• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Walmart in Olathe

liveandlearn

imported post

Just FYI everyone, I was asked to leave Walmart on K7 and 135th/Santa Fe this morning at 1am because I was open carrying. I was told that only police officers can carry in any walmart store. I told them I didn't see any signs at the door.
I told them I would not shop here or at any walmart again until this was resolved (I've been looking for a good excuse anyway...)

Just wanted to give everyone the heads up that their money isn't any good if you want to express the legal right you have.

I emailed a complaint to Walmart, I'll update if anything important comes of it, which I doubt.

zekester

imported post

Walmart has been beat to death....but here you go.

Walmart
Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.
Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
(1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
702 SW 8th Street
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Email contact link:
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Audio of Walmart Policy: Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.mp3

liveandlearn

imported post

Update: Walmart off 135th and Blackbob welcomes my business. Talked to the assistant manager today, Richard, who was very helpful and friendly.
"Walmart's policy is to follow whatever the local and state laws are regarding open carry of firearms unless a guest feels directly threatened by actions" etc etc etc.

Guess they get my business from now on.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I lived in Olathe 135 & Black Bob was my daily shopper but never made it to the other one most likely a lower case peon not knowing what there policy is. usally if you talk to the mgr and get it all squared away

K

KansasScout

very interesting! One does, the other does not. In each Wal-Mart the Store Mgr is god and can do what he wants to a point. Personally, I hate wal-mart and avoid them as much as I can having done business with them. Jerks.

Dark_Horse

With Walmart the key is to file complaints at the corporate level, once a store has somany complaints on file the corporate office will send a team to audit the store. So if Walmart policy is to follow local law and they are not then the Manager can get there butt in a sling with Corporate.

RollinCode03

Walmart

I was in Gardner Walmart and OC. I only had i Individual say anything though he was white and had a 3xl Shirt on and was a gang banger with his 3 kids. Heres what he said. " He's got a gun " And Wal-Mart does not have Door Busters. I've carried in all walmarts in Olathe and never been asked to leave

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
Just posting an FYI, last night the store manager called the police on me at this store. He called in for all associates to be at the front of the store and then Olathe PD shows up. First the officer tells me something a long the lines of they don't want people carrying in firearms in the store. I did not cause any kind of a issue whatever, considering I been open carrying there for a couple years. Last word from the officer was something a long the lines of "do not bring your firearm into this location again". So apparently now I cant conceal carry in this store anymore due to the Olathe PD telling me so, I find this a bit annoying considering one of the officers there asked me why I feel the need to open carry when I have a conceal carry permit.

I told the officer there was no gun buster sign and nobody approached me to tell me they did not want me carrying my firearm in there. I felt he acted a bit "I'm better than you" type of situation. Anyways he then proceeds to joke to me or being sarcastically horrible to my opinion, he stated "this is not the 1800's blah blah". Over all I am not fired up, but I am more annoyed considering now since they told me to NOT bring my firearm in that location again. Meaning concealed or not concealed, What should I do about this considering now I been marked by the Olathe PD about such a stupid innocent?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Just posting an FYI, last night the store manager called the police on me at this store. He called in for all associates to be at the front of the store and then Olathe PD shows up. First the officer tells me something a long the lines of they don't want people carrying in firearms in the store. I did not cause any kind of a issue whatever, considering I been open carrying there for a couple years. Last word from the officer was something a long the lines of "do not bring your firearm into this location again". So apparently now I cant conceal carry in this store anymore due to the Olathe PD telling me so, I find this a bit annoying considering one of the officers there asked me why I feel the need to open carry when I have a conceal carry permit.

I told the officer there was no gun buster sign and nobody approached me to tell me they did not want me carrying my firearm in there. I felt he acted a bit "I'm better than you" type of situation. Anyways he then proceeds to joke to me or being sarcastically horrible to my opinion, he stated "this is not the 1800's blah blah". Over all I am not fired up, but I am more annoyed considering now since they told me to NOT bring my firearm in that location again. Meaning concealed or not concealed, What should I do about this considering now I been marked by the Olathe PD about such a stupid innocent?

You should immediately write a respectful letter to corporate. This manager deserves to be fired. This is the same start of a chain of events that have killed legally armed citizens like Erik Scott (Costco in Las Vegas two years ago.) And unlike Costco, Wal-Mart's corporate policy is on the side of the armed citizen.

Were you ever actually asked to leave by the store management?

In your state, is a "don't bring a firearm in here again" legally the same as a trespass if you do?

