• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defensive training or martial arts

Have you taken any martial art or self defence system training.

• NO- Never thought about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zack991

imported post

Another thread on here that recentlyposted a great question, which asked have we ever thought of what we would need to do to prevent a person from grabbing our firearm from us in or out of the holster. There have been countless what if tactical wet dreams on here that we think of these magical firefights where we turn out to be these special force bad asses. Yet in reality a very large majority of us have not done any real additional training to better ourselves, now I am not saying we all have to sign up for Q course or anything like that.

My question is since most here Open carry daily or Conceal Carry daily, has anyone here done anyADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL firearms training or defensive training other thensay the required conceal carry class. We all talk about what ifs, but what are we doing to actually better ourselves for that time we hope never happens.

I myself have had the military training and continue to receive as well have taken several months of Krav Maga. I would have loved to have taken more classes in it, but anyone who has been military knows there is little personal time in war time. I am far from anything you wouldever call an expert on it, but i feel better knowing whati do know and can do. I would still like to continue it too keep it fresh in my mind as well as to keep me sharp, whenever I can get the time and money for it again.

So what has other members done to help protect their firearms and their families? I am still constantly learning new things thatI can do to better myself; I would hope others are as well. I am not saying we all need to be like Rambo, but I think we would be more confident and ready with additional training, not just the basic safety training.

xmanhockey7

imported post

I do martial arts training but not through any of them. There are a couple cops who do it at the same place I do.

Kirbinator

imported post

YES- In the military. Nope, never been in the military.
YES- In police Department.
Nope, never been a LEO, don't plan on being one.
YES- Firearms training IE:Front Site.
Never took a class on guns.
NO- Don't feel the need too.

NO- Never thought about it.

NO- Not sure what to sign up for.

In short, you don't believe that anyone should train in martial arts unless a cop, LEO, or a commercial shooting school teaches it. I've had two years of private instruction in Aikido. There is no option that allows me to vote that I have had self-defense training using something other than a firearm. Do you see the problem here?

zack991

imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
YES- In the military. Nope, never been in the military.
YES- In police Department.
Nope, never been a LEO, don't plan on being one.
YES- Firearms training IE:Front Site.
Never took a class on guns.
NO- Don't feel the need too.

NO- Never thought about it.

NO- Not sure what to sign up for.

In short, you don't believe that anyone should train in martial arts unless a cop, LEO, or a commercial shooting school teaches it. I've had two years of private instruction in Aikido. There is no option that allows me to vote that I have had self-defense training using something other than a firearm. Do you see the problem here?
Sorry it was one that just slipped my mind at 4am when i did it, Sorry about it I do no intend that saying you cant get good schooling else where. It just slipped my mind.

Michigander

imported post

I don't generally like to blab about who I've practiced with, doesn't mean much to everyone else, and it often just ends up being a dick swinging contest. (No offense intended towards those who disagree, just how I feel about running my mouth).

What I will say is that I am not a combat veteran, but I know a number of people who are. For example, a retired marine vietnam veteran I know who has been into guns since childhood had a comment I thought was interesting.

He said more or less said that if you study and understand the concepts of combat pistol techniques, and routinely apply them in range practice, and hopefully with simunitions to get that high speed stress going, that IS training, useful training too, regardless of whether or not you have some professional instructor with you. If you hang out around the gun nut crowd, you will get plenty of good critiques on your technique, and not just the potentially slanted opinions of a few instructors.

I don't want to say much more on the matter, even though I have my fair share of biased opinions, because again, I never was in a life and death fight with a 2 legged attacker, and plus, everyone has different levels of knowledge and functional fitness, so a lot of it will come down to perceived personal needs.

USMC1911

Military, Private, whatever, what matters is that you PRACTISE! Practise often, does no good to get a 1, 2 or 5 day class if you never use/practice it ever again. It has been proven over and over again, if you don't practice, when it counts, you will not do it. Practice until it becomes second nature, you do it without thinking. My .02

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Another thread on here that recentlyposted a great question, which asked have we ever thought of what we would need to do to prevent a person from grabbing our firearm from us in or out of the holster. There have been countless what if tactical wet dreams on here that we think of these magical firefights where we turn out to be these special force bad asses. Yet in reality a very large majority of us have not done any real additional training to better ourselves, now I am not saying we all have to sign up for Q course or anything like that.

My question is since most here Open carry daily or Conceal Carry daily, has anyone here done anyADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL firearms training or defensive training other thensay the required conceal carry class. We all talk about what ifs, but what are we doing to actually better ourselves for that time we hope never happens.

I myself have had the military training and continue to receive as well have taken several months of Krav Maga. I would have loved to have taken more classes in it, but anyone who has been military knows there is little personal time in war time. I am far from anything you wouldever call an expert on it, but i feel better knowing whati do know and can do. I would still like to continue it too keep it fresh in my mind as well as to keep me sharp, whenever I can get the time and money for it again.

So what has other members done to help protect their firearms and their families? I am still constantly learning new things thatI can do to better myself; I would hope others are as well. I am not saying we all need to be like Rambo, but I think we would be more confident and ready with additional training, not just the basic safety training.

This is pretty much a nonsensical question. If you carry, you should train on weapon retention and how to react to the "gun grab" as well as what to do if BG gets your weapon. Fight like you train. Martial arts is a joke in a ranged gun fight (15ft+)...those fancy techniques aren't going to stop a bullet. Take it from someone that has had military training, participated in some USMC lines training (got my butt kicked several times by Marines in the sand pit, thanks fellas I learned a lot!), PPCT, CLAMP, Aikido, Krav Maga, karambit fighting techniques, spontaneous knife fighting and defense, and quick response baton training...they're all worthless if you're staring down the barrel of a firearm beyond 15 feet.

The key is if BG does the gun grab that you know how to protect, retain, and withdraw so you are capable of situational assessment and a firearm draw if necessary. Of course, the situation will dictate how fast your brain must react to those.

A technique I teach is to rotate at the point that the muzzle clears the holster so you can fire from the hip/ribcage inside 15 feet. Another is from a downed fighter position that allows you to shoot through your holster as a last resort, clearing the trigger enough to pull it. Winter tactics follow the same methodology, being able to react without every actually exposing the firearm.

Last edited: