• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun stores

edrolee

imported post

i went into a gun store earlier this week for the first time in 14 or 15 years and i must say i was slightly saddened

maybe things have changed a lot in the last several years but the 4 or 5 gun shops i used to go to in the mid 90s had at least 20 feet of counters with new hand guns and maybe 10 feet of used handguns and probably twice that much in long guns and a good 10 feet of ammo for sale now these gun shops were in Dunn, Benson, and Rocky Mount

the one i went into yesterday while the guys were nice and knowledgeable had maybe 10 feet of guns in cases that look like they came out of the general store that my late grandmother ran in the 80's and at least half of the handguns looked to be used

are there any places like i remember left? someplace with a good selection of NEW handguns or that would/could order what i want? (i'd prefer to actually hold the firearm i want to purchase before i layout the cash for it)

i live in greenville and have my mind set on a taurus 357 7shot revolver, 1911, or a model 845 or just about any other 1911 (for some reason my preference is to have a handgun with a hammer either in 357 or 45acp)

i'm willing to travel the state to get what i want (also i have thought about places like bud's gun shop or other online places but like i said i really want to hold it in my hands before i pay for it <or at the very least hold the same model> )

thanks in advance for any help

Dragon88

imported post

Ed's Guns in Vass, NC. Ed has a great selection, even if you don't see what you want in the cases and racks he probably has something for you in the back room. His pricing is excellent, better than any store I've visited. He can order anything you want. Lot's of ammo, both new factory and mil surplus. He also posts daily on his forum to show new arrivals at the shop and new guns in the used counter. Ed's is right off US 1.

http://www.edsgunshop.com/
http://www.edsgunshop.com/forum/

elixin77

imported post

Adventure Outfitters in Winterville is a nice place. The guys behind the counter are knowledgeable too, and if he gets in a talking mood, he'll tell stories.

Dreamer

imported post

I totally agree with the assessment of Adventure Outfitters in Winterville. They gave me a great deal on a Walther P22.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/Adventure.Outfitters.252-355-8996

Try Doc's Gun and Pawn in Greenville. They deal ENTIRELY in used guns, but they have a pretty decent selection of all kinds of stuff, from inexpensive revolvers to ultra-expensive vintage 1911's to super-custom "BBQ guns".

http://docsgunandpawn.com/

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, you owe it to yourself to drive up to Mackey's Landing Firearms in Jamesville NC.

http://mackeyslanding.com/

You won't find any great bargains there, but they have a TREMENDOUS selection--new used, cheap, expensive, common, ultra-rare, long guns, pistols--heck, they even have some semiauto Barrett 50cal rifles if you've got $4000 to drop...

Of course, you can always use Gunbroker.com. If you can't find what you want locally, you can almost ALWAYS find it on Gunbroker, and have it shipped to you through an FFL. Adventure Outfitters and D&L Guns in Winterville will both accept out-of-state transfers and do the proper paperwork for you, for a small fee...

D&L Guns:
http://www.gunshopfinder.com/bytownresults.asp?ID=4301

Kivuli

imported post

Going even further than that, Hyatt's Guns - http://www.hyattguns.com/ in Charlotte, NC is a quite large gun store that has new and used along with all kinds of gear. If they don't have it, they can get it.

Unfortunately, that's the biggest gun store in middle-NC I know of. All the ones here in the triad are, while good stores, smaller than the ones you're looking for.

Gilly

imported post

Four Seasons in Goldsboro is great. They don't have a lot of overhead but are great guys and get it if they don't have it.

WTs is nice because of their huge selection and indoor range. Their prices are considerably higher than Four Seasons and they don't allow customers to carry in the store. I usually browse in WTs and order buy from Four Seasons.

ocgso

imported post

Ken's Gunstore in Madison NC

He is an authorized dealer for about a dozen different brands and can order just about anything you want within a week. FNH, Smith, Ruger, Taurus, Glock, Springfield, all in stock and can order.

I wanted a 327 mag, and he told me he could get me the Taurus or the Ruger in less than 10 days. Every other store I went to around Greensboro said I could keep callingand they would tell me if they had one then.......

It is a family business that was started by his dad. He is knowledgable and is also a gunsmith. He carries ammo for everything he sells as well (something that many don't do).

He probably has nearly 100 handguns on display on any given day also.

Resto Guy

imported post

I've been to Doc's a half dozen times the last couple ofyears, and it has always been a waste of gas and time.Yeah, I'm a slow learner:D, but I won't be going back.

Shop at Adventure Outfitters for your guns and ammo.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

I carry in Four Seasons all the time. Roger and Mike are both great guys and they can order anything you need. Like the other poster said, I go to WTs to handle it and see it and play with it, then go to four seasons to buy it. I just prefer to spend my money in a place where they don't assume just becuase I have a gun on my hip I must be there to rob them.

WildIndian Gun located on Hwy 13 is also gun friendly. Never had a problem when I carried there. Seems like to me WT is a minority.

I can also relate to the price thing. Ruger LCP @ WT's....$369, Wild indian $299, Four Seasons, $289 + 1free box of Winchester ammo, Neuse Sports Shop $389. Needless to say I bought mine and my buddy bought his @ Four Seasons. We did go to WT's to look, though!

Is it worth $80 to me to wait 4 days for it to be ordered? Hell yeah. But in this case Four Seasons had them in stock.

WT's always has some gimmick going on to get you in the store. Such as their "Buy a gun get $25 off" deal. Let's see...We'll mark it up $50 more and then give them $25 off.

"Business goes where it feels welcome and stays where it is well treated."

"NO GUNS ALLOWED IN OUR STORE, but please feel free to give us your money."

edrolee

finaly NC has released

my tax money and i have been able to purchase my first handgun.....

got it from adventure outfitters in winterville on friday, haven't had the chance to fire it yet but i have been familiarizing myself with it

i torn between one of 4 guns

either a Taurus 66 w/ a 4" barrel
a Taurus 845
a Taurus 1911
or a Ruger P345

was never able to find a 845 or 66 to actually look at

but the moment i held the 1911 in my hand i was hooked, i only bought the base model, and i cannot be sure till i get the chance to shoot it, but i may be in love :)

elixin77

but the moment i held the 1911 in my hand i was hooked, i only bought the base model, and i cannot be sure till i get the chance to shoot it, but i may be in love :)

You will be. its what I shoot, and the moment I held it, I was in love. This was even after holding the glock 19 and thinking i liked it (and i still do).

Maverick9110e

Check out Davi's. I just went in today for my first time. WOW, awesome shop and really great people working there.

http://www.davisguns.com/

They have an indoor range that their hoping to have open by the fall.

instore100.jpg

instore200.jpg

r1dramma

Going even further than that, Hyatt's Guns - http://www.hyattguns.com/ in Charlotte, NC is a quite large gun store that has new and used along with all kinds of gear. If they don't have it, they can get it.

Unfortunately, that's the biggest gun store in middle-NC I know of. All the ones here in the triad are, while good stores, smaller than the ones you're looking for.

Just my own personal opinion,I would stay clear of Hyatt's! They tend to be over priced and they also charge you 12$ for a so called brady fee which when I called and asked them ,there reply was that it was a fee associated with the paperwork for the gun which none of the other gunshops in Charlotte charge.I believe that the charge is for the NICS check which doesn't cost them anything and isn't needed if you have a CWP! Just my own .02$ I would give Shooter's Express in Belmont,Carolina Sporting Arms on South Blvd in Charlotte or Firepower NC in Mathews if you happen to make it over to this side of NC!!!! GoodLuck with 1911 that's next on my list!!!!

Last edited:

edrolee

my next

will be a revolver hopefully either a Taurus 66SS4 or 66B4

although, my wife told me, the next purchase for my family will be 380 or 9mm with pink accents for her

r1dramma

will be a revolver hopefully either a Taurus 66SS4 or 66B4

although, my wife told me, the next purchase for my family will be 380 or 9mm with pink accents for her

That's funny! I was about to take back my LCP from my girlfriend and get her the raspberry edition and she said no way,she would prefer to keep the black one and that If I wanted to get a raspberry colored gun for myself that would be ok with her!!!!!!!!!!

TFED12

Davi's is extremely overpriced and will not let you carry inside their store! They have a sign when you walk in that states "No firearms beyond this point" . It's just as you walk in the door.