Another letter should be sent to the police department with all the details and asking if policemen have authority to act on personal opinions and intimidate with same.

Did you receive any kind of official warning in writing?

JoeSparky

Centurion
Write your letters to WALMART Corporate and Local. FOIA the call info from the Olathe PD BEFORE you write your letter to them. IF the officer was acting or claiming to act on request of walmart management then let that guide your followup but If it is clear the the officer or officer's were acting on their OWN initiative after getting the call then let that guide your actions.

DWCook

Activist Member
I was not asked to leave, the police showed up before I was even was approached. The store manager just called the police and they approached me. I been carrying openly at that location for two years, and they didn't even ask me if I could take my firearm to the car. Never was given chance pretty much, out of all the years I'm highly annoyed with the situation.

kcgunfan

Where is the audio recording?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

MKEgal

In some places, a store manager can use police as his personal notification service to tell a customer not to return (or to leave), whether or not that customer had been personally notified by said manager or minion.

So do your FOIA for the phone call, all documentation relating to that call, all audio &/or video relating to the incident from any device worn or held by the officer or in/on the squad car... see if the manager did indeed ask the officer to trespass you.

Definitely bring this to the attention of corporate!
And I'd suggest having a couple people proofread whatever email/letter you send. Like it or not, proper language usage makes a better impression. They're more likely to take you seriously.

I'm curious about the "all associates to the front" thing. Is that some sort of internal notification that there's a bad actor in the store? So how do they notify customers to get out of harm's way??

DWCook

Activist Member
I'm still working on getting some more information and such. Apparently after I called to speak to another manager, I am now being told a customer called the police and the co-manager made the decision to tell me I can't carry my firearm in the store. This also still includes concealed or open carry, so now I am in the process of speaking with corporate and the store to clear the air so that I can at least carry concealed without getting crap from Olathe PD. The conversation during my speaking with the police is also going to be deal with as I felt his comments and the other officers remarks were a bit much.

DWCook

Activist Member
So I will meeting with the store manager tomorrow afternoon as he left me message stating the store follows the law as OC and conceal carry is allowed in the Olathe store. I will most likely be getting a letter with his signature and be giving it to Olathe PD. The message he left on my phone was stating he apologizes for the issues and stated that I did nothing wrong. This is sounding like its going to turn out quite well, hopefully everything goes back to normal. I will hope I can get this back to where it used to be, so in later future the police will know that I am authorized by the store manager without being asked to leave.

papa bear

you can tell the LEOs to go pound sand. if it is not illegal to OC in you state then you are good to go. and also they have no authority on private property they have to go by what the store manager tells them. keep your recorder going and you might want to watch a few videos on you tube about how to handle LE

DWCook

Activist Member
Well hoping the store manager gives me the go ahead clearance on OC inside the store I will just get a letter signed by him and give it to the department. If they have a issue I will show the original and they will have the copy of it obviously. But by Wally world policy, it is legal and okay to OC considering they have nothing that states it other wise. The fact the police told me to not bring my firearm into this location again, I will just make a personal visit to the station giving them a copy of the letter signed by the store manager who makes the decisions. If they don't like it, they can complain to the store manager who seems for carrying of firearms just from his short explanation and apology with the voice mail he left.

DWCook

Activist Member
Situation has been resolved at the Wally World and "Bruce" the store manager has insured to me that I can OC or conceal carry in his store with no problems. He stated to me he plays poker with the local PD and said he will let them know that the issue was resolved. He told me himself if any issues arise that he will back me up if it concerns with me just carrying in the store in general, awesome guy and had a great conversation with him about past and present stuff. He stated that a customer called the police and he went through and spoke with his entire management members and spoke to them about the carrying laws, and gun laws in general to insure this incident will not occur again. Over all GREAT turnout and awesome guy to talk to as he said hes a life time NRA member and a CCL carrier too. He's as much into firearms as most of us are on here, this makes it even better as he can relate. He's a pro carrier and has no issues with people coming in with it open carried or concealed. He also asked a what if situation and said if a mad man came in with a gun about to hurt people with it and we were the only ones carrying we could possibly end the situation with little to no harm. In short hes a firm believer in carrying and from our conversation he has no issue with using his gun if need arise'd.

Not sure what most of you all will say on the "what if" situation as there was a past shooting where a guy went in with an assault rifle and killed several people, I think in Pen? But he basically meant if the situation came to play and he had to use his weapon, he has no problem defending his own life or others. Like I said, great guy and he can relate to people who carry and understands how situations can get out of hand with people who do not understand something.

Last edited: