• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fourth (?) Annual Burke Lake Park picnic event

What date works for the Burke Lake picnic

• July 17

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • July 18

• July 24

• July 25

• Other (specify in comments)

• Total voters

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It's that time already - time for the annual Burke Lake Park OC picnic. We've had good turnout every year; can we keep it going?

I'm looking at July 17th, with a rain date of July 24? What say you all?

I'll take input until Sunday, June 13th, then announce the date. At that point I'll shamelessly steal the list from last year's announcement and start keeping track of who's bringing what.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

17th would be the only date i can make but Im glad someone has taken the initiative.

nova

imported post

I was just recently thinking about the picnic... :cool:

I have no idea what I'll be doing or where I'll be in July but I'll probably be around and will attend. I don't live far from the park anyways :)

Riana

imported post

The 17th would be a challenge for us (that's the day Kiddo gets home from summer camp) but we could probably do the 18th. The 24th/25th would be better, though.

nova

imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
How much notice does the FCPD aviation unit need to have the chopper ready? :D
It depends on if Tomahawk still has his helicopter lure :lol::cool:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Put me down for bringing chips & dips. Any date is good.

stay safe.

streetdoc

imported post

We are going to be camping at Onslow Beach, Camp Lejune on the 17th & 18th so my half vote is for 24th or 25th, I have a pending trip that may involve those dates also.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Streetdoc:

Make sure you bring your bug spray and 'gator repellant for Onslow beach. ;)

Put us down for cookies for the Burke Lake picnic. 24 or 25 would be better for us, that way I could bring morekids. Sean had a lot of fun last year. Its a long ride, but well worth it to see y'all.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

About what time again? The time makes a difference in if I can make it or not.. I work untill 2:00pm on weekends...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

joeamt wrote:
About what time again? The time makes a difference in if I can make it or not.. I work untill 2:00pm on weekends...
Joe, the past few years we've gotten there between 10-12 am, been eating by 1 or so, and packed up between 3 and 4. One volunteer usually has to get there early to snag a few tables.

But there should be time for you to come by, anyway. We can save you a bite.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Can't someone reserve an area in advance? Last year, the area VERY close to our own was reserved in advance and affected our parking area, forcing us into a pretty small area. Could we try to get a larger space or 2 adjoining areas?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Can't someone reserve an area in advance? Last year, the area VERY close to our own was reserved in advance and affected our parking area, forcing us into a pretty small area. Could we try to get a larger space or 2 adjoining areas?
The tables near us were reserved by possession. That particular area is not "reservable" except to show up. They got there before we did -- and though they ended up not using most of their area, it was staked out and they kept it staked out all day (hmmmmm......)

In general, it seems to have been the sense of the group that we want that particular area, since that was the location of the events that started the annual nature of the picnic.

Areas that do take reservations cost $$. Do we want to do that? I'm partial to the "original location" idea, but open to others.