• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MTMckinley bank Branch Manger

Wirelesscto

imported post

Hey all I had a small issue with a Branch Manger in the Delta Junction area!
I went in to the branchwith a customer who ask me to drive him to town.I personally know the Branch manger I walked in and said hello...

He got up from his desk and said hell No Get out this is private property...

I told him I was with Steve and thatI was driving him to pick up agift card...

He then told me to get out that my gun in aholster made his customers un easy...

There was no one in the Branch!!!

Below is the letter from the ops manager what you guys think?

Hello Brian,

As I said on the phone Mt. McKinley Bank does not have a policy to limit people from carrying their firearms onto bank premises. I do not see this policy changing in the near future. If we decided to post our property we would notify our depositors in advance so that they would have plenty of notice of the change in policy.

I have to accept responsibility for Pablo not knowing this policy as we had discussed it some months earlier and I failed inform him that we would not be posting any limitation on our buildings.

I talked with Pablo this evening and let him know my error in not communicating this information. I apologize for any inconvenience that you incurred today.

Feel free to contact me with any comments you may have.

Patty Mongold

Sr. Vice President & Chief Operations Officer

Mt. McKinley Bank

500 Fourth Avenue

Fairbanks AK 99701

Voice (907) 452-1751 Fax (907) 456-5982

pmongold@mtmckinleybank.com

www.mtmckinleybank.com

Wirelesscto

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Wirelesscto wrote:
Hey all I had a small issue with a Branch Manger in the Delta Junction area!
I went in to the branchwith a customer who ask me to drive him to town.I personally know the Branch manger I walked in and said hello...

He got up from his desk and said hell No Get out this is private property...

I told him I was with Steve and thatI was driving him to pick up agift card...

He then told me to get out that my gun in aholster made his customers un easy...

There was no one in the Branch!!!

Below is the letter from the ops manager what you guys think?

Hello Brian,

As I said on the phone Mt. McKinley Bank does not have a policy to limit people from carrying their firearms onto bank premises. I do not see this policy changing in the near future. If we decided to post our property we would notify our depositors in advance so that they would have plenty of notice of the change in policy.

I have to accept responsibility for Pablo not knowing this policy as we had discussed it some months earlier and I failed inform him that we would not be posting any limitation on our buildings.

I talked with Pablo this evening and let him know my error in not communicating this information. I apologize for any inconvenience that you incurred today.

Feel free to contact me with any comments you may have.

Patty Mongold

Sr. Vice President & Chief Operations Officer

Mt. McKinley Bank

500 Fourth Avenue

Fairbanks AK 99701

Voice (907) 452-1751 Fax (907) 456-5982

pmongold@mtmckinleybank.com

http://www.mtmckinleybank.com

I think Pablo owes you an apology.
I'd go back in OC'ing the biggest hand gun I could find, expect to get it and demand it if it wasn't forthcoming.

Yeah I dont think i go that far but i do have a Gold Titanium plated Desert Eagle My wife bought me for our 10th Anv. maybe i will start to carry it LOL...

I think I will stick to my Glock 38 though.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grace marks the high road.

I gave up requiring or expecting apologies a long time ago. It just forces the other person to admit he was wrongandtakes away a little piece of him.

If an apology is freely offered, I would gracefully accept it, for his sake. And then forget all about it.

If one was not freely offered, I would still forget all about it. I might even let him know I harbored no hard feelings (surely his supervisor will clear up his misunderstanding for him by the time you return.)

Wirelesscto

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grace marks the high road.

I gave up requiring or expecting apologies a long time ago. It just forces the other person to admit he was wrongandtakes away a little piece of him.

If an apology is freely offered, I would gracefully accept it, for his sake. And then forget all about it.

If one was not freely offered, I would still forget all about it. I might even let him know I harbored no hard feelings (surely his supervisor will clear up his misunderstanding for him by the time you return.)

I knwo this guy he is a former armed services officer I think He may have even been a officer and he is not going to do say or do anything besides not even talk to me.

I will how ever really offer any and all people in the area a free ride to the bank anytime they need to go.... That will do it lol.

Brian

Flintlock

imported post

Brian,

I am confused. You adamantly argued with me about a year or so agoabout the notion that you didn't believe it was legal to carry in banks per federal law.Me and several others disputed your contentionvehemently and you kept referring to your lawyer told you so and so forth... I remember this debate very well.

Now you post a thread about you carrying in a bank despite the fact that you were sopointed about it being such a no-no. Please explain this curious reversal just so we mayunderstand you a littlebetter.

I have scrolled all over and it appears that several of our posts and maybe eventhat entire thread may have been summarily deleted...

Wirelesscto

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Brian,

I am confused. You adamantly argued with me about a year or so agoabout the notion that you didn't believe it was legal to carry in banks per federal law.Me and several others disputed your contentionvehemently and you kept referring to your lawyer told you so and so forth... I remember this debate very well.

Now you post a thread about you carrying in a bank despite the fact that you were sopointed about it being such a no-no. Please explain this curious reversal just so we mayunderstand you a littlebetter.

I have scrolled all over and it appears that several of our posts and maybe eventhat entire thread may have been summarily deleted...

I was refering to CCW in banks a year ago!!!!
>
>
>
> The above is legal open carry in a branch in which the manager tried to
> tresspass me for carrying in the open.....
>
>
>
> As you can see there COO has set him straight and As I have always said I
> carry everywhere that is legal to do so...
>
>
>
> This is not the first time I have carried in this branch and the day after
> there legal department last year told this same manager that there policy
> was that everyone was allowed to carry in the open in there bank. I took the
> person that I had taken in the first time right back in and they opened an
> account... This manager has a thing for singling out people that are open
> carrying and telling them they cannot. I will keep up the fight in Delta to
> make sure that people are allow to do what we legally can....
>
>
>
> In this Case it was to call the COO to inform her that her manager was in the
> wrong and make sure that it goes on his record!!! If it happens again after
> the above letter I will take it to my civil attorney and I personally will
> file against this civil rights vololation.
>
>
>
> Brian
>
>
[/code]

Flintlock

imported post

Wirelesscto wrote:
I was refering to CCW in banks a year ago!!!!
>
>
>
> The above is legal open carry in a branch in which the manager tried to
> tresspass me for carrying in the open.....
>
>
>
> As you can see there COO has set him straight and As I have always said I
> carry everywhere that is legal to do so...
>
>
>
> This is not the first time I have carried in this branch and the day after
> there legal department last year told this same manager that there policy
> was that everyone was allowed to carry in the open in there bank. I took the
> person that I had taken in the first time right back in and they opened an
> account... This manager has a thing for singling out people that are open
> carrying and telling them they cannot. I will keep up the fight in Delta to
> make sure that people are allow to do what we legally can....
>
>
>
> In this Case it was to call the COO to inform her that her manager was in the
> wrong and make sure that it goes on his record!!! If it happens again after
> the above letter I will take it to my civil attorney and I personally will
> file against this civil rights vololation.
>
>
>
> Brian
>
>
Code:
Thanks for the clarification. 

I am sure manyothers, includingmyself,still vehemently disagree with your contention that concealed carrying in a bankisn't legal, particularly when you believe open carry in them is allowed, butat this point itseems like a wasted argument.My main issue wasn't about what you believe, it is about what you teach your students...

Wirelesscto

imported post

Ok lets talk about anouther subject of great debate?

Post offices??? Is open and CCW legal in a post office if you are there to say pickup your mail???

I say yes after reading the federal Law what about you guys?

david.ross

imported post

You're not allowed to carry a firearm on post office property, not even in a vehicle while unloaded. There was an appeal in the south in federal court, and they ruled the car wasn't an extension of the home.

Just park on another property, leave the firearm in the car and walk over to the post office.

Wirelesscto

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
You're not allowed to carry a firearm on post office property, not even in a vehicle while unloaded. There was an appeal in the south in federal court, and they ruled the car wasn't an extension of the home.

Just park on another property, leave the firearm in the car and walk over to the post office.

but in the code its says

Looking at 18 USC 930, it would appear, at first blush, that carrying firearms is prohibited. That section provides:

1. § 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

Release date: 2004-08-06

a. Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
So part of the confusion is rooted in the wording of this section. The prohibition applies to "Federal facilit(ies)" except as provide for in subsection (d). Subsection (d) provides:

1. (d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to-

(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;

(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

so if you are there for lawful reason or to hunt there is an exeption right?

david.ross

imported post

The post office is not a federal building, this has been established. (someone else can cite, can't find the info)

There is a code which was upheld by an appeals court.

39 C.F.R. § 232.1
Code:
(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may 
carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either 
openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for 
official purposes.

Wirelesscto

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
The post office is not a federal building, this has been established. (someone else can cite, can't find the info)

39 C.F.R. § 232.1
Code:
official purposes.
there are two things I see here one is

except for official purposes. I am trying to find the definition of this now haven't found it yet.

the buildings are owed by or rented by the federal govemrent and in 1980 something by regan they where given to the areas as common use buildings so there are some that say around several websites that they do fall under the federal build code..

there have been several case in which people have not been charge because of above. there are also a few place that have tried to charge under what you have stated lets see what happens in appeals.

the other is only the below may enforce the section you have quoted!

q) Enforcement. (1) Members of the U.S. Postal Service security
force shall exercise the powers of special policemen provided by 40
U.S.C. 318 and shall be responsible for enforcing the regulations in
this section in a manner that will protect Postal Service property.

Here is someone else talkign about the same thing and with simular views as I on this?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/7601.html

Wirelesscto

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:

39 C.F.R. § 232.1
Code:
official purposes.
there are two things I see here one is

except for official purposes. I am trying to find the definition of this now haven't found it yet.

the buildings are owed by or rented by the federal govemrent and in 1980 something by regan they where given to the areas as common use buildings so there are some that say around several websites that they do fall under the federal build code..

there have been several case in which people have not been charge because of above. there are also a few place that have tried to charge under what you have stated lets see what happens in appeals.

the other is only the below may enforce the section you have quoted!

Here is someone else talkign about the same thing and with simular views as I on this?

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Wirelesscto wrote:

Post offices??? Is open and CCW legal in a post office if you are there to say pickup your mail???

Please provide a cite to the specific federal law you were reading!

Wirelesscto

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
Wirelesscto wrote:

its was above but here is is again
Looking at 18 USC 930, it would appear, at first blush, that carrying firearms is prohibited. That section provides:

a. Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
So part of the confusion is rooted in the wording of this section. The prohibition applies to "Federal facilit(ies)" except as provide for in subsection (d). Subsection (d) provides:

(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;

(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Wirelesscto wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
Wirelesscto wrote:

That is NOT the law that makes it illegal to carry in the post office. Try title 39 as is posted earlier in this thread.

Wirelesscto

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
Wirelesscto wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
Wirelesscto wrote:

That is NOT the law that makes it illegal to carry in the post office. Try title 39 as is posted earlier in this thread.

Title 39 can only be enforced as stated by

Ready this post as well

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Wirelesscto wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
Wirelesscto wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
Wirelesscto wrote:

Title 39 can only be enforced as stated by

Ready this post as well

The enforcement power per this regulation can also be DELEGATED! per Title 39

I had previously seen the reference to Title 18 but since the OP had not posted which Federal law he was reading to make his determination, I felt it was incumbant upon someone to ask him.