• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to Disarm at Walmart

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

Hey guys, I was in Baker a couple of days ago; buying some movies with my grandma and minding my own business. I guythat wasn't ina walmart uniform of any sort walks up to me and asks me if I am an LEO. I told him that I was not. He told me that I would have to bring my gun out to my car because he had gotten some complaints from other customers. I told him what the walmart policy is pertaining to Open Carry. I was told that I was in error and that only LEO could carry in the store. I asked to speak with the manager; who took about 15 minutes to come see me. I told him about the situation, and about Walmart's OC policy. He said that he knew the policy, but since they had gotten complaints; they could tell me to disarm. I said alright. I told my grandma I was going over to the Gamestop across the parking lot and hung out there until my grandma was done shopping.

What do you guys make of this?

Slidell Jim

imported post

I have noticed this in a few recent treads (today it's KS, MN, and LA; last week it was OH and OR) that this is becoming common practice at the Walmart stores nation wide. Although, even with the "national policy" they claim to follow, there is always the overriding "private property" policy that they can refuse service to anyone at anytime or ask you to leave (or disarm = even worse IMHO).

Maybe we (OCDO nation-wide) should press Walmart corporate to issue a memo to all their store directors. This might stop a store manager with a discussion with the complaintant rather than seeking out the law abiding citizen in his store. Meaning that, the store manager would tell the complaining sheeple, that "that person over there is a law abiding, and not breaking any of our policies," thusly ending the situation at that point.

Not that this will help the sheeple "feel" any better about our rights. It will however add to the public awareness factor. This is also how I feel E-911 dispatch should handle MWAG calls, IMHO.... but they must "investigate all calls", right!?!? The one call they don't show up for could be the next Luby's.

Our other choices are not much better (ie. boycotts or 2A invasions), as Walmart is in all 50 states and so large that neither will probably change anything. The only other thing I can thing of, is to comply at that time, and return to business as usual the next day (ie. leave if asked to leave, but return to that store to shop again another day). Eventually, the OC movement will gain enough steam, awareness, and positive recognition that the sheeple may see it as commonplace.

zekester

imported post

As long as Walmart "owns" the property, it falls under it's coorporate code, which is to follow State and Local laws.

Yes a manager can ask you to leave, and you should, but you are NOT REQUIRED TO DO SO!

"PEOPLE ARE COMPLANING", then complain that everyone in the store wearing a piece of clothing that is RED...should leave also, becuse it offends me, I am suretheyare communist!! I saw aperson with a mustache and I think he supports HITLER, would you please askhim (or her LOL)to leave!!

Point is, if it is not against the law, then it is DISCRIMINATION.....plain and simple.

Z

4angrybadgers

imported post

zekester wrote:
As long as Walmart "owns" the property, it falls under it's coorporate code, which is to follow State and Local laws.

Yes a manager can ask you to leave, and you should, but you are NOT REQUIRED TO DO SO!
Good luck with that, I suspect you'll end up in handcuffs facing a trespassing charge. Generally speaking, state/local laws allow a private property owner or an "agent" (or a similar term) to ask you to leave the property, so yes, they ARE "following state and local laws". Like it or not, the manager calls the shots at the store as a representative of the company.

zekester

imported post

4angrybadgers wrote:
zekester wrote:

Good luck with that, I suspect you'll end up in handcuffs facing a trespassing charge. Generally speaking, state/local laws allow a private property owner or an "agent" (or a similar term) to ask you to leave the property, so yes, they ARE "following state and local laws". Like it or not, the manager calls the shots at the store as a representative of the company.
You are correct, if a report was filed with the LEO, then you are subject to a trespassing charge, but the fact remains, policy is what it is. The "Manager" does NOT have the authority to overide company poilcy unless a sitituation arises that endangers the customers, a mere complaint, does not constitute this.

imported post

Not necessarily so.
If a gun rights' oriented attorney would check into Louisiana's use of the word "agent," the manager may or may NOT be allowed to speak on behalf of the corporation.
Yes, I know all you pansies wet yourselves at the very thought of being cuffed, but if WalMart has a known, published policy of allowing OC here in LA, they'd sure look stupid trying to convict you for trespassing.
Actually, it would be the reverse. If you can prevail in a CIVIL suit, the damages should INCREASE.

zekester

imported post

I stand corrected.

I guess I was stating that an "private" owned company has the right to tell you to leave and you would be suspect to a trespassing charge..

Walmart had been beat to death on this issue, why it is still a problem is beyond me.

I guess they just want us to go away!!!

Fight the fight....carry responsiblity!!

zekester

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
zekester wrote:
....Point is, if it is not against the law, then it is DISCRIMINATION.....plain and simple.

Although I agree with you.. unfortunately the law does not view gun owners as a protected group like race/religion etc..

-Adam
True again.....time for this to change also!!

55bowtie

imported post

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]DATE: Friday, April 16,1999 2:13 PM[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Subject: RE: Firearms[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Thank you,[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.[/font]

zekester

imported post

55bowtie wrote:
[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]DATE: Friday, April 16,1999 2:13 PM[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Subject: RE: Firearms[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Thank you,[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.[/font]

This is BS...

Walmart has been beat to death....but here you go.

Walmart
Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.
Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
(1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
702 SW 8th Street
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Email contact link:
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Walmart is well known to be neutral on weapons.....there are instances where the so called manager is not aware.

Just search for Walmart on any of this blogs and give it a rest!!!!

Sorry.....I know you had a situation, but its very clear what the policy is.....get a recorder, so we have something to hear different..

Sorry to be so harsh.....but Walmart is a dead issue....sue....or don't go back...

Z

Craw

imported post

The "we are getting complaints" line sure seems to besure win for walmart. Who can prove if there was a complaint or not?

Did they tell you to never do so again? Carry each time you go back.

4angrybadgers

imported post

zekester wrote:
4angrybadgers wrote:
zekester wrote:

You are correct, if a report was filed with the LEO, then you are subject to a trespassing charge, but the fact remains, policy is what it is. The "Manager" does NOT have the authority to overide company poilcy unless a sitituation arises that endangers the customers, a mere complaint, does not constitute this.
You missed my point. State/local law allows a business to ask you to leave for any reason (outside of "protected groups"). When Wal-Mart says "we follow state and local laws", that could be read to also include "we can ask you to leave if we want". It's tricky, but it could be translated as such.

imported post

While state law DOES allow a business to ask you to leave, the hired employees of WalMart may or may not have been delegated that authority to speak on behalf of the corporate owners.
This is but ONE of the many things the OC attorney needs to address, as soon as this site finds one.

Forgot to add the usual disclaimer: Attack of the small minds commences in 3,2,1....
and they didn't disappoint, appeared right on cue, as usual.