• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questioned at Wally World tonight La Crosse South

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

professor gun wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:
professor gun wrote:
I teach self defense classes for women that are mostly empty hand techniques but we also have a segment on proper pepper spray use as well as firearms for self defense. When I explain to the class that in Wisconsin we have the right to openly carry a handgun in public and that more people are doing that, the students are typically shocked. They have no idea we can OC, after they get past the shock then there are a lot of questions about where and how, along with budding interest in trying out handgun shooting. These are young women ages 22 to 26 in a professional graduate program.

As more citizens openly carry there is a lot of curiosity about this among the non-gun folks like this fellow at Wal-Mart.
So, do you need any help in class?????
Depends upon your qualifications. :lol:
I am available to teach in the Green Bay area :cool:

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

hardballer wrote:
One more thing, I stepped into my bank today, armed and prepared. I was asked by a female loan officer; "is that a gun?" "Is it a stun gun?" "Is it loaded?" "Why do you carry it?" "Is it legal?" "Do you have a permit for that thing?" This from a bank officer. She was a little un-easy.

I found this an opportunity to explain myself. Yes it is a gun. No it is not a stun gun. Yes it is loaded. I carry for self-defense and to defend my family, friends and neighbors. It is legal. The Wisconsin Constitution enumerates my right to keep and bear arms for any legal purpose. The Constitution of the United States of America also enumerates this right. No, I don't need a permit, The Constitution is my permit. Thanks for asking, by the way, we are having an open carry picnic in the Eau Claire area and you're welcome to join us. There will be many women carring there too.

I left her with a Wisconsin Carry pamphlet.

Hardballer out.
The ladies my CU know I carry and won't ask me about it. There is no question that they know. I was in there several times in two weeks to open an account to run the moneyfor the picnic through. I caught the manager looking at it. No fear or uneasiness that I could sense. It helps that I have been going there for 20 years. Some of the older ladies have account numbers of members memorized.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Brad_Krause wrote:
An out-of-state permit shows 2 things: you have permission to carry in states that require you obtain permission before carrying, and you have demonstrated some level of competence. It's the latter that puts some people at ease, although usually for reasons even they don't understand. Training tends to benefit the student more than the general population.
So your in favor of misleading the general public into thinking that an out of state permit which isn't worth crap in Wisconsin gives you the green light to OC?

How about the fact that it is just legal and your right to do so. Wow, nothing misleading about that now is there?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

How did I know this was going to be made into a training issue by a firearms instructor?

Facts are facts get training if you want it. It should never be mandated and take those permits and stick them where the sun don't shine.

Constitutional Carry period. Stop compromising.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

professor gun wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
I only volunteered because of the WOMANZ :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

You guys are bad.:)
I also took the Minn/Fla CCW class, Action pistol concepts beginner & advanced, took a Urban Carbine class,have competed in IPSC matches. Yeah I am qualified to teach people new to pistols & rifles - Safety, how to shoot, take care of themselves. Was also in the Infantry for a while.

M

McX

imported post

aparently the rod and the staff confort the sheep. a piece of paper, could be a fake, is accepted. for some it means your regulated, for some it means your taxed, for some it means your trained. since they don't know what the hell their talking about- or looking at, how valid is a piece of paper realy.

a shameless plug for consitutional carry.

professor gun

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
professor gun wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
I only volunteered because of the WOMANZ :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

I also took the Minn/Fla CCW class, Action pistol concepts beginner & advanced, took a Urban Carbine class,have competed in IPSC matches. Yeah I am qualified to teach people new to pistols & rifles -  Safety, how to shoot, take care of themselves. Was also in the Infantry for a while.

OK. You are hired, Glock34.:)

Is there an urban carbine class out there that you would recommend? I have always been interested in trying one of those.

hardballer

imported post

SCATTERED. . . .

Let's get back on topic.

We do not want to lie to the public. The truth shall set you free, just tell it as it is.

Constitutional Carry

Don't need a permit, license or training.

Just the truth.

P.S. Start a new thread if you want to sell something.

Hardballer out.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

professor gun wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
professor gun wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

I also took the Minn/Fla CCW class, Action pistol concepts beginner & advanced, took a Urban Carbine class,have competed in IPSC matches. Yeah I am qualified to teach people new to pistols & rifles - Safety, how to shoot, take care of themselves. Was also in the Infantry for a while.

OK. You are hired, Glock34.:)

Is there an urban carbine class out there that you would recommend? I have always been interested in trying one of those.
A buddy of mine taught a class a few years ago, but he has since stopped teaching Urban Carbine ( 3 kids / single father, works full time...no time for classes ) if you go to ar15.com - home town forum - look on top for classes.

Canard

imported post

Back to topic and the OP.

What were you thinking? You essentially provided someone with false credentials. Credentials which have zero validity in this state. You may have given one person a better feeling about your personal ability to carry but you in NO WAY educated them on OC. If fact you completely misled this poor fellow making it more problematic for the next OCer he runs into. He may also start "educating" others based on the misinformation you gave him. This type of approach really takes what we are trying to accomplish with the right to carry in WI and throws it out the window. The only credential that you could have legitimately shown this guy would have been the 2nd Amendment itself.

Carry on, just more responsibly.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Canard wrote:
...The only credential that you could have legitimately shown this guy would have been the 2nd Amendment itself....
Article 1, Section 25 of the Wisconsin State constitution would be even better.

johnny amish

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
Canard wrote:
...The only credential that you could have legitimately shown this guy would have been the 2nd Amendment itself....
Article 1, Section 25 of the Wisconsin State constitution would be even better.

The people have the right to keep and bear arms for...Security, Defense, Hunting, Recreation or any other lawful purpose.

Key word in all of this is right, that is what we need to be telling the public when they ask us questions. No permits, no permission from some government agency, no nothing, this is our right, andalso it is the right of the employee who had questions. Does he know that he has the right also?We need to share this message every chance we get.

Tree_Planter

imported post

Brad: Training tends to benefit the student more than the general population.
Brokensproket: PLEASE ELABORATE.

People in Wisconsin are not required to obtain a permit before they carry a sidearm in public. (Wisconsin has no permit system.) This is similar to being able to drive a car without a license, drivers must still know the rules of the road and the law, or face the consequences.

Like with cars before licenses were mandatory, many people choose to obtain some sort of formal education on carrying sidearms in public. A good instructor will cover quite a range of topics, including functional, moral, legal, and practical aspects of daily carry, along with ways to minimize the damages that happen after an attack from both the attacker and the court system.

I became an instructor for many reasons, partly because people called me after something happened and needed help. I quickly discovered that if people knew the information before they needed it, they would be in a much better situation before, during, and after their event, and not have lost thousands of dollars and a good part of their life due to struggling through our legal system.

A minimal side benefit is training allows people to apply for out-of-state permits so they can carry when away from home. Sometimes, as relayed by JJC, people use their permit to demonstrate they have gone "over-and-above" what is required by law, and have obtained the knowledge of how to lawfully carry lethal force in public.

Brad Krause
Instructor, Wisconsin Civil Rights Advocate, and someone who still plants trees armed
Notice: Not legal or other advice

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:
I only need one in WI.

Atricle 1, Section 25: The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

That's it, that's all I need.
X2!
X3!

CCW permits are not recognized by the state of Wisconsin period.

Flashing these permits at anyone who has questions on OC is nothing more than misleading the public. It does not mean that you are anymore capable of handling a firearm then someone without a permit.

In fact you will find that many criminals are better firearms handlers then firearms instructors.

Practice makes perfect.

Educate the public properly and don't mislead them, it does nothing for the cause.

M

McX

imported post

i wouldn't show my out of state permit either, it just gives a weenie of a cop the opportunity to make trouble for you on your out of state permit. i use it in state to show the ignorant.