• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what do you do if you cant carry at work?

.45ACPaddy

imported post

J1Nitro wrote:
what do you do if you are forbidden by company policies to carry your firearm at work?
Do it anyway, unless prohibited by law.

I did for several months. Nobody knew. Since then I've quit that job.

WinchesterModel12

imported post

my work prohibits me from having it on company property in my locked vehicle.

i say screw them and have still have it in my vehicle everyday. i am well within the law.

devildoc5

imported post

see now here is an interesting little conundrum I will soon be facing.

Starting the 21st of this month I will be working at the VA medical center in american lake. It has clearly posted signs at the front gate to the effect of "Firearms prohibited on this property in accordance with federal law" (Not sure on the exact wording)

Does this mean that in my locked vehicle would be violating federal law? Even though it is not breaking state law....

Aaron1124

imported post

devildoc5 wrote:
see now here is an interesting little conundrum I will soon be facing.

Starting the 21st of this month I will be working at the VA medical center in american lake. It has clearly posted signs at the front gate to the effect of "Firearms prohibited on this property in accordance with federal law" (Not sure on the exact wording)

Does this mean that in my locked vehicle would be violating federal law? Even though it is not breaking state law....
What?? VA Medical Center is not a Federal Building, is it? If it's not, then that sign is bogus - unless it means that you can't carry in a manner that is in direct violation of Federal Law.

devildoc5

imported post

Well the thing is it is ahospital...I know as a corpsman no weapons are allowed in the BAS (field hospital) so I am not sure what the official legal federal stance is but it is "technically" a federal base (army base type dealy bob thingamajiger)

Aaron1124

imported post

devildoc5 wrote:
Well the thing is it is ahospital...I know as a corpsman no weapons are allowed in the BAS (field hospital) so I am not sure what the official legal federal stance is but it is "technically" a federal base (army base type dealy bob thingamajiger)
I think it has to do with the fact that it resides on U.S. property, rather than the fact of it being a hospital.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

Great thing about construction....no one gives a spit.....

No matter where I have or would work....I always carried. Concealed of course. Out of sight out of mind. No job is worth not being able to defend yourself.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
Great thing about construction....no one gives a spit.....

No matter where I have or would work....I always carried. Concealed of course. Out of sight out of mind. No job is worth not being able to defend yourself.
I have open carried a few times.

kenshin

imported post

J1Nitro wrote:
what do you do if you are forbidden by company policies to carry your firearm at work?

it seems like a problem, considering they are taking away your method of protection, especially if you rely on public transportation to get to and from your place of employment. Especially for me. I have to take public transportation at 11:00 PM at night, and then early in the morning. Not the best time to go around unarmed in the area I work.
I might be the only one here to say this, but an employer has rights too. If we want others to respect our rights, we have to be respective of theirs as well. ALL rights are important, not just certain ones. One of an employers rights is to determine what's allowed on his/her private property.

It would be like if you were having friends over to your house and they brought along a tarantula, and you were terrified of spiders (sadly, I am). So you have the right to ask them to take the spider off the property. Now wouldn't you be rather pissed if they came back to your house concealing the tarantula :)what:don't ask me how).

While we may not always agree with company policy, by being employed there we agree to follow it. We can however make changes in our lifestyles to satisfy our employers wishes as well as our own.

My company has a policy that allows it to search vehicles parked on company property, so I park across the street. Before anyone jumps on me, yes, I know they have no legal standing to force a search. All I would have to do would be to say no, but they gave me the choice of signing the policy or hitting the road. So now, I am in compliance with company policy and they have no way of attempting a search.

My advice to the OP would be to either find a friend at work that you can stash the pistol in their car before entering company property, not carry to or from work (not ideal), or find another job that doesn't forbid firearms.

And also, if your employer doesn't already have a policy on it, don't give them a reason to make one. In that situation, concealed does mean concealed.

Note: My post is from a moral position and not a legal one.

Metalhead47

imported post

kenshin wrote:
J1Nitro wrote: I might be the only one here to say this, but an employer has rights too. If we want others to respect our rights, we have to be respective of theirs as well. ALL rights are important, not just certain ones. One of an employers rights is to determine what's allowed on his/her private property.

It would be like if you were having friends over to your house and they brought along a tarantula, and you were terrified of spiders (sadly, I am). So you have the right to ask them to take the spider off the property. Now wouldn't you be rather pissed if they came back to your house concealing the tarantula :)what:don't ask me how).

While we may not always agree with company policy, by being employed there we agree to follow it. We can however make changes in our lifestyles to satisfy our employers wishes as well as our own.

My company has a policy that allows it to search vehicles parked on company property, so I park across the street. Before anyone jumps on me, yes, I know they have no legal standing to force a search. All I would have to do would be to say no, but they gave me the choice of signing the policy or hitting the road. So now, I am in compliance with company policy and they have no way of attempting a search.
Certain rights trump others. How bout if your company had a policy preventing from defending yourself in any way, shape, or form if assaulted while on the job or on the property? Do so much as put a hand up to protect from a blow and you're out the door. Would you think such a policy was their right too? My biggest problem with these "no weapons in vehicles" policies is that they also dictate your behavior when off the property, off the clock, and out of uniform! Such policies prevent you from being able to defend yourself even when you're not at work! If abided by, you are disarmed if at any point during your day you will be on company property, even for one minute. Park elsewhere, find a friend, find a new job? Not always possible, or practical. The RKBA to defend yourself is specifically codified in the federal & state constitutions. The right for a company to say what can & can't come onto it's property is not. Personally I think the law they passed not too long ago in Oklahoma is a good compromise, companies cannot prevent employees from keeping weapons in vehicles on the property, and they also cannot be held liable for any misuse of said weapons.

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

kenshin wrote:
...My company has a policy that allows it to search vehicles parked on company property, so I park across the street. Before anyone jumps on me, yes, I know they have no legal standing to force a search. All I would have to do would be to say no, but they gave me the choice of signing the policy or hitting the road. So now, I am in compliance with company policy and they have no way of attempting a search...
I worked at a company with a similar policy. I would have been happy carrying my firearm with me on the drive and then leaving it in the car, but not with that policy. Their policy caused me to go one step further and required me to carry my gun on my person each day.

The points you brought up in your post are quite valid. I can't argue with much of what you have said and I do agree with you. Companies/people/entities have the right to dictate what they allow on their property. It's a tough argument. Let's make a "worst case" scenario... you've been working for a company for 10 or 20 years and you will be unable to find a similar position somewhere else, and they institute a no-weapons policy after that amount of time. Let's add that you work in, or drive through, a dangerous area to get there.

The company could acknowledge your safety concerns and require that all firearms be unloaded on company property. A trulyunloaded gun has never shot anyone (ok, don't get into the whole saying about how tons of people are shot with "unloaded" guns). Or, why don't they implement a policy that any action that is against the law in the state, is also against the law on their property? That would reduce their liability, and that is what they are after.

It is a sticky argument and I don't have the answers. The tarantulaexample does not convey the weight of this issue. I understand what you are saying, but I cannot defend my life with a tarantula.

kenshin

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
How bout if your company had a policy preventing from defending yourself in any way, shape, or form if assaulted while on the job or on the property? Do so much as put a hand up to protect from a blow and you're out the door. Would you think such a policy was their right too?
You're under no obligation to keep working there; Washington is an "at will" employment state. I have a feeling though, that if a company did that they would lose a great portion of their workforce and would be akin to shooting themselves in the foot.

Metalhead47

imported post

kenshin wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
How bout if your company had a policy preventing from defending yourself in any way, shape, or form if assaulted while on the job or on the property? Do so much as put a hand up to protect from a blow and you're out the door. Would you think such a policy was their right too?
You're under no obligation to keep working there; Washington is an "at will" employment state. I have a feeling though, that if a company did that they would lose a great portion of their workforce and would be akin to shooting themselves in the foot.
Not in this economy, I'd call that a kind of economic despotism. And that's exactly the kind of corporate crap that expands the power & influence of unions, and that's the last thing we need. The whole "just find another job" argument is a red herring.

kenshin

imported post

ShooterMcGavin wrote:
Let's make a "worst case" scenario... you've been working for a company for 10 or 20 years and you will be unable to find a similar position somewhere else, and they institute a no-weapons policy after that amount of time. Let's add that you work in, or drive through, a dangerous area to get there.

