• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car prowl in Olympia

Semper Paratus

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
About ten years ago a friend of mine had his truck stolen in the middle of the night. For about a week he would drive around Salt lake valley in the evenings to see if he could spot someone driving around in it.

It was about 1 in the morning, he was driving through a neighborhood and happen to see his truck. He chased his truck down, with the perps in it. *strait out of a movie* he cornered the truck down a dead end road. The perps turned the truck around and my friend was at that point standing outside of his car...with a .44 mag. The guys began speeding toward him, my friend fired off a few shots, hitting his truck. The perps drove onto someone lawn, escaped. A couple of blocks down the road that same evening the truck was found. The perps had been driving his truck around and parting it out. The front seat was missing, the perps were sitting on 5 gallon buckets.

My friend received a ticket for discharging a firearm within city limits. The ticket was thrown out after about a year as the wheels of justice slowly turned him out.

He should have just called the police, unfortunately.
vehicular manslaughter is a felony. If he was in fear of getting ran over and killed and had reasonable suspicion that the intent of the thieves was to run himover to escape he would of had justifiable reason to use deadly force.

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

In High school I lived in a bad part of Longview, WA . Well all parts are bad. Anyway, I had a 56 Chevy pickup that I parked in the ally. Bondo and rust held it together and the only thing of value was the chrome on the engine. I tried to use a cable and padlock to hold down the hood with little success. So I replaced the hood latch in the grill with a bracket I welded up. It held five razor blades in a row. Two weekends later I found a whole lot of blood smeared on the hood. That was the last problem I ever had living there. I kept the blood on the hood all summer as a testament. I never did see anyone from the neighborhood bandaged up though. It had to have been bad. Being older now with a bit more to lose. I doubt I'd do it again. But it sure would be tempting.

Metalhead47

imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
In High school I lived in a bad part of Longview, WA . Well all parts are bad. Anyway, I had a 56 Chevy pickup that I parked in the ally. Bondo and rust held it together and the only thing of value was the chrome on the engine. I tried to use a cable and padlock to hold down the hood with little success. So I replaced the hood latch in the grill with a bracket I welded up. It held five razor blades in a row. Two weekends later I found a whole lot of blood smeared on the hood. That was the last problem I ever had living there. I kept the blood on the hood all summer as a testament. I never did see anyone from the neighborhood bandaged up though. It had to have been bad. Being older now with a bit more to lose. I doubt I'd do it again. But it sure would be tempting.
ROFLMFAO

Unfortunately in this day & age you'd probably get sued. :banghead:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Son_of_Perdition wrote:
ROFLMFAO

IANAL, but I'm guessing Reckless Endangerment

RCW 9A.36.050
Reckless endangerment.

(1) A person is guilty of reckless endangerment when he or she recklessly engages in conduct not amounting to drive-by shooting but that creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another person.

(2) Reckless endangerment is a gross misdemeanor.

But if i were on a jury --- not guilty.

Metalhead47

imported post

ak56 wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
Son_of_Perdition wrote:
In High school I lived in a bad part of Longview, WA . Well all parts are bad. Anyway, I had a 56 Chevy pickup that I parked in the ally. Bondo and rust held it together and the only thing of value was the chrome on the engine.  I tried to use a cable and padlock to hold down the hood with little success. So I replaced the hood latch in the grill with a bracket I welded up. It held five razor blades in a row. Two weekends later  I found a whole lot of blood smeared on the hood. That was the last problem I ever had living there. I kept the blood on the hood all summer as a testament. I never did see anyone from the neighborhood bandaged up though. It had to have been bad. Being older now with a bit more to lose. I doubt I'd do it again. But it sure would be tempting.
ROFLMFAO

RCW 9A.36.050
Reckless endangerment. 

(1) A person is guilty of reckless endangerment when he or she recklessly engages in conduct not amounting to drive-by shooting but that creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another person.

*sigh*

whats this country coming to when an honest man cant even boobytrap his own property anymore?

amzbrady

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
ak56 wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
Son_of_Perdition wrote:
ROFLMFAO

RCW 9A.36.050
Reckless endangerment.

*sigh*

whats this country coming to when an honest man cant even boobytrap his own property anymore?
http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2007/09/the-good-news-t.html?cid=82764099

http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/archive/index.php/t-154032.html

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
ak56 wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
Son_of_Perdition wrote:
ROFLMFAO

RCW 9A.36.050
Reckless endangerment.

*sigh*

True that.

Once upon a time. In a place right here. The world made sense, and right was right and wrong was wrong. When we waged war it was...well...WAR! People died, and it was sad. But differences got worked out for good. As kids, if we went sneaking out to dig around Old Man Farmers barn in the middle of the night. And If you got caught. You could expect an A** full of rock salt or bird shot from a shotgun. No law suits. Just a good lesson that if you "F" with other peoples stuff. You could expect a well deserved retaliation. If you were to complain to your Dad or Grandpa you would get a response like "Well, what the hell did you expect to happen boy?"

Now Lawyers and liberals are trying to bubble wrap society. Everything you buy has like four to six warning and disclaimer stickers on it. If you take action against someone that is trying to cause harm to you or your family. let alone you trying to protect what you worked hard for. You might set yourself up to go to prison for harming a perpetrator. How dare you hurt someone trying to kill your family; or looking to rob you blind.

This I think is a mind set many in society place on law abiding people that look to arm themselves in order to ward off an attack by a bad guy. Never mind the deranged meth junky. He's ok. He just needs help. But, Boy you better not hurt him if he comes after you.

Aaron1124

imported post

Any judge who rules in favor of a lawsuit for an individual who was committing an unlawful act, is an idiot. In fact, I believe it should be unlawful to grant a case to someone who was injured while committing, or attempting to commit an unlawful act. It makes absolute zero sense for a burglar to sue a home owner if he cuts his arm on the broken glass after punching through the window.

What has the world come to, anyway? Do judges really rule in favor of these people? I sure hope not..

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Any judge who rules in favor of a lawsuit for an individual who was committing an unlawful act, is an idiot. In fact, I believe it should be unlawful to grant a case to someone who was injured while committing, or attempting to commit an unlawful act. It makes absolute zero sense for a burglar to sue a home owner if he cuts his arm on the broken glass after punching through the window.

What has the world come to, anyway? Do judges really rule in favor of these people? I sure hope not..

Judges are ex Lawyers, make sense now ;)?

I had judges get mad at me simply because I didn't hire a lawyer. Lawyers have their place and there are definately some good ones who fight for the right causes, then there are those who love the complicated sets of laws we have with tons of "gray" area. I think laws and lawsuits involving attractive neglegence should be done away with too. Stop making property owners pay for other peoples actions.

Son_of_Perdition wrote:

As kids, if we went sneaking out to dig around Old Man Farmers barn in the middle of the night. And If you got caught. You could expect an A** full of rock salt or bird shot from a shotgun. No law suits. Just a good lesson that if you "F" with other peoples stuff. You could expect a well deserved retaliation. If you were to complain to your Dad or Grandpa you would get a response like "Well, what the hell did you expect to happen boy?"
Been there done that, you know what hurts worse than the rock salt? The shower/bath later on. And the whipping you get for messing around on someone elses property. It was a lesson well learned......maybe....lol.