post imported post

Don't you just love them? That phone call that arrives just as you put your dinner on the plate, nice and warm, just the way you like it. Usually someone trying to get your opinion on something, trying to raise money for a cause, or the Political Call on behalf of a candidate.

I got one of the "Political Calls" just before my dinner tonite. The caller addressed me by a name I put out in certain places so I can identify the solicitor (I am known by a nickname by all my friends and family) so I knew I was going to dump him real quick. His opening statement was "Hi, I'm (I forget his name) and I'm a Community Organizer for Patty Murray". That was all it took. I couldn't control myself as he used two of the most despised names in my house. "Community Organizer" (remind you of anyone?) and "Patty Murray" (the elf in tennis shoes). I didn't even wait for his pitch. I merely said "You've got to be e'ffin' stupid to be calling THIS house" and hung up.

How about the rest of you out there? Any cute quips or lines you use on these idiots?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

My brother in law will talk to them, let them do there talk, listen, ask questions and on and on for 15 or 20 minutes. And then, he goes " do you have to be 18 to vote?"..... then they hang up on him. I don't have the patience but it is funny.
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

amlevin wrote:
    Don't you just love them? That phone call that arrives just as you put your dinner on the plate, nice and warm, just the way you like it. Usually someone trying to get your opinion on something, trying to raise money for a cause, or the Political Call on behalf of a candidate.

I got one of the "Political Calls" just before my dinner tonite. The caller addressed me by a name I put out in certain places so I can identify the solicitor (I am known by a nickname by all my friends and family) so I knew I was going to dump him real quick. His opening statement was "Hi, I'm (I forget his name) and I'm a Community Organizer for Patty Murray". That was all it took. I couldn't control myself as he used two of the most despised names in my house. "Community Organizer" (remind you of anyone?) and "Patty Murray" (the elf in tennis shoes). I didn't even wait for his pitch. I merely said "You've got to be e'ffin' stupid to be calling THIS house" and hung up.

How about the rest of you out there? Any cute quips or lines you use on these idiots?
    I don't have a landline, and I usually leave my cell phone off. What are these unsolicited phone call things you speak of?
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

They're just doing their job. I just tell them I don't have time.

Post imported post

Caller ID - if I don't recognize it I don't answer it. If it's important, they can leave voicemail. I'll call back if I want to.
    Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. -The Who

Post imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
    Caller ID - if I don't recognize it I don't answer it. If it's important, they can leave voicemail. I'll call back if I want to.
    That, too!

Post imported post

I ak them what color underware they have on, and then set the phone down and walk away while they are still connected. Wait about 5 minutes and then hang up.

Post imported post

One time I got one of those phonecalls. I asked them to hold while I found my wallet.

Turns out my wallet happened to be in a movie theater that I had to sit through an entire movie to get back!

Some people just aren't as patient as I am.

Oh and also: https://donotcall.gov/

Don't know if it will work for political phone calls, but it couldn't hurt.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

Get *60 service. It's a beautiful thing.

Post imported post

killchain wrote:
    One time I got one of those phonecalls. I asked them to hold while I found my wallet.

Turns out my wallet happened to be in a movie theater that I had to sit through an entire movie to get back!

Some people just aren't as patient as I am.

Oh and also: https://donotcall.gov/

Don't know if it will work for political phone calls, but it couldn't hurt.
    If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?
    No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls. However, if you ask a company with which you have an existing business relationship to place your number on its own do-not-call list, it must honor your request. You should keep a record of the date you make the request.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.