• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What department manages the shooting ranges?

bomber

imported post

the DOW handles hunting and fishing, but the Forest Service administers the shooting ranges, i'm fairly sure. last time i was shooting in the national forest, i got a visit from the forest ranger.

cscitney87

imported post

bomber wrote:
last time i was shooting in the national forest, i got a visit from the forest ranger.
Wow no way. Tell me about it. Where were you, exactly? And how did that all go down? You were at a range, on NF land? OR were you just out in the boonies cliffs and mountains all around or what?

Where I go, it's a vertical hike down to a valley between to high peaks... Near the South Platte, in Bailey. Impossible to get to unless you're into hiking for an hour.

Pace

imported post

Huh, do you mean shooting ranges on public land, that would be the department that owns the land.

If you mean local shooting ranges in buildings, no idea? The owner?

bomber

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
bomber wrote:
last time i was shooting in the national forest, i got a visit from the forest ranger.
Wow no way. Tell me about it. Where were you, exactly? And how did that all go down? You were at a range, on NF land? OR were you just out in the boonies cliffs and mountains all around or what?

Where I go, it's a vertical hike down to a valley between to high peaks... Near the South Platte, in Bailey. Impossible to get to unless you're into hiking for an hour.

i was out near buffalo creek. it was a spot that was used for shooting, though not an actual range. it was in the national forest.

the forest ranger showed up, we saw him coming. we just put down our guns and waited for them (there were 2 in the truck). they got out, and i immediately noticed that they were dressed and geared as bona fide law enforcement (guns, badges, uniforms, radios).

they asked us how we were doing. they pointed that we were shooting in the wrong direction, as there was a road beyond where we were shooting (i dont think we were shooting and hitting the road because we were shooting at a downward angle and the road was up a hill, however, we shouldn't have been shooting in that direction but we didnt know about the road. it was obscured by several rows of trees). he told us to shoot the other direction, and have a nice day. that was it.

mahkagari

imported post

bomber wrote:
i dont think we were shooting and hitting the road because we were shooting at a downward angle and the road was up a hill
Unfortunately, you never know what a ricochet is going to do. I came across one mountain bicyclist's blog. He bragged about how while biking off trail, he and his buddies came across a legal NF range with backstop.They took it upon themselves to ride across the backstop to "show them rednecks who's boss". He laughed about the shooters yelling at his clicka about their safety that the "dumb rednecks weren't shooting up so we were fine".

It's great that the rangers were cool about it.

bomber

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
bomber wrote:
i dont think we were shooting and hitting the road because we were shooting at a downward angle and the road was up a hill
Unfortunately, you never know what a ricochet is going to do. I came across one mountain bicyclist's blog. He bragged about how while biking off trail, he and his buddies came across a legal NF range with backstop.They took it upon themselves to ride across the backstop to "show them rednecks who's boss". He laughed about the shooters yelling at his clicka about their safety that the "dumb rednecks weren't shooting up so we were fine".

It's great that the rangers were cool about it.

wow. some people are so dumb.

yeah, if i had known about the road, i definitely wouldn't have been shooting in that direction. but i was breaking the rule, know your target and beyond