• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Political Phone Calls

amlevin

imported post

Don't you just love them? That phone call that arrives just as you put your dinner on the plate, nice and warm, just the way you like it. Usually someone trying to get your opinion on something, trying to raise money for a cause, or the Political Call on behalf of a candidate.

I got one of the "Political Calls" just before my dinner tonite. The caller addressed me by a name I put out in certain places so I can identify the solicitor (I am known by a nickname by all my friends and family) so I knew I was going to dump him real quick. His opening statement was "Hi, I'm (I forget his name) and I'm a Community Organizer for Patty Murray". That was all it took. I couldn't control myself as he used two of the most despised names in my house. "Community Organizer" (remind you of anyone?) and "Patty Murray" (the elf in tennis shoes). I didn't even wait for his pitch. I merely said "You've got to be e'ffin' stupid to be calling THIS house" and hung up.

How about the rest of you out there? Any cute quips or lines you use on these idiots?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My brother in law will talk to them, let them do there talk, listen, ask questions and on and on for 15 or 20 minutes. And then, he goes " do you have to be 18 to vote?"..... then they hang up on him. I don't have the patience but it is funny.

Tawnos

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Don't you just love them? That phone call that arrives just as you put your dinner on the plate, nice and warm, just the way you like it. Usually someone trying to get your opinion on something, trying to raise money for a cause, or the Political Call on behalf of a candidate.

I got one of the "Political Calls" just before my dinner tonite. The caller addressed me by a name I put out in certain places so I can identify the solicitor (I am known by a nickname by all my friends and family) so I knew I was going to dump him real quick. His opening statement was "Hi, I'm (I forget his name) and I'm a Community Organizer for Patty Murray". That was all it took. I couldn't control myself as he used two of the most despised names in my house. "Community Organizer" (remind you of anyone?) and "Patty Murray" (the elf in tennis shoes). I didn't even wait for his pitch. I merely said "You've got to be e'ffin' stupid to be calling THIS house" and hung up.

How about the rest of you out there? Any cute quips or lines you use on these idiots?
I don't have a landline, and I usually leave my cell phone off. What are these unsolicited phone call things you speak of?

Trigger Dr

imported post

I ak them what color underware they have on, and then set the phone down and walk away while they are still connected. Wait about 5 minutes and then hang up.

killchain

imported post

One time I got one of those phonecalls. I asked them to hold while I found my wallet.

Turns out my wallet happened to be in a movie theater that I had to sit through an entire movie to get back!

Some people just aren't as patient as I am.

Oh and also: https://donotcall.gov/

Don't know if it will work for political phone calls, but it couldn't hurt.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

killchain wrote:
One time I got one of those phonecalls. I asked them to hold while I found my wallet.

Turns out my wallet happened to be in a movie theater that I had to sit through an entire movie to get back!

Some people just aren't as patient as I am.

Oh and also: https://donotcall.gov/

Don't know if it will work for political phone calls, but it couldn't hurt.
If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?
No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls. However, if you ask a company with which you have an existing business relationship to place your number on its own do-not-call list, it must honor your request. You should keep a record of the date you make the request.