Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomah Police Waiting For Me Outside of Aldi

Post imported post

When I was leaving Tomah Aldi today, two police officers were outside waiting for me. They asked me not to put my hand near my gun. And told me that I was within my rights to open carry. The officer was very professional and smiled as we exchange talk. I offered my ID to the officer and asked if he wanted me to get my ID or did he want to do that himself. He opted to get it out, call in my name and DOB, then put it back. The Lt attempted to inform me about the open carry limitations I have when open carrying. I told him about the correct five places that I can't carry and offered them a pamphlet. They declined. The Lt. asked me why he recognized my name. I told him of an ongoing investigation in which I was a witness and that is why I carry. The officer told me that we are one of two states that doesn't have Concealed Carry. And that he hoped it would come soon. I fumbled with my voice recorder because of my nerves and only recorded half of the exchange. After we were done talking, my son and I put the groceries in the Jeep and went to Walmart. While we were putting the groceries in the Jeep I was able to wind down from the nervous situation. The rest of the day I felt awesome. I had my first exchange with the police and everything went great. I need to practice with the voice recorder for next time.

Now I have this reporter trying to interview me about the incident. I don't know what to do. I have a private message in to a valued open carry friend for some guidance.

Post imported post

Good to hear. Sounds like all went well.
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

Post imported post

Packer fan wrote:
    Good to hear. Sounds like all went well.
    why were the police waiting for you ? when are you going to be on the news talking about how the police were attempting to intimidate you ?
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

I wouldn't talk to the press at this point!

You are stopped by LEO, and the press is already on it?????

How? Who called the police? Who called the press?

I would submit an Open Records request first, find out who called the police. Find out HOW the press got onto this so quickly and then still not want my face on the news if I thought I was in danger because of a crime I witnessed.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

kd6sxa wrote:
    I offered my ID to the officer
    Clearly a consensual stop. All done.

McX

Post imported post

at least you were treated with some courtesy, and the police knew you had rights of carry. i wouldn't talk to anyone from the press, and as BnH said; a review of what triggered this encounter is in order.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    at least you were treated with some courtesy, and the police knew you had rights of carry. i wouldn't talk to anyone from the press, and as BnH said; a review of what triggered this encounter is in order.
    +1

Post imported post

I grew up in Tomah and I know an officer there who was in my class. It must not have been him because he would probably try to be all tough and everything. Or maybe that's only to the people that he knows, like he's trying to get back at them since people didn't like him in high school lol.

Glad to hear everything went alright. Sounds like the Tomah police know about OC and I shouldn't be worried to carry there.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Banned

Post imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:

I would submit an Open Records request first, find out who called the police. Find out HOW the press got onto this so quickly and then still not want my face on the news if I thought I was in danger because of a crime I witnessed.
    This has been my point in some of these other incidents. We need to file ORR on these cops stops as soon asap. There may very well be some group behind these stops such as WAVE or some other liberal organization who is doing nothing more than trying to intimidate OCers and using the police as a tool.

So far this could be the 3rd such incident in the last month. Possibly the 4th if we include the guy in Sheboygan Falls.

Post imported post

I start my voice recorder before I get out of the vehicle to holster up. IF nothing notable happened, I just delete the file. I that now cuz when stress@level goes up, I forget to turn it on. Also, if they see you turn it on, then they act differen tly.

bhancock

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
    bnhcomputing wrote:

This has been my point in some of these other incidents. We need to file ORR on these cops stops as soon asap. There may very well be some group behind these stops such as WAVE or some other liberal organization who is doing nothing more than trying to intimidate OCers and using the police as a tool.

So far this could be the 3rd such incident in the last month. Possibly the 4th if we include the guy in Sheboygan Falls.
    Would it be a benefit to our cause for several members to file ORR? Would this send the message to the agencies that we are aware of our rights and that we are watching that they afford those rights accordingly?

I like the image left for the general public that you were not disarmed during the exchange. It would have been nice for the officer to let you produce your ID since you offered it. Were the officers like parked in front of the door with lights responding, or had they parked and were just hanging about waiting for you to exit? There is a chance that the press picked up a MWG call on a scanner, Tomah is a pretty small town and I can just see some newsy sitting by a scanner waiting for a break.

I would definitely follow BNH's advice on the ORR and News informant before making a statement. I would likely not do an interview ecause for me it is too easy to get caught up in thier word traps. I would prepare a statement and have it peer reviewed before releasing it to them.

Post imported post

I will not do the interview. Yikes. I am glad to have all the advice. I have to do some searching and find out how to request the record for this stop.

Post imported post

Thanks Paul.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote: More stringent than the law requires.

Here is the layperson's guide

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dls/OMPR/...ec_Outline.pdf 69 pages 670 KB

All of the legal requirements are in Wisc. Stats. Ch. 19. In a word, a plain English oral request is adequate except when demanding the District Attorney enforce Ch. 19.

bhancock

Post imported post

Doug, double check the link, it doesn't seem to work for me.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Post imported post

For some reason his link has a space at the end which causes it to not open. Try this:

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dls/OMPR/...ec_Outline.pdf

bhancock

Post imported post

Yup, link works well now.

Post imported post

I sent the FOI request shortly after reading the OP.

Post imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
    Sorry for the inconvenience, but I am not familiar with your acronyms. FOI and OP?

Post imported post

Five Places you cannot OC? I can come up with lots but not five "rule of thumb" places I will say.

School Zone.

Govt. Building.

Bar or “establishment” w/ class2 liquor license.

County Park, at least in Milwaukee.

AND??

When dealing with LEO, in a more public environment i.e. not at the range or my house, I usually put my right hand under my left arm and my left hand near my mouth/ chin and give them the “puzzled look” before they can tell me to keep my hand away from my gun. I feel it gives “them” the been there did it done it got the T-shirt impression, but that’s me.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

kd6sxa wrote:
    bnhcomputing wrote:
    Sorry for the inconvenience, but I am not familiar with your acronyms. FOI and OP?
    FOI(A): Freedom Of Information Act

OP: Original Post, or Original Poster; You.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
    FOI == Freedom of Information i.e. Open Records Request.

OP == Original Post OR Original Poster.

Post imported post

FLR72 wrote:
    Five Places you cannot OC? I can come up with lots but not five "rule of thumb" places I will say.

School Zone.

Govt. Building.

Bar or “establishment” w/ class2 liquor license.

County Park, at least in Milwaukee.

AND??

When dealing with LEO, in a more public environment i.e. not at the range or my house, I usually put my right hand under my left arm and my left hand near my mouth/ chin and give them the “puzzled look” before they can tell me to keep my hand away from my gun. I feel it gives “them” the been there did it done it got the T-shirt impression, but that’s me.

School Zone

Government building

Place that serves alcohol for consumption on premises

State Park

Vehicle

Pretty sure that's the five.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

Wow, that was like a rapid fire posting contest right there......LOL