• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Illinois

FourSeven

imported post

Hello all. i will be moving down to Illinois here in a few weeks and i wanted to get some help getting the laws straight.

I currently reside in wisconsin and will be moving to Illinois for a job. my location in Illinois will be somewhere around belleville/sparta/marissa. I've tried to get in touch with the law enforcement down there, I've called twice and the deputy has been out or not available. SoonI will also be changing my permanent residence back to Michigan (my real home), asI have to be a Michigan resident (again)for 6 months beforeI can get my concealed weapons permit.

So the question is; as a Michigan resident am i able to possess my firearms and ammunition without having a FOID card? or as a law abiding citizen, am i completely stripped from my 2nd amendment rights?

Ihave read something about the residents ofbordering states with a hunting license can purchase/possess firearms and ammunition in Illinois's, butI haven't been able to find much else about non-residents of Illinois's.

Any help will be appreciated.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

You will need to apply for an FOID card as soon as you establish legal residence here. Without legal residence established you can not get a FOID card. Usually IL DL or ID showing your Illinois address. As long as you are considered a non-resident or within the grace period to apply for a FOID you can play by the same rules applied to the rest of Illinois subjects.

I would normally question your sanity regarding the move, but always welcome another body in the fight for 2A rights in Illinois. At least with an FOID card you can still OC in MI (except for the car) .

FourSeven

imported post

Moving to Illinois isn't exactly what I wanted to do, but I go where the money takes me. I've lived in 2 states, soon to be 3, all three states have their drawbacks, but Illinois is the only one that doesn't have any perks that i know of. In Mchigan you can obtain a concealed weapons permit, but all handguns have to be registered. In Wisconsin, you dont have to register handguns, you can go to gunshows and purchase whatever you want as long as you are of age and a Wisconsin resident. Then there is Illinois; no concealed carry, no gunshows, FOID card.

I'm going down there to visit the area and my new job the 21st, I will stop by the police dept and see what they can tell me.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Move to Missouri side of the border! It's only 5 miles away! :what:

FourSeven

imported post

I've considered getting a place in Missouri, but that would put me either in st.louis (i hate big cities) and that would be over an hour drive each way to and from work every day, or it would put me near the perryvill airport in Missouri, which is still over an hour from where i would be working.

Lively Grove, Il is where i'll be working. if that's the only way i can have my firearms, that may be what i do.

Tribunal Power

imported post

If you're a resident of another state and legally own a gun, then you are treated as though you are a resident with a FOID card. But once you become an Illinois resident, you have to have a FOID just to own one.

The short answer to your question is yes, you are completely stripped of your second ammendment rights.

Missouri is significantly more friendly though. A long commute may be annoying, but it may also be worth it if your passionate about your firearms. If I were you, that's probably what I'd do.

I lived in Illinois until just recently, and I can say with the utmost sincerity that I have no desire to move back, and never will. That place is a prison. o_o'

FourSeven

imported post

i guess another upside to a long commute is the opie and anthony show on xm i can finally listen to for more than 20 minutes.

i will not part with my firearms andi hope to add 4 more to my collection while i am still a wisconsin resident.

junglebob

imported post

FourSeven wrote:
Moving to Illinois isn't exactly what I wanted to do, but I go where the money takes me. I've lived in 2 states, soon to be 3, all three states have their drawbacks, but Illinois is the only one that doesn't have any perks that i know of. In Mchigan you can obtain a concealed weapons permit, but all handguns have to be registered. In Wisconsin, you dont have to register handguns, you can go to gunshows and purchase whatever you want as long as you are of age and a Wisconsin resident. Then there is Illinois; no concealed carry, no gunshows, FOID card.

I'm going down there to visit the area and my new job the 21st, I will stop by the police dept and see what they can tell me.
Belleville has a gun show, but if you want to purchase a long gun you have to come back the next day.

Beretta92FSLady

I really hate to seem like I am hijacking this thread with my questions, but I thought it would be better than starting a whole new thread for everyone to jump through to look over and answer.

I am from Washington state, and have my CC permit--I know that it is no good in Chicago. Am I safe though to bring my sidearm with me while I visit (I will be there for a week or so)? The sidearm will stay in my hotel while I am there. it is just that I am going to Ohio, and Missouri also and I am hoping that I am good to go in both of those states also...maybe not with CC, but with having my sidearm while traveling.

lockman

State Researcher
Short answer is yes your ok.

I really hate to seem like I am hijacking this thread with my questions, but I thought it would be better than starting a whole new thread for everyone to jump through to look over and answer.

I am from Washington state, and have my CC permit--I know that it is no good in Chicago. Am I safe though to bring my sidearm with me while I visit (I will be there for a week or so)? The sidearm will stay in my hotel while I am there. it is just that I am going to Ohio, and Missouri also and I am hoping that I am good to go in both of those states also...maybe not with CC, but with having my sidearm while traveling.

As long as the firearm is unloaded and cased for transport your fine. A hotel or motel room is considered your dwelling and you can load and carry within or on any private property in which you have permission from the owner or agent to do so.

During transport there is no restriction on where the firearm or ammunition has to be stored as long as the gun is cased and unloaded. A loaded magazine in the same case is OK. Illinois Supreme Court has ruled that even the center console of a vehicle is a case as long as in completely encases the gun.

When the McDonald vs Chicago decision gets worked out I believe that most of the local ordinances more restrictive than the state (and most likely many of the state regulations) will be unenforceable. We now have the high ground.

Beretta92FSLady

Thank you for the information. I am going through Ohio and Missouri, but FWIU Illinois, Chicago in particular I was concerned about.

wrightme

Thank you for the information. I am going through Ohio and Missouri, but FWIU Illinois, Chicago in particular I was concerned about.

I would expect that you would be under whatever current restrictions are in place in Chicago itself. It does not look good for you.

http://www.opencarry.org/travel.html

And if you are going through OH and MO, that must be an interesting route you are taking.

1245A Defender

Dont disarm!!

I am sorry, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois. I am just going to leave my sidearm at home.

just get yourself a cheap lock box from harbor freight,,,10 bucks.
unloaded gun in the box, in a duffle bag, on the back seat, = cheap insurance.
most states are gun friendly,
youre to important to your wife and kids,
to be unarmed and vulnerable just because of confused state laws!

wrightme

just get yourself a cheap lock box from harbor freight,,,10 bucks.
unloaded gun in the box, in a duffle bag, on the back seat, = cheap insurance.
most states are gun friendly,
youre to important to your wife and kids,
to be unarmed and vulnerable just because of confused state laws!
For going to Chicago, I would not recommend the course of action that you describe.

Mark (IL)

The new Chicago ordinance (https://portal.chicagopolice.org/po...n-registration-20B-with-offender-registry.pdf) reads in part:

"It shall not be a violation of this chapter if a person transporting a firearm or ammunition while engaged in interstate travel is in compliance with 18USCA para 926A. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that any person within the city for more than 24 hours is not engaged in interstate travel, and is subject to the provisions of this chapter."

which, based on the rest of the ordinance, I read to mean it is unlawful for a nonresident to possess a handgun for more than 24 hours in the city. Violations carry penalties of fines of not less than $1000 nor more than $5000, jail not less than 20 days, nor more than 90. Hotels are specifically excluded from the definition of "home" used in the law, so the exception ("except when in the person's home") won't help.

We're making progress for those of us who are residents, but things are no better (actually worse, with more serious penalties) for nonresidents... IANAL, but it looks like there is no legal way for the OP to possess (and of course not to carry) a handgun in the city for more than 1 day.

lockman

State Researcher
More Garbage

The new Chicago law is even more onerous in general to firearms than the old one. If the old handgun provision was struck down, just wait. The next year or so is going to be very interesting now that the burden of proof to restrict a fundamental right has shifted to the government.

In Chicago carry in compliance with federal transport preemption to be safe unless you intend to add your name to the growing number of plaintiffs doing battle with the city.