• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

courthouse procedure

Semper Paratus

imported post

I carry a CZ-52,( Yes I know it overpenetrates and etc but I have my reasons) I carry one in the chamber hammer down. not cocked. This is a single action gun. If I am going to check it at the courthouse what is the procedure and is there an unloading area?

daddy4count

imported post

correct me if I am wrong, but WA does not make provision for a weapons check at GOV facilities like some states do... so it would be dependent upon the municipality and the courthouse to determine when, if and where you could disarm and check your weapon.

... probably something you want to find out before you walk through the metal detectors...

:what:

Aaron1124

imported post

Semper Paratus wrote:
I carry a CZ-52,( Yes I know it overpenetrates and etc but I have my reasons) I carry one in the chamber hammer down. not cocked. This is a single action gun. If I am going to check it at the courthouse what is the procedure and is there an unloading area?
You don't have to if you don't want to. When I checked my firearm, they didn't care. Infact, they probably don't want you even fiddling around with it at all. Just put it in the lock box unless otherwise instructed. If you are asked to unload it, politely ask them what method they would feel comfortable with.

Aaron1124

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
correct me if I am wrong, but WA does not make provision for a weapons check at GOV facilities like some states do... so it would be dependent upon the municipality and the courthouse to determine when, if and where you could disarm and check your weapon.

... probably something you want to find out before you walk through the metal detectors...

:what:
All courts short of the Washington State Supreme court MUST provide either a lock box, or designated official within the court to keep and safely store your weapon during your visit to the court.

RCW 9.41.300Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

The local judicial authority shall designate and clearly mark those areas where weapons are prohibited, and shall post notices at each entrance to the building of the prohibition against weapons in the restricted areas

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

daddy4count

imported post

All courts short of the Washington State Supreme court MUST provide either a lock box
I have heard this before, and it makes perfect sense to me... but I've never seen an actual statute or law requiring it...

anybody know the RCW ?

Aaron1124

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
All courts short of the Washington State Supreme court MUST provide either a lock box
I have heard this before, and it makes perfect sense to me... but I've never seen an actual statute or law requiring it...

anybody know the RCW ?
I am assuming the entire Washington State Supreme Court is used for court proceedings. I have not found an RCW that singled out the Washington State Supreme Court. Although, I did receive an email from Justice Alexander of Washington State Supreme Court and from a member of the Washington Legislature.

"Dear Mr. Braun:

In response to your e-mail message I can indicate that we do not currently maintain a lockbox for weapons here at the Temple of Justice. We have declined to provide a lock box for the following reasons:

(1) This building is entirely a court facility and, therefore, pursuant to RCW 9.41.300(b) no one should be entering the building with a weapon.
(2) The local legislative authority has not provided the court with a lock box.
(3) The court’s receptionists are not law enforcement officers and, thus, would be uncomfortable handling weapons handed over to them by visitors to the building.

Chief Justice Gerry Alexander
WA State Supreme Court"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[font="Arial, sans-serif"]"Dear Aaron, Thank you for your inquiry. In response to your email, Rep. Upthegrove asked me to work with policy staff of the House Judiciary Committee to answer your question. It appears that the lock box requirement does not apply to the Supreme Court. The law is silent on courts that are not governed by a "local legislative authority." It would apply to counties (superior and district courts) and cities (municipal courts). The law does not distinguish between the Supreme Court and other locations "used in connection with court proceedings." Therefore, it would still be illegal to bring a weapon to the Supreme Court. I hope this is the information you need. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance. Sincerely, _________________________________________ Rachel Smith Legislative Assistant to Rep. Dave Upthegrove"

[font="Arial, sans-serif"]Then, I also received the following email:

[/font]
[/font]

"The WA Supreme Court is not exempt from RCW 9.41.300 and there is a WAC, WAC 236-12-470 that prohibits a person from carrying a firearm on the capitol grounds or into any building located on the capitol grounds, including the WA Supreme Court.

As we discussed, the language of RCW 9.41.300 provides that a person visiting a court with a concealed pistol license shall be provided with a place to store his or her weapon or the court shall designate a person with whom the person can safely leave his or her weapon. I was hoping to provide the constituent with the information regarding with whom he could leave his weapon when visiting the WA Supreme Court. Unfortunately, I was not able to get this information. The WSP has indicated that a person visiting the WA Supreme Court should leave his or her firearm locked in his or her car.

Below is the text of the WAC I mentioned prohibiting weapons on campus.

WAC 236-12-470 Prohibiting access to state capitol buildings and grounds while armed with dangerous weapons or with devices used to disrupt state business.(1) No person shall carry any firearm or other dangerous weapon as described in chapter 9.41 RCW on the state capitol grounds or in any building on the state capitol grounds: Provided, That this regulation shall not apply to duly authorized federal, state, and local law enforcement officers or to any federal, state, and local government employee authorized to carry firearms in the course of their public employment; and: Provided, That a person may carry a firearm in accordance with chapter 9.41 RCW."

daddy4count

imported post

and: Provided, That a person may carry a firearm in accordance with chapter 9.41 RCW.
Um... I'm no lawyer so this is all Greek to me... but doesn't the last sentence pretty much nullify the previous ones?

Or am I reading it wrong... because "carry a firearm in accordance with chapter 9.41" would imply to me that legal carry at the Capital is... legal.

In accordance with 9.41 would be a CPL or open carry, yes?

So nobody can carry a gun on Capital grounds... unless they are a cop, authorized state employee, or have a CPL?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

So nobody can carry a gun on Capital grounds... unless they are a cop, authorized state employee, or have a CPL?
We have carried in the Capitol Building, on the grounds and even carried at one of the legislative session where Washington's Cease Fire head asked the State Patrol officer if they would check all the weapons to see if they were loaded. The officers reply "we have no legal authority to do that."

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
The law regarding the State Capital basically says that you cannot illegally carry a firearm on the property
So you can't do illegal things? Genious! They should pass a law outlawing band robbery then!
Why should bands have more protection than anyone else?:cool:

Aaron1124

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
The law regarding the State Capital basically says that you cannot illegally carry a firearm on the property
Washington State Ferries are also posted "No Illegal Firearms!"...
Same with many public transit vehicles..

Very interesting stuff. I wonder if it's labeled there to try and fool law abiding citizens who may not be aware of what it actually means.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
Washington State Ferries are also posted "No Illegal Firearms!"...
Same with many public transit vehicles..

Very interesting stuff. I wonder if it's labeled there to try and fool law abiding citizens who may not be aware of what it actually means.
Yes and it makes the liberal politicians feel good.

Batousaii

imported post

My wife and I just went to the Kitsap court today to do her passport photo. I was wearing my usual Ruger Vaquero gunslinger rig. I just stuck my head in the door and said "Can i check my gun at the door please?" The gentleman came over and opened the little box, i placed it in, and he took my name and info to ensure it would be returned to the proper owner. After the pictures, they validated me as the signer of the box and arm, and I put My rig back on, holstered the Ruger, and out the door.

- It was just that easy.

;)Bat