• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questioned at Wally World tonight La Crosse South

JJC

imported post

I was in Wally world tonight when a employee approached me.

Him: He started by saying that he was aware of my second amendment rights. And he's seen others OCing in the store.

Him: He asked if the safety was on.

Me: Educated him that the Glock 22 doesn't have a manual safety.

Him: He then asked if the Glock was loaded.

Me: Educated him that a Glock with out shells isn't worth much for defense.

Me:I said to him that it was my understanding that Walmart followed State law.

Him: He said that as far as he knew I was correct.

Me: I said to him lets take a short cut.

Me: "How about if I show you my permit."

Him: You have a permit?

Me: Yes, I'm allowed to carry in over 30 states.

Him: I guess that would be OK, if you don't mind.

Me: Not a problem.

First showed my my "Florida" permit, followed by "Utah" followed by "Minnesota" finally my Instructors ID.

Him: This is not a problem.

Him: He shook my hand, thanked me and walked away, I continued shopping.

I know some of you out there are going to flame me and, I know I didn't have to do this this way, but I've been thinking about this for quite some time, and for me it worked.

By the way, I'm planning on attending the picnic in Eau Claire on Sunday.

JJC

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I understand you just wanted him to go away but I think that is misinforming the public. Just be honest. If the guy can't handle the truth that is his problem there is nothing he can do about it since he already admitted he knows Walmart follows state law.

Besides Wisconsin does not recognize your permits so telling Joe Blow that you have permits to carry is still lying. I don't think this helps the cause at all. If the guy finds this information out on his own he will only be less trusting of the next OCer he encounters.

Leave the out of state permits out of it.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I will agree with Gleason on this one. Wisconsin does not give nor does it require a permit of any kind to OC. Providing permits and instructor certifications simply make the ignorant believe a fallacy.

What is the ordinary "no permit" guy to tell them now?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So what exactly was the point of him confronting you? He was aware of store policy and of the law, so not sure what his intent was.

But I'll agree as well, I wouldn't have shown him the permits.

Least if I were to run into that same guy who now says I need a permit, I got 4 I can show him. :D

(JKing by the way. I wouldn't want to mislead him any more)

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I only need one in WI.

Atricle 1, Section 25: The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

That's it, that's all I need.

professor gun

imported post

logan wrote:
So what exactly was the point of him confronting you? He was aware of store policy and of the law, so not sure what his intent was.

Least if I were to run into that same guy who now says I need a permit, I got 4 I can show him. :D

It sounds like maybe he was just curious about open carry and had some questions.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

professor gun wrote:
logan wrote:

It sounds like maybe he was just curious about open carry and had some questions.
That is kind of how I took it also. Too bad he was misled.

B

bhancock

imported post

professor gun wrote:
logan wrote:

Which would have been an excellent time to educate him on the right of average citizens to open carry, makes me without special permits feel a little dissed, as if I,m just barely open carrying by the flimsy provision of the law. I am not flaming you and can't stand in your shoes, I am just saying now if I run into this guy, I have twice as much to explain to him. Why you felt you needed to prove your ability to open Carry and why I feel I need nothing more than the state constitution.

professor gun

imported post

I teach self defense classes for women that are mostly empty hand techniques but we also have a segment on proper pepper spray use as well as firearms for self defense. When I explain to the class that in Wisconsin we have the right to openly carry a handgun in public and that more people are doing that, the students are typically shocked. They have no idea we can OC, after they get past the shock then there are a lot of questions about where and how, along with budding interest in trying out handgun shooting. These are young women ages 22 to 26 in a professional graduate program.

As more citizens openly carry there is a lot of curiosity about this among the non-gun folks like this fellow at Wal-Mart.

M

McX

imported post

you can always tell how undereducated, or uninformed an individual is when your permit that is useless in wisconsin passes their muster.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

professor gun wrote:
I teach self defense classes for women that are mostly empty hand techniques but we also have a segment on proper pepper spray use as well as firearms for self defense. When I explain to the class that in Wisconsin we have the right to openly carry a handgun in public and that more people are doing that, the students are typically shocked. They have no idea we can OC, after they get past the shock then there are a lot of questions about where and how, along with budding interest in trying out handgun shooting. These are young women ages 22 to 26 in a professional graduate program.

As more citizens openly carry there is a lot of curiosity about this among the non-gun folks like this fellow at Wal-Mart.
Thank you for that. Your classes are an excellent opportunity to teach women that they have the right to defend themselves even to the point of deadly force.

bigdaddy1

imported post

professor gun wrote:

So, do you need any help in class?????

professor gun

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
professor gun wrote:

So, do you need any help in class?????
Depends upon your qualifications. :lol:

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I have a FL permit and it has NEVER crossed my mind to perpetuate a myth in Wisconsin that you need a permit by showing it.

Even if Wisconsin were to pass a permit-issue law I sure as hell would NEVER show my permit to a civilian... not even a mall-cop... and for sure not a walmart employee.

The state is already full of people with 'special privileges'. I hope in the future people put the cause above their own personal interests or personal benefit.

Speaking in general here. (not directed at the OP) At a bare minimum I hope people who are so proud of their cornucopia of plastic government registration cards burning a hole in their wallet that they feel compelled to produce them to civilians who have no authority to ask for them will at least in addition inform these random civilians that you don't need a permit in Wisconsin.

If not, I fear that one might make it worse for the next guy who OC's in there who this employee feels empowered to demand to see a permit from.

Tree_Planter

imported post

An out-of-state permit shows 2 things: you have permission to carry in states that require you obtain permission before carrying, and you have demonstrated some level of competence. It's the latter that puts some people at ease, although usually for reasons even they don't understand. Training tends to benefit the student more than the general population.

hardballer

imported post

JJC wrote:
Me: "How about if I show you my permit."

Him: You have a permit?

Me: Yes, I'm allowed to carry in over 30 states.

Him: I guess that would be OK, if you don't mind.

First, perpetuating a myth that a permit allows carry in Wisconsin does us all a dis-service.

Brad_Krause wrote:
It's the latter that puts some people at ease,

Second; I don't really want to put people at ease by lying to them.

I prefer putting them at ease by explaining the truth to them. Dis-information is not helpful to our cause.

We do not need some legislator trying to pass laws that "license" us for OC or CCW. Licensing is a crock. Training is good. fine. Licensing bad. Leads to qualifying and then possessing.

Hardballer out.

hardballer

imported post

One more thing, I stepped into my bank today, armed and prepared. I was asked by a female loan officer; "is that a gun?" "Is it a stun gun?" "Is it loaded?" "Why do you carry it?" "Is it legal?" "Do you have a permit for that thing?" This from a bank officer. She was a little un-easy.

I found this an opportunity to explain myself. Yes it is a gun. No it is not a stun gun. Yes it is loaded. I carry for self-defense and to defend my family, friends and neighbors. It is legal. The Wisconsin Constitution enumerates my right to keep and bear arms for any legal purpose. The Constitution of the United States of America also enumerates this right. No, I don't need a permit, The Constitution is my permit. Thanks for asking, by the way, we are having an open carry picnic in the Eau Claire area and you're welcome to join us. There will be many women carring there too.

I left her with a Wisconsin Carry pamphlet.

Hardballer out.

ManInBlack

imported post

Brad_Krause wrote:
An out-of-state permit shows 2 things: you have permission to carry in states that require you obtain permission before carrying, and you have demonstrated some level of competence. It's the latter that puts some people at ease, although usually for reasons even they don't understand. Training tends to benefit the student more than the general population.

What about states like Washington, Georgia and Pennsylvania, which do not have a training requirement to obtain a CC permit?