• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter with Parker PD

ilovejetnoise777

imported post

I had just gotten off of work. Went home picked up my .45 and while still in uniform went off to Starbuks. At this point I was concealed carrying it. A/C was out at Starbucks so I took off my top and exposed my weapon as I was casually sitting and goofing off on my laptop, relaxing. Received a phone call and decided to take it outside and not bother the people sitting there next to me. I stepped just outside the door and started talking on the phone. No sooner than 10 minutes, I noticed a cop 50 yards to the north radio in something. Casually went on with my phone call, turned around and saw another cop pull in from the south. They both walked towards me and one of them very politely motioned with his hand that he would like to speak to me for a minute. I told my friend I'd call him back in 2.

I can't complain about the treatment whatsoever. They were very polite and courteous. I actually happen to like Parker PD cops.

I said, "Hi, can I help you?"
Officer 1: "You're carrying a .45?"
Me: "Yes"
Officer 1: "Just want to let you know, you're not breaking any laws. Someone around here was concerned and asked us to come check it out. Said there was a man in military fatigues carrying a 45 on his hip."
Me: "Really? Alright."
Officer 2: "Can I see some sort of ID?"
I pulled out my military ID and handed it to him.
He then proceeded to ask me what I do, what rank, blah blah.
Then he told me he was a cop in the Air Force as well, blah blah. Called my information in and said, "I'm just checking to make sure you don't have any outstanding warrants."
I chuckled and thought to myself, "Yes, a guy like me who has an open Top Secret Security Clearance investigation on him could possibly have an outstanding warrant for his arrest."
Officer 1: "Do you have a CCW or something?"
Me: "Yes I do."
He didn't ask to see it but he kind of implied that he'd like to. I knew that I didn't have to show it to him because the circumstance under which they approached me was an OC situation and that already is perfectly legal. But I let him see it anyway.
He looked at it, they both nodded, told me people get freaked out here in Parker and I should probably consider concealing it.
I said well it was concealed when I had my uniform top on but it's fine not concealed as well.
He said, "sorry for taking your time. We have to come out every time they call."
I said, "no biggy."
Then when I went back inside, I saw the dude who presumably called on me and I could tell he was pissed off when the cops presumably told him I was legit and not breaking any laws. The dude was waving his arms in the air in frustration.
I chucked again...and thought to myself, "one person at a time, we will educate people."

The ignorance is mind-boggling though!
Thanks for reading!

Kingfish

imported post

Welcome aboard!!!

I am not one of those types that is gonna say what you should have or I would have done....That said you do realize you did not have to give up ID or answer any questions right? The officers had a right to ask for ID but could not demand it.

At least you weren't disarmed.

The only reason I bring it up is that OC does not require ID. It is like a cop asking to see ID because you had a cell phone in your hand.

S

scubabeme

imported post

Welcome to the forum froma retired USAFSrNCO (Hmmm, wonder if that's why I picked that avatar...).

What's your AFSC? (if they still use that acronym--been retired since '97) Back then I was 45199. (F-16/A-10 Avionics for the curious, and in case things have changed that much)

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Welcome to the boards, and thanks for your service! I had my first run in with the cops at a Starbucks here in Alabama a couple days ago, and it was the same deal. Totally non-chalant, laid-backpolice encounter, theyjust had to check me outbecause some other customer freaked.

Seems like we're making some progress, huh? :)

ilovejetnoise777

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Welcome aboard!!!

I am not one of those types that is gonna say what you should have or I would have done....That said you do realize you did not have to give up ID or answer any questions right?  The officers had a right to ask for ID but could not demand it.

The only reason I bring it up is that OC does not require ID.  It is like a cop asking to see ID because you had a cell phone in your hand.

Hey thanks for the comments. I actually did not know that. But even then, they were being super nice and I know they were just doing their job. Truth is I just wanted them to go away so I could call my friend back.

Maybe part of it is my military training that predisposes me to go along with authorities as opposed to digging my heels in. I'm sure though if I was being treated unfairly, it would have been an entirely different story.

