• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sometimes Open Carry doesn't work

M

McX

imported post

i still stick with my credo;

i see it all crystal clear, so i keep my pistol near,
heart's never full of fear, homey i stay well aware,
of what's going on around me, mother ***** want me dead,
so i put a smile on my face, finish my time here.

open carry works.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Sometimes brakes on cars don't work but we still wear seat belts.

Sometimes Oil blow out preventers don't work but they still drill for oil in the gulf.

Sometimes you can call 911 and the cops will get there when it is too late, but some people still choose to call 911 instead of defending themselves.

I have to wonder how does someone cope with such a decision if their choice costs them the life of a loved one?

I mean, if I have the choice to defend my life and the life of my loved ones and I choose not to do that because the anti gun government has brainwashed me into thinking that I have to rely on the police for protection and one of my loved ones gets killed because of my lame ass lazy American decision then I deserve to be lying in the morgue next to my loved one.

Remember, when seconds count, police are minutes away. Is it worth the life of your loved ones to wait for Police who may not protect you anyway? (Remember Columbine)

If it is that big of a deal to you then CCW.

Captain Nemo

imported post

JG. My post was not to imply that open carry is not worthwhile. It was only intended as a wake up call that, as with all things, it isn't perfect and we should not be lulled into a false sense of never fail security. Beyond that read into what you wish.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Captain Nemo wrote:
JG. My post was not to imply that open carry is not worthwhile. It was only intended as a wake up call that, as with all things, it isn't perfect and we should not be lulled into a false sense of never fail security. Beyond that read into what you wish.
I know, I was just putting that out there to anyone who would be having any doubts on OC. Not including you of course.

MK

imported post

The antis and media may jump all over this report but it still demonstrates a perfect reason as to why someone should carry a firearm.

There are armed bandits out there and I would much rather face one while armed then face one unarmed.

Captain Nemo

imported post

From the sketchy reporting of the article we don't know all the circumstances of the encounter. We don't know if the victim was ambushed or attacked from behind or caught off guard or if he just plain froze. I certainly hope he didn't freeze and end up giving up his firearm to the thug as the article suggests. End up giving the crook two guns instead of one. I hope he wasn't just carrying the gun because it made him feel macho or just because the Attorney General said it was OK or because it was "cool".

There is a lot more to carrying a firearm than just going down to the local gun store and buying a shiny new firearm, a fancy state of the art holster and then strapping it on and strutting around in public like a banty rooster. A hell of a lot more. It doesn't matter if the firearm was carried open or concealed. If that moment of truth comes and you don't have the moral conviction to look another human being in the face and pull your gun and shoot and kill him dead, then you have no business carrying a firearm. You are a danger to yourself and others around you. Carrying a loaded firearm is not a dog and pony show. It is serious business. I don't know if any of you have seen a person's brains splattered all over a wall because he was shot with a large caliber bullet. I have. It makes you get rid of your last meal in a hurry. When all the cards are on the table and push comes to shove if you don't have the guts to use lethal force then these words apply to you. "Don't take your guns to town son." "Don't take your guns to town, Bill." "Don't take your guns to town." Johnny Cash.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Since I was not there & did not have a 1st hand account of the situation, I can't say anything smart azzed. Regardless of if I am home or out and about, my situational awareness level is always on, condition Yellow / orange, constantly looking around taking in any threats. When OC, weapon loaded ready to draw, fight or flee.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

MK wrote:
The antis and media may jump all over this report but it still demonstrates a perfect reason as to why someone should carry a firearm.

There are armed bandits out there and I would much rather face one while armed then face one unarmed.

Precisely

Open carry IS a deterrent. It just doesn't deter ALL crime

Its like a seatbelt. There are people who were in accidents that would have died had they had a seatbelt on... But that doesn't mean seatbelts are a bad idea.

Having said that, with open carry we can predict when its better to open carry and when to conceal.

When you are in a shoulder to shoulder crowd at summerfest, or a sporting event or a concert. Not the place to open-carry but STILL a place I'd want to be armed especially walking back to my car after. Conceal carry is a far better option.

Wisconsin Carry's mission has always been that we believe people have the right to carry in the manner of THEIR choosing based on what suits their needs best. This situation proves it.

B

bhancock

imported post

I'm getting a little miffed about this idea of a criminal being more of a criminal or something if he now has 2 guns instead of one. Will you be more dead if he shoots you with one and then takes out the other and shoots you? To me it is an anti-gun inflammatory remark. I noticed it first in the comments to the JS article, as a slam against OC'ers.

The biggest problem I see is that the criminal now has your tool of defense leaving you a little limited in your options. He is still the same criminal and is no more dangerous than he was with one gun, if that is all the guns he had in the first place. Most likely he will pawn it for cash. If he pawns, he may get caught or the gun may end up in a law abiding hand, or perhaps another non-felon criminal. But we can not simply say the the world is now that much more dangerous because we just gave up a weapon to the criminal.

Criminals will get firearms. Taking them at gunpoint is probably one of the most risky ways they will get them. Good awareness and good security at home will help to keep them from getting them from us and will leave us better able to defend ourselves.

M

McX

imported post

i hate you guys (antis pick up on that one), if it goes to me it's a loss. i'd like insurance where you get a better gun. 'cause boasting proudly; that would have helped in the first place.;)

Tree_Planter

imported post

Carrying a gun doesn't make a person more safe any more than it makes them more intelligent.

If you don't know what you're doing you're still apt to be victimized or asked to leave a business.

hardballer

imported post

I disagree. A single mom with her two year old in her arms crouched next to her bed without a gun is at the mercy of a BG. The same scenario, Gun in her hand. . . I think she is safer.

Out on the street, you are chased to a place of hiding, you have no weapon, they pull you out and beat the livin' sh-- out of you or worse.

The same scenario, you have a gun, you can't hit the broad side of a barn but just the sight of the gun chases the BGs off.

I think you are safer with the gun.

One of my favorite sayings: "God made man, they say, Sam Colt made em' equal, more or less."