• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question

Gunslinger357

imported post

I'm a bit confused on the open carry law for Colorado. Colorado law states that anyone 18 and over can carry openly. However you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a certified store. Apparently private sales are not limited to 21 years but can actually be sold to 18 or over years. If someone wants to open carry, they have to privately purchase a handgun. How does a private purchase work? Is any paperwork involved in the transfer of a handgun? Thanks to any replies I get!

AL Ranger

imported post

You have to be 21 to purchase but not to borrow. An 18 yr old can use Dad's gun, the gun of a friend, etc. and still OC. Just as long as it was borrowed legally or legally given to him/her as a gift, it shouldn't be a problem. If they stole it or borrowed "without permission" then you're talking about a whole different set of circumstances.