I'm curious how the next one will play out.

ilovejetnoise777

imported post

scubabeme wrote:
Welcome to the forum from a retired USAF SrNCO (Hmmm,  wonder if that's why I picked that avatar...).

What's your AFSC? (if they still use that acronym--been retired since '97)  Back then I was 45199. (F-16/A-10 Avionics for the curious, and in case things have changed that much)

Hey...Avionics huh? You know I can't hear that word enough. Everyday!!

I'm currently 2S0X and work with the maintenance shops: avionics, weapons, electrical, fuels, phase...

However I'm transitioning into 1C6 and thus have an open TS/SCI investigation pending. That's why I find all this "we're checking for warrants" comment so funny. You mean, I can have access to hundreds of millions of dollars of equipment, the flight line and many other restricted areas with an outstanding warrant for my arrest? Yes that makes so much sense, by all means call me in.

ilovejetnoise777

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Welcome aboard!!!

I am not one of those types that is gonna say what you should have or I would have done....That said you do realize you did not have to give up ID or answer any questions right?  The officers had a right to ask for ID but could not demand it.

The only reason I bring it up is that OC does not require ID.  It is like a cop asking to see ID because you had a cell phone in your hand.

I just spoke with a Parker PD officer regarding those other officers asking me for an ID and he said that even though OC is perfectly legal, it's perfectly legal for citizens who are legally allowed to own a weapon. The reason they ask for an ID is so they can make sure that there is nothing that prevents you from legally owning a weapon. That's why you have to provide them with your ID when asked.

This made perfect sense to me.

Gunslinger

imported post

Hopefully the ahole will go back to Kalifornia. Welcome to the forum from a former AF Aviator (F-4s) and current Civilian PM. If you showed him Military ID, I wonder why he asked for your rank; other than that, you went beyond what you're legally obligated to do, but if the cops were polite and respectful, no harm no foul.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

ilovejetnoise777 wrote:
The reason they ask for an ID is so they can make sure that there is nothing that prevents you from legally owning a weapon. That's why you have to provide them with your ID when asked.

So if you're walking down the street with your kids, it's OK for them to demand ID to make sure you aren't legally prevented from being around children?

Or to stop you in your car for the sole purpose of making sure you have a license?

It's exactly the same, and no, they can't do that.

ilovejetnoise777

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Hopefully the ahole will go back to Kalifornia. Welcome to the forum from a former AF Aviator (F-4s) and current Civilian PM. If you showed him Military ID, I wonder why he asked for your rank; other than that, you went beyond what you're legally obligated to do, but if the cops were polite and respectful, no harm no foul.

Thanks! I think he was trying to verify in his own way that I was legitimately military - like if I knew what was on my ID or not. It is very amateur of him and I was slightly irritated that he asked me my rank.

ilovejetnoise777

imported post

Dynamite Rabbit wrote:
ilovejetnoise777 wrote:
The reason they ask for an ID is so they can make sure that there is nothing that prevents you from legally owning a weapon. That's why you have to provide them with your ID when asked.

So if you're walking down the street with your kids, it's OK for them to demand ID to make sure you aren't legally prevented from being around children?

Or to stop you in your car for the sole purpose of making sure you have a license?

It's exactly the same, and no, they can't do that.

You argue a very good point. I really don't know. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they were responding to a call so they had to initiate contact with me and since my possession of the weapon was apparent, they needed to verify.

If I was walking down the street with my kids and a cop happened to drive by, he has absolutely no reasonable cause to stop me and demand identification. There is no apparent action to warrant his contact with me. I wasn't touching my kids inappropriately or anything, which would have caused him to dig deeper and see if I am legally allowed to be around kids. I did nothing to attract that kind of attention.

But with the OC incident, the thing I did was that I legally Open Carried my weapon which an ignorant someone brought to the attention of the LEOs, who in turn verified that I am legally allowed to possess a firearm.

I see those cops frequently, I'm going to bounce this off of them and see what they say. If I can't get something logical out of them, I know their boss and can ask him.

The bottom line is, I don't like to argue with people unless they are being a-holes. But when I do argue, I don't back down. I pick my battles and usually cops are not people I like to get into it with - except if we're sitting somewhere and talking about politics or something. Then I'll let him have a piece of my mind. But not when I'm the subject of a 911 call.

entartet17

imported post

ilovejetnoise777 wrote:
I just spoke with a Parker PD officer regarding those other officers asking me for an ID and he said that even though OC is perfectly legal, it's perfectly legal for citizens who are legally allowed to own a weapon. The reason they ask for an ID is so they can make sure that there is nothing that prevents you from legally owning a weapon. That's why you have to provide them with your ID when asked.

Regardless of what Parker PD says, the CANNOT demand your ID for OCing.

16-3-103. Stopping of suspect.
(1) A peace officer may stop any person who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime and may require him to give his name and address, identification if available, and an explanation of his actions. A peace officer shall not require any person who is stopped pursuant to this section to produce or divulge such person's social security number. The stopping shall not constitute an arrest.

According to People v. Archuleta, 616 P.2d 977 (Colo. 1980), The police may detain and require identification of a person if they have a reasonable suspicion, based on objective facts, that the person is involved in criminal conduct.

In order to lawfully detain an individual for questioning: (1) A police officer must have a reasonable suspicion that the individual has committed, or is about to commit, a crime; (2) the purpose of the detention must be reasonable; and (3) the character of the detention must be reasonable when considered in light of the purpose. People v. Stevens, 183 Colo. 399, 517 P.2d 1336 (1973); People v. Montoya, 185 Colo. 299, 524 P.2d 76 (1974); People v. Mascarenas, 726 P.2d 644 (Colo. 1986); People v. Ratcliff, 778 P.2d 1371 (Colo. 1989); People v. Wilson, 784 P.2d 325 (Colo. 1989); People v. Sutherland, 886 P.2d 681 (Colo. 1994); People v. Rodriguez, 924 P.2d 1100 (Colo. App. 1996), aff'd, 945 P.2d 1351 (Colo. 1997).

Also, according to Florida v. J.L. 529 U.S. 266 (2000):
"An anonymous tip that a person is carrying a gun is not, without more, sufficient to justify a police officer's stop and frisk of that person."

The Washington Appeals Court in State v. Casad (2004) said that detaining a man observed by police as openly carrying a rifle on a public street violates the Fourth Amendment.

And, of course, there's the well known case MATTHEW A. ST. JOHN v. DAVID McCOLLEY and THE SIX UNKNOWN OFFICERS OF THE ALAMOGORDO DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY, in which the United States District Court for New Mexico ruled:
"Moreover, Mr. St. John's lawful possession of a loaded firearm in a crowded place could not, by itself, create a reasonable suspicion sufficient to justify an investigatory detention.

"For example, in United States v. Ubiles, 224 F.3d 213 (3rd Cir. 2000), the Third Circuit found that an individual's lawful possession of a firearm in a crowded place did not justify a search or seizure. In Ubiles, officers seized Ubiles during a crowded celebration after they received a tip that he was carrying a gun. Id. at 214. Officers did so even though no applicable law prohibited Ubiles from carrying a firearm during the celebration. Id. at 218.

"Holding that the search violated Ubiles' Fourth Amendment rights, the court noted that the situation was no different than if the informant had told officers "that Ubiles possessed a wallet . . . and the authorities had stopped him for that reason."

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

I'm glad to see this conversation go the route it has on presenting ID. That was one of the things that stood out to me about the OP and I wasn't 100% sure of the local PD's legal right to demand ID.

Thanks for the clarification.

Kingfish

imported post

I think the second best thing about all this is that YOU did what YOU thought was right.

