• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry in a vehicle.

Phssthpok

imported post

Loaded, unloaded, encased, exposed, readily accessible, out of reach, open to view, hidden, disassembled, intact, cocked locked and ready-to-rock....it don't matter....as long as you have a valid/recognized permit/license.

:celebrate

40s-and-wfan

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Loaded, unloaded, encased, exposed, readily accessible, out of reach, open to view, hidden, disassembled, intact, cocked locked and ready-to-rock....it don't matter....as long as you have a valid/recognized permit/license.

WRONG.
You do not need a permit to carry a firearm in your vehicle in the state of Montana!!

According to Mr. C. Mark Fowler, Assistant Attorney General for the state of Montana, there are no restrictions as to how you can/cannot carry a firearm in your vehicle. Open-Carry, Concealed-Carry, on your dash, on the seat, hanging from the rear-view mirror or anywhere else, including in a rack in the back window of your pick-up, there are no restrictions.
You can even carry concealed INSIDE YOUR VEHICLE without a permit. The permit is only for concealed carry inside the city limits. You do not need it if you're carrying concealed in your vehicle because the state still views that as an extension of your own private property.

Phssthpok

imported post

40s-and-wfan wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:

WRONG.
You do not need a permit to carry a firearm in your vehicle in the state of Montana!!

According to Mr. C. Mark Fowler, Assistant Attorney General for the state of Montana, there are no restrictions as to how you can/cannot carry a firearm in your vehicle. Open-Carry, Concealed-Carry, on your dash, on the seat, hanging from the rear-view mirror or anywhere else, including in a rack in the back window of your pick-up, there are no restrictions.
You can even carry concealed INSIDE YOUR VEHICLE without a permit. The permit is only for concealed carry inside the city limits. You do not need it if you're carrying concealed in your vehicle because the state still views that as an extension of your own private property.

You are correct... I had briefly conflated Idaho's requirement for a permit to carry CONCEALED in the car (sans permit you are REQUIRED to have it visible in Idaho).

My bad.:banghead:

T

TWG2A

imported post

I moved here from Washington on May 4th.

I LOVE MONTANA!

The only reason someone here looks twice when you carry a firearm is so they can see what you're carrying!

In Western Washington, you're viewed as some kind of freak or radical when you carry. Eastern Washington is a little better, but Montana is far more supportive of our Second Amendment.