• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical Pen

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I have a Cold Steel Shark (which can be seen on the same link posted above). It's about like a thick Sharpie marker. Some of the "tactical pens" are ridiculously priced for what they are. Basically they're employed similarly to a yawara stick. But you can't sign your name with a yawara. I carry a Surefire flashlight much more frequently because it can be used employing yawara techniques, plus a flashlight is useful in more situations-- to see where your going, to locate something, to blind an attacker.

OC4me

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
In light of an OC'er getting disarmed by a bad guy, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a tactical pen.

I missed that thread. Can you provide a link? I've not yet heard of any cases of an OCer being disarmed by a bad guy.

Edited to say: Nevermind. I found that thread. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/45762.html

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
"Elegant, yet bold" and with a list price of $129 it's one of those ridiculously-priced examples I mentioned above. Save your money, buy a length of 3/4 or 1" dowel at the hardware store or lumberyard for a buck or so and saw it into 5-6 inch lengths-- maybe sand the edges slightly-- and you'll have several sticks you can slip into your pocket that will work as effectively as a yawara or kubotan in most situations. Your proficiency will be much more important than the cost of the item you use.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
"Elegant, yet bold" and with a list price of $129 it's one of those ridiculously-priced examples I mentioned above. Save your money, buy a length of 3/4 or 1" dowel at the hardware store or lumberyard for a buck or so and saw it into 5-6 inch lengths-- maybe sand the edges slightly-- and you'll have several sticks you can slip into your pocket that will work as effectively as a yawara or kubotan in most situations. Your proficiency will be much more important than the cost of the item you use.
That's why I mentioned it. I'll stick with my E2D LED Defender.

http://www.surefire.com/E2DL

kd6sxa

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I have a Cold Steel Shark (which can be seen on the same link posted above). It's about like a thick Sharpie marker. Some of the "tactical pens" are ridiculously priced for what they are. Basically they're employed similarly to a yawara stick. But you can't sign your name with a yawara. I carry a Surefire flashlight much more frequently because it can be used employing yawara techniques, plus a flashlight is useful in more situations-- to see where your going, to locate something, to blind an attacker.
I have been taking Shotokan Karate for a month and a half now. I really like the Arnis. I will have to check out the "yawara" with my Shihan.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Kubotans are listed on TSA's list of prohibited items for carry-on luggage, as are all martial arts devices. Tactical pens are really just kubotans designed to look like an ordinary pen. Some have concealed blades in them.

Like all security checkpoints, the strength or weakness of the security is primarily determined by the human operators and their amount of training, experience and motivation. TSA operators are no different than anyone else. You may get a tactical pen past them, or you may not. Why face the confiscation and possible other hassle if they recognize this sort of object? There are other completely legitimate items one can take aboard commercial flights that can be used as an improvised weapon if needed, and that will be at least as effective, if not more effective, than a tactical pen. I always carry my Surefire flashlight aboard a plane. Odds are extremely low that it would ever be needed as a weapon-- there are better odds (although not high) that it would be needed as a flashlight in a smoke-filled plane. Very high odds it will come in handy finding the light switch in the dark hotel room.

A regular sturdy cane or walking stick also is legitimate to have aboard a plane. But given the cramped conditions on many planes, I always settle on the flashlight.

A hairbrush and a conventional ballpoint pen are also legitimate items to have aboard and capable of being pressed into service.