The company could acknowledge your safety concerns and require that all firearms be unloaded on company property. A trulyunloaded gun has never shot anyone (ok, don't get into the whole saying about how tons of people are shot with "unloaded" guns). Or, why don't they implement a policy that any action that is against the law in the state, is also against the law on their property? That would reduce their liability, and that is what they are after.

It is a sticky argument and I don't have the answers. The tarantulaexample does not convey the weight of this issue. I understand what you are saying, but I cannot defend my life with a tarantula.

Unfortunately in your worst case scenario, being on the job for 10 or even 20 years does not grant any extra job security or privileges. At that point you'd have to make a choice about how to proceed.

I do like your position on contacting the higher ups and trying to work out a deal that acknowledges your safety concerns as well as the liability and best interests of the company. I've done this myself on a couple occasions with my employer.

The tarantula example was just that, an example. If you want, just replace the words tarantula and spider with pistol. Now it's something you can defend your life with.

Aaron1124

imported post

kenshin wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
You're not, but in this economy, it isn't just that easy to just quit your job. There aren't many employers that don't have policies that restrict weapons on property. Hell, one company has a policy that says "The employee can not bring, carry, or possess any weapons on company property, while employed, including personal protection weapons."

kenshin

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Not in this economy, I'd call that a kind of economic despotism. And that's exactly the kind of corporate crap that expands the power & influence of unions, and that's the last thing we need. The whole "just find another job" argument is a red herring.
The current economy has nothing to do with it. Or are you saying that some rights only exist in a depression and then disappear when the economy bounces back?

kenshin

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
kenshin wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
You're not, but in this economy, it isn't just that easy to just quit your job. There aren't many employers that don't have policies that restrict weapons on property. Hell, one company has a policy that says "The employee can not bring, carry, or possess any weapons on company property, while employed, including personal protection weapons."
I completely understand that it sucks and yes it would be difficult to find another job. But if your asking that they should have to give up their rights on their property you'd have to be willing to sacrifice your rights on your property.

To me that's not worth it. My property is my property and my employers property is his. I'm okay with that.

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

kenshin wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:
Let's make a "worst case" scenario... you've been working for a company for 10 or 20 years and you will be unable to find a similar position somewhere else, and they institute a no-weapons policy after that amount of time. Let's add that you work in, or drive through, a dangerous area to get there...
Unfortunately in your worst case scenario, being on the job for 10 or even 20 years does not grant any extra job security or privileges. At that point you'd have to make a choice about how to proceed...
I never said nor implied that anything grants anyone extra security or privileges. My point was that, in my scenario, the decision becomes a real tough choice. Correct me if I am wrong, because I don't want to put words in your mouth. It seems that the simple solution for you is to quit and "make due" with the alternatives. ...even if that means being out of work for a very long time? ...even if you have to downsize your life? ...even if you have to take your children out of a good school and put them into a substandard public school in a bad neighborhood? ...maybe alter your diet, health, health care, etc.?

Or, you would stop carrying? Remember, if you support a family, you carry for them even when they are not around. If you are hurt/killed, it deeply impacts your family. ...and you are in a bad part of town every day for the job you have.

These are honest questions, and I'd like to hear your answer. Maybe you would make all those sacrifices. I won't call you crazy, just different than me.

I am pointing out a worst case scenario, but my example is not totally outrageous.

Metalhead47

imported post

kenshin wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
Not in this economy, I'd call that a kind of economic despotism.  And that's exactly the kind of corporate crap that expands the power & influence of unions, and that's the last thing we need.  The whole "just find another job" argument is a red herring.
The current economy has nothing to do with it. Or are you saying that some rights only exist in a depression and then disappear when the economy bounces back?

I'm saying some rights trump others. In our constitutions, and in the natural law, the right to self defense is supreme.
An employer should no more be able to prevent you from keeping a gun in your vehicle while on the lot than they could prevent you from fighting back against a physical assailant.