• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GOP gubernatorial candidate Mark Neumann criticizes Scott Walker's concealed carry stance

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100610/GPG0101/100610088/Neumann-criticizes-Walker-s-concealed-carry-stance

ASHWAUBENON — One Republican gubernatorial candidates is attacking his opponent on the issue of carrying concealed weapons.

Carrying his grandfather’s rifle in an Austin Straubel International Airport conference room Thursday morning, former U.S. Rep. Mark Neumann of Nashotah took a swipe at Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker on what he characterized as flip-flopping on concealed carry rights. As a state representative, Walker voted no on a bill to make it legal to carry a concealed weapon in Wisconsin, but has said he would sign such a bill into law as governor. However, Walker said he voted against the bill not on its merits but because it was voted on in the middle of the night — at 3:51 a.m. in 2002, according to the Wisconsin State Legislature’s records.
Neumann, who released a new ad attacking Walker on this legislative vote, reiterated what he called his firm commitment to the Second Amendment right to bear arms as it extends to carrying concealed weapons.
“A significant difference is our support of the concealed carry bill — mine has been unwavering,” Neumann said. “To me it’s not just about government policy. It’s about our family and our tradition of hunting.”
Walker, too, is a hunter and his campaign manager Keith Gilkes characterized Neumann’s ad as a “desperate” measure.
“Scott has time and again supported … concealed carry legislation and has said explicitly he will sign it as governor,” Gilkes said in a statement. “What he’s not for is jamming through legislation in the middle of the night that no one has seen and voting on it at 4 a.m.”
Walker and Neumann are both vying to become the Republican candidate in this fall’s gubernatorial election, but the state Republican Party has endorsed Walker.
Current Gov. Jim Doyle, a Democrat, has said he will not run again.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Ah, okay. I was wondering what the hubbub was about earlier today when I got this on Twitter:

Wauwatosa – Representative Scott Gunderson, and former Senator Dave Zien, the original authors of concealed carry legislation, today denounced the lies from the Mark Neumann campaign on Scott Walker’s support for the Second Amendment. 

“Scott Walker has stood strong for the rights of gun owners his entire career and any claims by Mark Neumann to the contrary are complete and utter lies,” said Gunderson. “Scott Walker has also explicitly said he would sign shall issue concealed carry legislation as governor. I denounce the Neumann campaign for the increasingly negative tone of their campaign and for misleading the voters of Wisconsin about Scott Walker’s strong support for the Second Amendment.”
“Gun owners and patriots know Mark Neumann’s attacks are ridiculous,” added Zien. “I’ve been on the front lines with Scott Walker defending the rights of gun owners, including the right to carry. These attacks are hurting Mark Neumann’s credibility. I hope they are coming from his out of state staff and not from Mark.”

I don't care so much if a person flip-flops on an issue if, in the end, they've flopped in the right direction. Now let's see if we can convince him to flip towards unlicensed CC.

M

McX

imported post

brilliant add in paul. read it and adopted it as my credo. we whisper of arizona here.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
McX wrote:
unlicensed oc and cc would be nice.

+1

Add getting rid of GFSZ or at least changing it that it is a modifier only if another crime is committed.
Scot Walker is a strong Proponent of the GFSZ. If I am not mistaken so is Nuemann.

The fact of the matter is there is no reason why Wisconsin can not go directly to Constitutional carry. Why should the taxpayers have to pay for all of the extra legislation going one step at a time, taking years, when it can be done in one step period? History shows in the states that already have Constitutional carry that they could have moved to Constitutional carry to begin with and saved the tax payers a lot of money.

Wisconsin doesn't have permits now so it is not like the state would be missing out on any money at all.

Any candidate that is in favor of Constitutional Carry will get my vote period. The one(s) who isn't/aren't in favor will not.