• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in vehicle

Semper Paratus

imported post

I have a WA state CPL. do I need to have my gun visible in a vehicle since ID recognises the WA CPL. My understanding of I.C. §18-3302(9) is that I can keep it loaded and not in plain sight.

DocWalker

imported post

Ok I will try and explain this without confusing either of us.

Concealed carry with a permit in your vehicle is legal as long as you have a valid Idaho or state Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP), Concealed Carry Permit (CCP), or what every your state calls it. If Idaho recognizes the state concealed permit from your state it does not need to be visible, but if your pulled over you might want to give him you concealed permit with your drivers license even though it shows up when he/she runs you DL or Plate.

If you are Open Carrying it must be visible.

That's about it.

None2Slow

imported post

I believe that I read somewhere that it must be visible from at least 2 directions. I'll try to find it and link it here. Edit: Can's seem to find it, but as far as I can tell, your assumption is correct.

[align=left]In Vehicles:
While in any motor vehicle, inside the[/align]
[align=left]limits or confines of any city, a person shall not carry a[/align]
[align=left]concealed weapon on or about his person without a[/align]
[align=left]license to carry a concealed weapon. This shall not[/align]
[align=left]apply to any firearm located in plain view whether it is[/align]
[align=left]loaded or unloaded. A firearm may be concealed legally[/align]
[align=left]in a motor vehicle so long as the weapon is[/align]
disassembled or unloaded.
~ I.C. §18-3302(9)

Hiredgun30

imported post

heres from the idaho law book for title 18 chapter 33...

"where an officer could only see a small portion of the weapon in the defendant's car from one particular vantage point, the weapon was not discernible from normal observation, and the defendant was properly arrested for carrying a concealed weapon .

(idaho vs. Button)

adam m

I'm back!

I lost my username and password, then everything else in life went to poop. I had a Negligent Discharge in my home (noone was injured). Shook my confidance so I quit carrying for a while. I was talking to my buddy about that and he said, "the only reason you had a ND was because you pulled the trigger. If you don't pull the trigger the weapon won't go off." I was under a lot of stress, and thought I cleared it after I got home. Won't EVER make that mistake again, it's the "unloaded weapon" that kills people. So there's my story, back to the original topic!

I am going to Oregon today or tomorrow and I'm going to OC, this post has made it a lot more clear about the "rules" of OCing in a vehicle. But I just want to make sure I understand; if I have the pistol loaded and sitting in the passanger seat it's good. But if I have it loaded and holstered and the seatbelt impedes the officers ability to clearly see the weapon then it's concealed? I want to make sure I understand that right. If the seatbelt, a safty divice required by the state, causes the weapon to be concealed even though it wouldn't be were I not in a vehicle I could still be charged?

To make it more clear, I plan on carrying only on the trip there and back. Last time I went there a dude tried to rob me through my driver side window with a buck knife.

Last edited: