• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Legally Carrying Gun (OC) Robbed at Gunpoint

bennor

imported post

This is from Wisconsin which is OC only. Robbed previously, carries gun, gets robbed again. More situational awareness is needed, among other things, probably.

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint
By Melanie Stout
MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.
The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.

Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.

"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."

But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint.

"I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.

The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.

"So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.

The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.

He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

bennor

imported post

Just a wee bit of anti gun spin in that article.... ;)

I did have a good laugh at the one statement ""It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman."

I wonder if she also gets scaredwhen police open carry around her?

Glock2010

imported post

The government should have no say about how someone carries their gun, open or concealed (like it is here in CT) it should be up to the gun owner to use their judgment. There are times when you don't want someone to know you have a gun. If I was a criminal and was about to commit a violent crime, I'd want to take out the guy with the gun first. Or if I were a criminal and needed a gun, mandatory open carry makes finding a target easier. MOC makes these people vulnerable and possibly prevents them from protecting others. We should oppose any law that mandates how someone caries- IMO.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Glock2010 wrote:
The government should have no say about how someone carries their gun, open or concealed (like it is here in CT) it should be up to the gun owner to use their judgment. There are times when you don't want someone to know you have a gun. If I was a criminal and was about to commit a violent crime, I'd want to take out the guy with the gun first. Or if I were a criminal and needed a gun, mandatory open carry makes finding a target easier. MOC makes these people vulnerable and possibly prevents them from protecting others. We should oppose any law that mandates how someone caries- IMO.
It's mostly "friend of a friend" or "If I were a bad guy I'd...." stories we see about this. The most common criminal doing stick-ups is a coward, if he suspects there are less odds going for him than normal he will punk out and go somewhere where the deck is stacked against the victim.

They are pretty stupid, there was a guy in my home town that went into a bank and tried to rob it just down the street from the police station. When he went into the bank he had to pass a sign that said POLICE DEPARTMENT with an arrow - so either he has a huge set of cojones or he's a friggin idiot. I'd bet money on the latter.

http://www.ctpost.com/default/article/Accomplice-arrested-in-bank-robbery-attempt-520719.php

I fully agree with you on the method of carry being left to the carrier. If I were wearing a suit then I would NOT open carry, I don't care how sexy the gun looks, but going about my day to day, if I want to open carry that's up to me, not the sensibilities of people like Shambria Mayham Autman.

Glock2010

imported post

I agree, we shouldn’t base policy on the cowardly irrational fears of the lowest common denominations of our society, maybe these people are afraid of people with tattoos too, or long hair, are we going to have to cover up and where hats to protect their sensibilities?

But there are situations (other than fashion) that I may not want to show all my cards to the criminals, after all we don’t know who among them is carrying, why give them the edge? However I do agree with you that in many, probably most, cases it is a deterrent. I just want the gun owner to be able to decide and not forced into a decision by fear-based legislation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Not sure why this is posted in the Ct forum as it is alleged to have happened in Wisconsin.

There is also no indication from this report what, if anything, was stolen.

Until there is some conformation/cite the OP is worthless.

Yata hey

Rich B

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Not sure why this is posted in the Ct forum as it is alleged to have happened in Wisconsin.

Yata hey
Agreed. It just appears to be anti-gun propaganda to try and get us all fired up. Didn't seem to work at all though...

bennor

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Another news report in which they indicate the man's gun was taken from him by the robber.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/95995449.html
Robber takes gun from man wearing holster
By Ryan Haggerty of the Journal Sentinel
June 9, 2010 |(20) Comments
Milwaukee police are investigating a robbery in which a man took a handgun from another man who was openly carrying the gun in a holster on his hip, a department spokeswoman said Wednesday.

The robbery occurred Friday on a sidewalk in the 7000 block of N. Teutonia Ave., police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said.

The robber approached the 34-year-old victim and asked for a cigarette, Schwartz said. The victim gave the robber a cigarette, but the robber then pointed a handgun at the victim and took the victim's gun from his holster, she said.

No one was injured, Schwartz said.

The robber has not been arrested. Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to call the Police Department's 4th District at (414) 935-7243.
So what your saying is that just because it happened in WI it shouldn't be mentioned here?Is there nothing to be learned from his OC experience? If we can learn from it why not post it here?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bennor wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
So what your saying is that just because it happened in WI it shouldn't be mentioned here?Is there nothing to be learned from his OC experience? If we can learn from it why not post it here?
Multiple postings are discouraged. Otherwise what would be wrong in posting the same thing to all 50 state sub-forums?

That is why everybody is encouraged to use the search function to check for existing postings before starting a new thread.

Excellent thread on the Wisconsin forum with specific and personal details
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=45743&forum_id=57&highlight=man+robbed

This has also been posted to the "General Discussion" forum.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=45970&forum_id=65

Yata hey

bennor

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Multiple postings are discouraged. Otherwise what would be wrong in posting the same thing to all 50 state sub-forums?

That is why everybody is encouraged to use the search function to check for existing postings before starting a new thread.
I didn't see anything mentioning the discouragement of multiple postings of the same story into different forums in the Basic Rules for this site. Perhapsbasic rules for this siteshould be updated to reflect that.

Also not everyone uses the search function or visits other sub forums on this site. Unless one had visited the general discussion forum or the Wisconsin forum, or had searched for it,they would not know about this OC incident unless they had read it on another site (as I did).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bennor wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

I didn't see anything mentioning the discouragement of multiple postings of the same story into different forums in the Basic Rules for this site. Perhapsbasic rules for this siteshould be updated to reflect that.

Also not everyone uses the search function or visits other sub forums on this site. Unless one had visited the general discussion forum or the Wisconsin forum, or had searched for it,they would not know about this OC incident unless they had read it on another site (as I did).
If OCDO rules were written out to cover every possible condition it would resemble a small law library. That has never been John's and Mike's intent - they allow a lot of latitude and ask us to be self-moderating for the most part.

My reply was not made to personally attack you, but rather to suggest that this is what we (other posters) have come to expect regarding multiple postings and using the search function - it is the polite and efficient thing to do.

Think that this is being blown out of proportion. It would have been simpler to have had the advice accepted in the way it was intended.

Yata hey