I think the BEST thing about this is that you are willing to become educated about your rights. This is awesome and speaks volumes about your character (that and your service.)

ilovejetnoise777

imported post

entartet17 wrote:
ilovejetnoise777 wrote:

Regardless of what Parker PD says, the CANNOT demand your ID for OCing.

16-3-103. Stopping of suspect.
(1) A peace officer may stop any person who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime and may require him to give his name and address, identification if available, and an explanation of his actions. A peace officer shall not require any person who is stopped pursuant to this section to produce or divulge such person's social security number. The stopping shall not constitute an arrest.

According to People v. Archuleta, 616 P.2d 977 (Colo. 1980), The police may detain and require identification of a person if they have a reasonable suspicion, based on objective facts, that the person is involved in criminal conduct.

In order to lawfully detain an individual for questioning: (1) A police officer must have a reasonable suspicion that the individual has committed, or is about to commit, a crime; (2) the purpose of the detention must be reasonable; and (3) the character of the detention must be reasonable when considered in light of the purpose. People v. Stevens, 183 Colo. 399, 517 P.2d 1336 (1973); People v. Montoya, 185 Colo. 299, 524 P.2d 76 (1974); People v. Mascarenas, 726 P.2d 644 (Colo. 1986); People v. Ratcliff, 778 P.2d 1371 (Colo. 1989); People v. Wilson, 784 P.2d 325 (Colo. 1989); People v. Sutherland, 886 P.2d 681 (Colo. 1994); People v. Rodriguez, 924 P.2d 1100 (Colo. App. 1996), aff'd, 945 P.2d 1351 (Colo. 1997).

Also, according to Florida v. J.L. 529 U.S. 266 (2000):
"An anonymous tip that a person is carrying a gun is not, without more, sufficient to justify a police officer's stop and frisk of that person."

The Washington Appeals Court in State v. Casad (2004) said that detaining a man observed by police as openly carrying a rifle on a public street violates the Fourth Amendment.

And, of course, there's the well known case MATTHEW A. ST. JOHN v. DAVID McCOLLEY and THE SIX UNKNOWN OFFICERS OF THE ALAMOGORDO DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY, in which the United States District Court for New Mexico ruled:
"Moreover, Mr. St. John's lawful possession of a loaded firearm in a crowded place could not, by itself, create a reasonable suspicion sufficient to justify an investigatory detention.

"For example, in United States v. Ubiles, 224 F.3d 213 (3rd Cir. 2000), the Third Circuit found that an individual's lawful possession of a firearm in a crowded place did not justify a search or seizure. In Ubiles, officers seized Ubiles during a crowded celebration after they received a tip that he was carrying a gun. Id. at 214. Officers did so even though no applicable law prohibited Ubiles from carrying a firearm during the celebration. Id. at 218.

"Holding that the search violated Ubiles' Fourth Amendment rights, the court noted that the situation was no different than if the informant had told officers "that Ubiles possessed a wallet . . . and the authorities had stopped him for that reason."

Hey thank you for sharing this!

I did speak to two other Parker PD officers this morning about this whole ID for OC thing. I'll save everyone the time and post the talking points here:

1- They did acknowledge I don't have to show them ID or talk to them. In which case they would ask me to leave the area and even then I don't have to because it's a public place.

2- I asked them how is it any different than being pulled over simply for driving a vehicle to see if I'm legally allowed to drive a car. They said, "well it's not a felony to drive a vehicle when you're not supposed to." I understand where they're coming from, but I completely disagree.

3- Their whole premise seemed to have been centered around looking for behavior outside of the norm. Again, I see their point, but don't agree with it whatsoever. Just because most people are either unwilling or indifferent towards the carrying of firearms, doesn't make my behavior "out of the norm" when I do choose to carry. It is a right given to me and practiced by many for as long as the constitution has been around.

4- I told them, "what if when I was on the phone to my friend, I just gave the officers my ID and told them I don't want to talk to them and they can go do their check on me on their own and then leave me alone." They paused and said "well we'd think there is something fishy going on and would probably call in a third squad car for help." I did express my astonishment to that comment.